ISO popcorn toppings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baking fool

Senior Cook
I saw an ad for some cooking show where a guy was making "movie food". On the popcorn he said he was going to put brown butter, rosemary & salt so I went & tried it right away (didn't bother to watch him do it) & it was pretty tasty. What else goes on popcorn?

Kettle corn is made with sugar, salt & butter.....it's yummy.

Other toppings, I like are parmesan cheese....& chili powder with lime.

When I worked at a movie theater Cinnamon and Sugar corn was a favorite amongst employees.

In college my roommate and I often added chocolate (crunch bars or butterfingers) to freshly microwaved corn..... But you know how freshman are.... havent done that in years.

any dried spice works ...
garlic salt
basil ..
taco seasoning ..
just depends on what you like ..
i enjoy mine straight up ..

If you pop your own, try popping it in regular oil with a few drops of Mongolian Fire Oil added in. It adds a nice heat. You get it in the Asian aisle of your supermarket.

Also, I love melted bacon grease added to freshly popped popcorn.

Lee

I use Lawry's seasoned salt in the oil before popping the corn. You get really good flavor and less salt.

I had a vegan friend that used to sprinkle dried yeast on his popcorn.
It actually was quite good.
Not sure which type/brand though. It was granulated/powdered.

That is an interesting one Nick. I have never heard of that. Did it make the popcorn taste like fresh baked bread?

You can use just about anything in you spice cabinet. I also sometimes like to put some tobasco sauce in mine.

Nicholas Mosher said:

I wouldn't be surprised if your vegan friend used what I still use on my popcorn, brewer's yeast, or nutritional yeast. Was it a dried yellow powder?

No GB, it does not taste like bread:ROFLMAO: . It almost has a cheesy flavor. I eat popcorn about once a week and after I add the butter, I sprinkle on the brewers yeast or else it sinks to the bottom. It is quite good (or maybe it is an acquired taste?) The brewers' yeast, or a very similar product called nutritional yeast, is a power house of vitamins, esp the B vitamins. Come to think of it, maybe I started eating it when I was a vegetarian;) .

QSis said:
If you pop your own, try popping it in regular oil with a few drops of Mongolian Fire Oil added in. It adds a nice heat. You get it in the Asian aisle of your supermarket.

Also, I love melted bacon grease added to freshly popped popcorn.

Lee

i've thought of using other kinds of oil before, especially chili oil. i've never tried it though.

Nicholas Mosher said:
i've heard of that before but never tried it. it doesn't sound very good to me :ermm: was it marmite? i worked at a grocery store & once in a while a customer would ask if we had any. i didn't even know what it was at the time but we kept it in the spice section. the 'yeast on popcorn' rings a bell...

sometimes after air poppong, ill put the popcorn in a bag, spray with a little pam then add one of those dried cheese packets from my kids macaroni and cheese dinners ( like the kraft brand). Then shake it up, and its like cheese flavored popcorn. I do the same with parmesian cheese.

I love popcorn popped in bacon fat instead of vegetable oil (a think Mom did to save $$). I also like Lawrey's sprinkled on it sometimes.

baking fool said:
i've thought of using other kinds of oil before, especially chili oil. i've never tried it though.

i've heard of that before but never tried it. it doesn't sound very good to me :ermm: was it marmite? i worked at a grocery store & once in a while a customer would ask if we had any. i didn't even know what it was at the time but we kept it in the spice section. the 'yeast on popcorn' rings a bell...

I was watching a movie with my girlfriend and her friend, who was on a fairly strict diet in order to lose some weight. They were eating popcorn with nutritional yeast sprinkled on it and I was like "you've GOT to be kidding!"

But actually, it was quite good. Not in a greasy "slathered in butter and salt" way, but more like it had been lightly sprinkled with parmesan, albiet a little nuttier and less salty. Try it (especially if you're watching your salt/fat) and, like me, you might be surprised.

Back
Top Bottom