ISO of Best Dog Food Brand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been feeding mine Purina One dry food (and have been for about a decade). Every once in awhile she gets a can as a treat, but she really likes it. Her vet quit carrying any pet food besides prescription types for sick animals. We live in farm country and I think people just quit buying expensive, premium brands after this last scare.

Angie said:
And here's a link to food not recalled. Actually, the recalled is in red.

Pet Food information, manufacturers, products, ingredients, cat, dog food.

Yes! VERY helpful link! I had quite a list of dog foods to check out & this narrowed it down . . . a bit. But I'm with In the Kitchen, it also depends on what they'll eat. My huskies & cocker spaniel will eat just about anything, but I do want to make sure they're getting the proper nutrition as well.

The article Sattie sent was extremely helpful. It gave a list of the first three ingredients of a bunch of different dog foods. And as with any list of ingredients, it lists by amount in product. I'm trying to stay with the ones that feature chicken, meat or fish as one of the first 3 & staying away from by products & grains (esp. corn gluten).

So thanks for all the info everyone! :)

Last edited:
Dancer in the kitchen said:
And as with any list of ingredients, it lists by amount in product. I'm trying to stay with the ones that feature chicken, meat or fish as one of the first 3 & staying away from by products & grains (esp. corn gluten).

So thanks for all the info everyone! :)

Can I break this down?

On your first statement; Iams and Eukanuba are good at trickery and a lot of their formulas will list chicken as the first ingredient, BUT you want it to say chicken "meal". When a dog food says meal it is talking about the processed chicken, (lamb, fish, etc.), that can actually be considered protein and also its basic form right before being added to the rest of the ingredients. When it simply lists "chicken", that is the wet weight of watever chicken parts they are using in its raw form, so by the time it is turned into a useable protein and added to the rest of the ingredients, it drops it down the list to about 4-5. Seeing "meal" behind an ingredient that you want is a good thing.

On your second statement; Staying away from corn is a good thing, as is wheat, and I know we talked about some of the holistic/natural foods that import their ingredients being made with contaminated rice protein, but any kibbled dog food needs some kind of grain in it as a binding agent. You can't get away from it, so don't beat yourself up trying to find a dog food that doesn't have any grains in it at all.

Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom