"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-10-2007, 09:16 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
I had a vegan friend that used to sprinkle dried yeast on his popcorn.
It actually was quite good.
Not sure which type/brand though. It was granulated/powdered.
I wouldn't be surprised if your vegan friend used what I still use on my popcorn, brewer's yeast, or nutritional yeast. Was it a dried yellow powder?

No GB, it does not taste like bread . It almost has a cheesy flavor. I eat popcorn about once a week and after I add the butter, I sprinkle on the brewers yeast or else it sinks to the bottom. It is quite good (or maybe it is an acquired taste?) The brewers' yeast, or a very similar product called nutritional yeast, is a power house of vitamins, esp the B vitamins. Come to think of it, maybe I started eating it when I was a vegetarian .

Old 06-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
If you pop your own, try popping it in regular oil with a few drops of Mongolian Fire Oil added in. It adds a nice heat. You get it in the Asian aisle of your supermarket.

Also, I love melted bacon grease added to freshly popped popcorn.

Lee
i've thought of using other kinds of oil before, especially chili oil. i've never tried it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
I had a vegan friend that used to sprinkle dried yeast on his popcorn.
It actually was quite good.
Not sure which type/brand though. It was granulated/powdered.
i've heard of that before but never tried it. it doesn't sound very good to me was it marmite? i worked at a grocery store & once in a while a customer would ask if we had any. i didn't even know what it was at the time but we kept it in the spice section. the 'yeast on popcorn' rings a bell...

Old 06-10-2007, 05:41 PM   #13
Head Chef

sometimes after air poppong, ill put the popcorn in a bag, spray with a little pam then add one of those dried cheese packets from my kids macaroni and cheese dinners ( like the kraft brand). Then shake it up, and its like cheese flavored popcorn. I do the same with parmesian cheese.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:52 PM   #14
Head Chef

I like nutritional yeast on my popcorn, and it does taste a bit like cheese. I don't think nutritional yeast is the same as brewers yeast.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #15
Executive Chef

brewers yeast and nutritional yeast are very similar products. Here is a link explaining the different yeasts, just scroll down the brewers and nutritional yeasts.
Cook's Thesaurus: Yeast
Old 06-11-2007, 07:44 AM   #16
Executive Chef

oh, this link covers all yeasts, for bread baking and beverage making, not just nutritional type yeasts.

Cook's Thesaurus: Yeast
Old 06-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #17
Master Chef

I love popcorn popped in bacon fat instead of vegetable oil (a think Mom did to save $$). I also like Lawrey's sprinkled on it sometimes.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:41 PM   #18
Head Chef

Bad Byron's Butt Rub gets my vote. It puts a little bit of a twist to the flavor
Old 06-15-2007, 04:18 PM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

My favorite is still just melted Butter and salt ! Yum
Old 08-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by baking fool
i've thought of using other kinds of oil before, especially chili oil. i've never tried it though.

i've heard of that before but never tried it. it doesn't sound very good to me was it marmite? i worked at a grocery store & once in a while a customer would ask if we had any. i didn't even know what it was at the time but we kept it in the spice section. the 'yeast on popcorn' rings a bell...
I was watching a movie with my girlfriend and her friend, who was on a fairly strict diet in order to lose some weight. They were eating popcorn with nutritional yeast sprinkled on it and I was like "you've GOT to be kidding!"

But actually, it was quite good. Not in a greasy "slathered in butter and salt" way, but more like it had been lightly sprinkled with parmesan, albiet a little nuttier and less salty. Try it (especially if you're watching your salt/fat) and, like me, you might be surprised.