"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-26-2007, 07:03 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Thank you all for your feedback! It's good to know there are other pet lovers out their that think of their pets as their kids. I have 2 step daughters & I love them, but my dogs are my babies.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:58 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Beneful..... Is sugar still the 7th ingredient? It used to be in their first formula. Why do you think it's so tasty? And gawd forbid you ever having to clean up vomit on light colored carpeting with all those dyes in that food. Nice commercials though.

I've mentioned this a few times in the different dog food threads, but in a holistic food you can't beat Canidae. It is hands down the most reasonably priced AND they do not import any of their ingredients (assuming you live in the USA). I'd reccomend the chicken and rice formula because Huskies need more fat than most dogs, but I know people that feed the All Life Stages to their Huskies and their dogs look great. Canidae doesn't swell when wet, no unidentified ingredients (such as saying animal fat instead of chicken fat), 86% digestible, no fillers; wheats, soy, corn..... It's a dang good food.
But I've seen dogs get by on crappy food, too. Still, like I said before here, some people think dull coats, scratching, dandruff, and lethary are normal in their pets.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie
Dancer, I am very happy with Natura Pet Products. They have several lines of food: California Natural, HealthWise and Innova. Please check out their website naturapet.com and see what you think.
Very nice AND thorough website. I will definitely read through this one as well as the Natural Balance & Canidae websites. Of course, all this research & making sure I get the best I can get for my babies won't do any good if they won't eat it, so I guess the final word will be on THEM!
Old 04-26-2007, 11:29 PM   #14
Senior Cook

My vet said that vets today see illnesses that vets 80 yrs. ago never saw and that is attributed, she said, to over-immunization and commercial pet foods. In fact, she advocates a RAW food diet for pets, like they ate in the wild.

I did it for about a year. It is somewhat tricky. I always wondered if I was doing it correctly. I would give my dog raw chicken necks, thighs, etc. and add essential fatty acids, calcium powder, veggies, etc. I had to feed Molly (black lab) out on the deck because she would get so excited with the chicken she would go to the family room and plop it on the rug and eat it there. Winter got tricky - she'd be on the deck in the snow eating her food. By the way, you don't have to worry about the raw chicken bones splintering, it's only the cooked ones that do that. Also, bacteria isn't a problem either. My vet, Dr. Becker, said that the dogs pass the food so quickly, it isn't a problem.

After a year I gave up and now feed her Innova. It doesn't have rice which is a filler since dogs don't need carbs. Molly likes it, but Molly is a chow hound and will eat nearly anything.

My vet said Science Diet, Iams, and all those "designer" dog foods sold at most animal hospitals are junk.

Instead of dog treats, Molly gets raw veggies or fruit. When I make a salad, she gets the core of the lettuce, the peels from the carrots, etc. She loves it! This way she is still getting some raw food into her diet. Also, a raw egg now and then and an apple on occasion. She is 9 yrs. old and still acts like a pup. The only sign she is getting older is her white muzzle.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:54 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lady
After a year I gave up and now feed her Innova. It doesn't have rice which is a filler since dogs don't need carbs. Molly likes it, but Molly is a chow hound and will eat nearly anything.

My vet said Science Diet, Iams, and all those "designer" dog foods sold at most animal hospitals are junk.

Instead of dog treats, Molly gets raw veggies or fruit. When I make a salad, she gets the core of the lettuce, the peels from the carrots, etc. She loves it! This way she is still getting some raw food into her diet. Also, a raw egg now and then and an apple on occasion. She is 9 yrs. old and still acts like a pup. The only sign she is getting older is her white muzzle.
I'm hearing more & more about Innova. I'm getting a whole list of brands to try now. Like I said in an earlier post, it'll be up to "the girls" to see what they like. I used to feed them Iams until the recalls. And now I've been hearing different things about the actual quality of their food. So . . . NEXT!

I give my dogs baby carrots for their treats. They come running when they hear me opening the bag.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:14 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Since someone mentioned Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul I thought I would mention that they are made by Diamond, the same co that had the problem last year (was it?) with the aflatoxin in their corn. Chicken Soup doesn't use corn and is rated high among foods, but from the looks of this Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul : Home it looks like they too import their ingredients.

Good post Green Lady. BARF is definitely the way to go if you don't try to make it into an exact science. And while dogs do enjoy raw veggies as treats, I'm sure you know they aren't getting any benefit from eating them raw. Not unless you pulp them for your poochies. Their digestive tracts are too short to break them down if fed in whole or cut form, but they do like eating them
Old 04-27-2007, 08:23 AM   #17
Head Chef

And yet another recall...

Daily Kos: Why didn't the FDA know about today's Costco pet food recall?

This is so sad.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:25 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Confusion?

This reminds me of when I had my first child. For the first year it was strictly breastmilk, like my mother said but the doctor rejected. Who did I listen to? The one w/experience and what has gone on since beginning of time. (My opinion)

This thread reminds me of all the books I read before I had the child. What I eventually did was follow my heart and take the information I was reading to be aware of abnormal indications I would see. Life is life! Making mistakes is normal and that is the way we learn from them. Dogs to me are so precious, just as a baby is. A baby grows up and shows feelings, a dog will always be the same unless they are getting sick or mistreated.

I have been feeding the dogs 12 and 10 Iams from the start. Plus vegetables and home made soup. Oh, forgot oatmeal. For the past few months they will not eat the Iams. Sometimes I think they can read the news! My diabetic dog is so sharp she will come and get me to give her the injection if it is past the time! When I told the vet this he seemed surprised and said he had heard similar stories like this. I love my 'babies' and that is exactly what they are. Since they won't eat the food, I have been giving them hamburger, what the vet said to give them when they had surgery or some sort of serious procedure in the office. Who knows if one can even trust the hamburger? Or anything else we want to eat?

Take one day at a time and make it through to the end of the day. As i believe, if we do our best God will do the rest. This is quote in my kitchen. Have to read this many, many times. I wish you all the best with the care and love you give your 'babies'. I do believe they are man's best friend.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:30 AM   #19
Head Chef

And here's a link to food not recalled. Actually, the recalled is in red.

Pet Food information, manufacturers, products, ingredients, cat, dog food.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:55 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Appreciate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie
And here's a link to food not recalled. Actually, the recalled is in red.

Pet Food information, manufacturers, products, ingredients, cat, dog food.

I certainly appreciate this link. Thank you. According to the link, I am safe. Just dogs getting picky, I guess. They may be getting TOO much attention.