ISO - Pork Pot Pies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbobson

Cook
Watching Guy's Grocery Games gave me the idea of a pot pie for Mondays dinner. My wife likes the cheap pot pies and has mentioned making our own pot pies a number of times. She won't be able to participate in this, but I would like to have them done when she gets home from work Monday night.

What I have to start:
-left over pork roast
-can make pie crust in the morning
-carrots, celery and mushrooms on hand; store is easy 10 minute walk
-chicken broth/stock
-4 ramekins, 4 inch I think

Help needed:
-will the ramekins work?
-pre-bake (par-bake?) the crust?
-chicken broth work for the gravy/sauce? How?
-other vegetables (she does require peas)?
-herb or spice suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes the ramekins should work BB. I would cut my pork into smallish pieces and mix with a few spoonfuls of your gravy to just about cover the meat + a bit extra for luck. Cover with apiece of foil so as not to dry out your mixture and heat through very well on about 180c. While that is doing, cut discs of your pastry slightly bigger than the tops of your ramekins, place on a baking tray, brush with a little egg yolk or milk and when your meat is hot through, set aside to keep warm, whip your oven up to 200c and on a higher shelf, cook your tops for about 10mins or until a nice golden brown. When done, just place on top of your meat and you are ready to go.
As for veg, well suit yourself really. I would serve a medley in a seperate dish/ bowl to serve oneself at will. Hope this helps

Yes, your ramekins will work fine. I personally do not use a bottom crust as I don't want to risk a soggy bottom and a few calories saved can be less guiltily applied elsewhere. Pot pie recipes do not indicate par baking, I guess it’s just my personal pref.

To make gravy, To 2 Tbs flour mix well with 2 Tbs water in a measuring cup. Heat 1 ½ cups chix broth until it just begins to boil. Slowly stir in the slurry. Stir continuously until the gravy boils, widening your stirring motions until the flour has been incorporated fully in the broth. Stir 2 minutes. It will thicken as it cooks. If this isn’t thick enough, repeat the flour / water slurry. I usually make extra to start and add a Little more if needed. Likewise, keep the chix broth handy if it gets too thick. Taste. There should be a gravy not a flour taste to it. Adjust seasoning, adding salt pepper. You can add a little ( ¼ tsp or so of dry thyme or sage or both. ( good with pork) or a healthy pinch of garlic powder. Now add diced pork and Cooked vegetables and heat through. You just made a pork stew.

While unnecessary, I like potatoes in addition to the veggies you list. I also like something green in there for color, either peas or cut up green beans. Any you like are good.

Fill bottom of pie shell or ramekin with mix. Place top pie crust on. Crimp edges of both pie crusts together, and trim off any extra pie crust if it’s too much. Cut slits in the top of pie shell for steam to escape. On the next lower oven shelf, put a baking pan lined with foil, or just a layer of foil to catch any drips if the pies cook over ! Bake 400 degrees F 10-15 minutes until brown. As I say, I don’t know how long to cook if using a double crust. The standard pie usually says lower temp from 400 down to 375 to finish baking a pie. Conversely, I have read to bake the whole thing at 425 the entire time for around a half hour.. If you are using ramekins, the baking time will probably be less. If you have a see through oven door, good, otherwise peek after 10 min’s but don’t let too much heat out.

I hope these turn out great and you and your wife enjoy your dinner.

Last edited:
I don't use a bottom crust either. We always make our pot pies in ramekins (16 oz.) and freeze a few for later meals.

I like to sauté mushrooms for the filling. It's a nice add to the veggies.

You can use pie crusts or puff pastry for a crust. Actually, you could make no crusts at all and pour the filling over toast and call it chicken ala king.

I would use menumaker's idea!

We have a local Irish restaurant that makes up the filling similar to a stew and then tops the pot pie with a disc of pie crust that was baked separately. This allows them to assemble them as needed and prevents a soggy crust.

