"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
If you are intimidated by thickening the sauce with flour try using corn starch.
It's only dinner, if you mess it up you get another shot at it tomorrow!
I actually debated with myself about using corn starch, that is the method my mother has always done. I did cheat a bit last night, I used chicken broth to make my flour thickener mix.
It is only dinner, but I have this perfectionist problem I am dealing with Tomorrow I'll be making some gravy to go with the pair of pies we didn't eat. My bride has decided on dinner for tonight, she wants to make a frittata with the left over veggie mix I had for the pies. While the pies were baking she kept dipping into the veggie mix in the fridge, roasted potatoes and carrots mixed with sautéed onion, celery and mushrooms. I must admit the veggies mix had a bigger taste than the ingredients would suggest. She came home with a small almond butter cake from a local bakery - WOW! Found the next dessert to try making.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
Sous Chef

If your bride was happy, all's well with the world!!

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
Executive Chef

" my bride did like them "

That is the most important line you can write !

If you are challenged by the flour water slurry, try making a roux. It possibly offers a better tasting gravy/ sauce foundation. It's on my "how-to" list too.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbobson View Post
I actually debated with myself about using corn starch, that is the method my mother has always done. I did cheat a bit last night, I used chicken broth to make my flour thickener mix...
I'm not a fan of cornstarch for thickening gravy. Corn starch will lose its thickening power when reheated or when kept on the burner too long.

Using chicken broth to make a flour slurry isn't cheating, it's the smart thing to do. Chicken broth tastes better than water.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I use a bit of ground clove and cinnamon for anything pork. Works well, IMHO.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't use a bottom crust either. We always make our pot pies in ramekins (16 oz.) and freeze a few for later meals.

I like to sauté mushrooms for the filling. It's a nice add to the veggies.

You can use pie crusts or puff pastry for a crust. Actually, you could make no crusts at all and pour the filling over toast and call it chicken ala king.
Or you could make "pig man's pie" (ie the nearest I could get to a pork "shepherd's pie" ) and use mashed potato instead of pastry. Mash the cooked potatoes with plenty of butter and milk (or cream if you have a bit lurking in the back of the 'fridge). You could add a bit of grated cheese if you like, too. Put the filling in the dishes, cover the filling with the mash and flash in the oven to heat the pies through and brown the top of the potato.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm not a fan of cornstarch for thickening gravy. Corn starch will lose its thickening power when reheated or when kept on the burner too long.

Using chicken broth to make a flour slurry isn't cheating, it's the smart thing to do. Chicken broth tastes better than water.
I'm with Andy on this. I always use plain flour for thickening sauces and gravy as I think corn starch makes it slightly slimy in texture. As for making the "slurry" why not use chicken broth - Andy's right about flavour.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #18
Master Chef

I like making pot pies, and I really cheat by using refrigerated pie crusts that come folded up in a box. I can get two crusts out of one sheet by using a saucer as a guide for the top crusts. I brush them with an egg wash, cut a couple of slits in them and bake on top of the already hot filling. They come out beautifully every time. I never use a bottom crust as we like more filling than crust.

To avoid going overboard on the filling I put everything in the ramekins as I'm cutting everything up, so I know for sure I don't have too much for two pies. I also only use flour for the gravy for all the reasons mentioned.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pie, pork