ISO Pork N Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PanchoHambre

Washing Up
Sometimes the simplest things are hard to figure out.

I want to make pork n' beans:pig: to bring to a friends house to watch the EAGLES game tomorrow!

I want to use the marbeled fatty pork I trimmed from my tenderloin

I would love to use my crock pot or a DO and slow cook because I have alot to do before gametime. I would like to throw this together early and have it ready by late afternoon

I have on hand Onions, tomato products (paste, stewed, puree, fresh) Onion, Beans (Dried: red, white, soup mix & canned B&M Maple), Bacon, A handful of basic spices, Beer. canned Goya Chipolte, Honey, BBQ sauce, Brown Sugar, Mustard:jar dijon and powedered oriental, hot sauce)

I think some of these could find thier way in

I plan to to make cornbread and serve with hot dogs.

I tried to google recipes and got 3 pages of Weezer (I love Weezer but not helpful here) and alot of recipes that called for canned pork and beans which seems to defeat the purpose.

The agenda here is to not spend too much time or money but there is a groecey down the street if I need to grab something (a very basic grocery)

HELP!

Originally called Calico Beans, I adapted this recipe to be used with just one type of bean. It can also be adapted to use the beans you have on hand, probably the white beans I am thinking:

Recipe:
1/2lb bacon
1/2lb ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
2tsp. vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
3/4 cup brown sugar
1tsp. salt
1tsp. mustard
1 can each of red beans and white beans (this is where you would sub your dried beans, which would have to be soaked over night so I think you are running out of time here.)
Combine and simmer for 1/2 hour. Move to DO in oven and bake for 40min at 300 degrees.

I hope this is not too late!

thanks MAV!... Goya says I can boil and soak for 1 hr....

Can I use my fatty pork instead of beef... do I need to grind it or will the fat render out?

Bacon in raw or cooked? Whole? Diced?

Gonna hit the hey now but checking for ideas in the morning !

The recipe calls for you to cook the bacon and ground beef first, then add them in. The bacon is cooked until crisp then crumbled or chopped and added.
I am not sure about the fatty pork, but sounds like that would be a sub for the bacon more than the ground beef. The ground beef adds a nice texture and flavor to the dish, so maybe use your fatty pork and some ground beef? Just try browning up the fatty pork first like you would the bacon.
Hope that helps!

Maverick's recipe is similar to mine except I don't use ground beef. The bacon goes in raw and almost dissolves away in the cooking process. I'd dice the fatty pork and add it raw as well. The other thing I usually do is substitute molasses for part of the brown sugar (to taste). It's a one to one substitution. I always add my raw bacon last so I can taste the sauce first and correct the flavor. I bake mine the same length of time but at 350F because I like a little brown crust on mine.

well there in... I think they will be good. Subbed tomato sauce for the katsup... added some honey and salt to make up for it. Also added some diced tomato, celery, carrot, green pepper (tying to use up some stuff) Threw it all in the big LC. Going low and slow for now will probably up the heat at the end to crust up the top.

Decided to scrap the dogs and make BBQ turkey legs. Think it will make good footbal watching fare.

ok sorry to bump this again but THANKS this came out awesome.

Added some cayenne for heat....

Great flavor... excellent and would not have gotten there without the help.

In the future I will presoak the beans... took a while to get soft with the quick soak method...

Cornbread was a great pairing especially with the heat added by the cayenne.

and YEAH the E.A.G.L.E.S. won... bring it on NY!

Back
Top Bottom