Last edited:
Well, dinner is done. Wife got home earlyish from work, which worked good for the timing. Forgot the peas so we followed the steam in bag and served on the side, won't be doing that again. Did get potatoes, which I roasted with carrots before putting in the sauce. My crust tasted good but I should have added a little more water when making it since it was a little to dry to roll out. I did do a lower crust which I par-baked, the completed pies slid right out of the ramekin whole - yippee. Didn't make 'flour water' which was one of my biggest concerns, but I cooked the sauce/gravy down a bit much so the pies were dry. I had wanted to add a little lemon to brighten the flavor but I forgot that as well. Needed more salt, salt is either too much or not enough with me, one day I will get the salt right.
Thanks all, we made a fairly good first pot-pie. Next time they will be even better!!! Oh, my bride did like them:yum:

If you are intimidated by thickening the sauce with flour try using corn starch.

Mix the corn starch in a small dish with enough water to make a slurry and add it to the bubbling stew a little at a time. One tablespoon of corn starch thickens about a cup of liquid. The thickening takes place instantly so you can just add a little give it a stir add a little more etc...

After a success or two with that you will have confidence to branch out and try some of the other methods of thickening a sauce.

It's only dinner, if you mess it up you get another shot at it tomorrow! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

If you are intimidated by thickening the sauce with flour try using corn starch.
It's only dinner, if you mess it up you get another shot at it tomorrow! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
I actually debated with myself about using corn starch, that is the method my mother has always done. I did cheat a bit last night, I used chicken broth to make my flour thickener mix.
It is only dinner, but I have this perfectionist problem I am dealing with:yum: Tomorrow I'll be making some gravy to go with the pair of pies we didn't eat. My bride has decided on dinner for tonight, she wants to make a frittata with the left over veggie mix I had for the pies. While the pies were baking she kept dipping into the veggie mix in the fridge, roasted potatoes and carrots mixed with sautéed onion, celery and mushrooms. I must admit the veggies mix had a bigger taste than the ingredients would suggest. She came home with a small almond butter cake from a local bakery - WOW! Found the next dessert to try making.

" my bride did like them:yum: "

That is the most important line you can write !

If you are challenged by the flour water slurry, try making a roux. It possibly offers a better tasting gravy/ sauce foundation. It's on my "how-to" list too.

I actually debated with myself about using corn starch, that is the method my mother has always done. I did cheat a bit last night, I used chicken broth to make my flour thickener mix...

I'm not a fan of cornstarch for thickening gravy. Corn starch will lose its thickening power when reheated or when kept on the burner too long.

Using chicken broth to make a flour slurry isn't cheating, it's the smart thing to do. Chicken broth tastes better than water.

I don't use a bottom crust either. We always make our pot pies in ramekins (16 oz.) and freeze a few for later meals.

I like to sauté mushrooms for the filling. It's a nice add to the veggies.

You can use pie crusts or puff pastry for a crust. Actually, you could make no crusts at all and pour the filling over toast and call it chicken ala king.
Or you could make "pig man's pie" (ie the nearest I could get to a pork "shepherd's pie" :)) and use mashed potato instead of pastry. Mash the cooked potatoes with plenty of butter and milk (or cream if you have a bit lurking in the back of the 'fridge). You could add a bit of grated cheese if you like, too. Put the filling in the dishes, cover the filling with the mash and flash in the oven to heat the pies through and brown the top of the potato.

I'm not a fan of cornstarch for thickening gravy. Corn starch will lose its thickening power when reheated or when kept on the burner too long.

Using chicken broth to make a flour slurry isn't cheating, it's the smart thing to do. Chicken broth tastes better than water.
I'm with Andy on this. I always use plain flour for thickening sauces and gravy as I think corn starch makes it slightly slimy in texture. As for making the "slurry" why not use chicken broth - Andy's right about flavour.

I like making pot pies, and I really cheat by using refrigerated pie crusts that come folded up in a box. I can get two crusts out of one sheet by using a saucer as a guide for the top crusts. I brush them with an egg wash, cut a couple of slits in them and bake on top of the already hot filling. They come out beautifully every time. I never use a bottom crust as we like more filling than crust.

To avoid going overboard on the filling I put everything in the ramekins as I'm cutting everything up, so I know for sure I don't have too much for two pies. I also only use flour for the gravy for all the reasons mentioned.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom