ISO Pork Sausage Alternatives/Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
OK... MODS: If I have started this in the wrong place, please feel free to move! But I was not sure what meat topic to put it under since it could deviate a bit.

DH does not seem to tolerate pork very well anymore. Not sure why, but he ends up with severe digestive problems. Which is a pity, because one of our favorite dishes is sausage gravy over biscuits.

I usually use hot spicy sausage and make a creamy gravy. What are some alternatives I can use that will give me the same zest of spicy sausage but yet not be a pork product? Would ground turkey work, or beef? And if so, what could be added to the meat to get a similar enough flavor where we will not notice the difference too much?

All replies appreciated as always!!!

I make my own "sausage" with beef and chevon on a regular basis. I have a sausage blend of herbs and spices that I developed over the years. I made some beef sausage a few days ago in sausage gravy. Just brown the meat, stir in sausage spices,maybe add a bit of fat; I use bacon grease, butter or olive oil, and you are good to go. Google sausage spices blends for one you think you would like.

Sattie - there's now an absolute ABUNDANCE of completely delicious chicken & turkey sausage products out there!!! My husband has had a lifelong allergy/digestive problem with pork products, so poultry is the way we've gone for many years now.

In fact, just this morning I had some wonderful scrambled eggs with a diced spicy Chicken Cilantro sausage mixed into it. Really hot & really delicious.

My freezer is always chock full of poultry sausages - Andouille, Chorizo, Italian Hot, Italian Sweet, Breakfast links, Breakfast bulk, Teriyaki Ginger, Garlic Artichoke - I can't list them all, there are far too many available these days.

If you have any kind of decent supermarket near you, they should carry Shady Brook Farms bulk turkey sausage. Comes in both links, as well as a 1-pound "tube". Is absolutely PERFECT in sausage gravy.

It's easy to buy pre-mixed breakfast sausage spices or you can mix your own (lots of recipes available). That way, you can add it to any meat or dish.

Do you think his digestive problems could be from the fat in the sausage? You could try the lighter versions out there. I use the LITE Hillshire Farms sausage for my family. They also like the beef breakfast links wrapped in pancakes.

Dina, he has the reaction to any pork we have, no matter what it is. Pork chops, pork loin, (funny, I don't think bacon gives him any foul disfunction), but everything else does. It kinda stinks if you ask me because I love a variety of proteins and his lack of being able to cope with pork has just taken out another dinner option. Several dinner options.

Thanks for the ideas and tips... next time I am out at the gstore, I will look for the items mentioned above. Is it usually where you find the regular sausage? I usually like the 1lb tubes, I don't ever buy sausage links or patties. Also, mixing the spices with hamburger sounds like an awesome idea as well!

Do you think his digestive problems could be from the fat in the sausage? You could try the lighter versions out there. I use the LITE Hillshire Farms sausage for my family. They also like the beef breakfast links wrapped in pancakes.
I'm kinda with Dina on this. It could be gall bladder problems with the fat. Bacon can be cooked crisp without as much fat left.
Start with ground turkey, and no spices, try it, if he has no problems, then add sausage spices one at a time until he has a problem, if he ever does. If you make it through all the spices used in sausage without a problem using turkey, then you know it's not spices and depending on the fat content of the ground turkey, you can eliminate the fat as a problem. You can grind your own lean chicken or turkey and at least know what is in them. Thinking of you, hope you figure something out. ~Bliss

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom