"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-03-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
Sous Chef

ISO non-perishable sandwich ideas

I need something I can take for lunch that does not require refrigeration.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:29 AM   #2
Executive Chef

It really depends on what temperature the sandwich is going to be kept at.

There are insulated lunch boxes on available for purchase. These would keep your sandwich cooler, especially if you include a frezer block.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Temperature will be near room temperature.

I have tried to find an insulated lunch container but have been unable to find one small enough to fit in my bag.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:43 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Here is a list of foods that are safe for 4-6 hours at room temp: EB1490, Pack a Safe Lunch

Also, there's a blog about Japanese bento lunches that are held at room temp: Just Bento | meal in a box: healthy bento recipes, tips, and more

HTH.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I like that article GotGarlic - great ideas. I've never thought of freezing the sandwiches. I also thought all cheese would be unsafe.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I've been eating sandwiches for lunch for about 45 years now, from ham and cheese to mushroom cheesesteaks, to leftover Sunday dinner meats, to tuna salad, and I HAVE NEVER, EVER REFRIGERATED THEM!

I've kept them in a paper sack, I've left them in my car or in my locker at school, I've stored them in a briefcase and in my computer bag, and have never had a problem with them lasting at least 6 hours. Don't be so paranoid. EVERYTHING won't kill you!
Old 02-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Caine - I can assume you didn't leave them in a HOT car, correct? And everything won't kill you - but it sure can make you VERY sick!

You can always buy one of those small freezer gel paks/containers and put it in a zip-lock bag. Stick that, along with your sandwich, in a paper bag - it should be fine.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Like Caine, I put just about ANYTHING on my sandwiches, have never refrigerated them, and never had a problem. Of course, I don't leave them lying in the sun, or in a hot car. But room temperature, definitely.

Oh, and cheese? We take cheese tramping many many times, and it lasts for days without a problem. The quality is compromised, but I don't think it's unsafe.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
And if you pack it with a cold bottle of water or soda, it will help extend the bag life.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:42 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Once again, what is going on here is a discussion between good, safe food handling practices based on science verses anecdotal "evidence" by those who have followed unsafe practices and the risk just didn't show up. Yet.

I too spent my entire school career carrying potentially hazardous foods for lunch without refrigeration. And no I never got sick.

But I wouldn't let my daughter do that when she was going to school, and I wouldn't let my grand daughters either.

I also smoked in my teens. Then I learned it was unsafe and I quit. Same thing witrh seat belts.

Making a practice of doing what is safe is a total waste of time almost always. But in those few times when it does pay off, it can save your life, or the life of someone close to you.

And food safety takes so little effort compared to the downside of being wrong even once.