ISO Potato Pancake recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
i love to make tater pancakes of all sorts and wanted to see if any of you guys wanted to share your favorite recipes for them. i'd really appreciate it. thanks!:-p

Hey luvs, my recipe is really just out of my head. I grate the potatoes with my food processor, (usually 2 per person) then I salt and pepper to taste, toss in an egg for every 4 potatoes used, and put in enough flour to hold things together. I mix all this with my hands, and when it starts to hold together I roll it into balls and pat them flat and fry them in oil. Sometimes, I use a bit less flour and spoon the mixture into the hot oil. Hope that helps you.

Another good way to make them is with some chunky garlic mashed potatoes with a bit of chives in them.

Form them into thickish (1") patties and fry in some butter on medium until browned then turn over.

Last edited:
luvs,

sometimes when I have left over garlic mashed potatoes, and left over roast beef or pork, I dice up an onion and several cloves of garlic and the meat, then saute them in some butter and a little evoo, I take a hand full of the potatoes, make a well in the center, put in a small amount of the meat onion mix and enclose it. I then make a pattie, roll it in flour, dip it in egg, then dip into fine bread crumbs and fry them in some evoo and butter til light brown..I been thinking of adding some cheese in there, but, haven't had a chance to try it. Just another idea for you :LOL:
kadesma

My grandmother made them almost like Alix except she added some onion and would never use a blender (didn't have a home food processor back then) because she thought that they didn't taste the same.

I agree with your Gramma purrfectlydivine! My mom used to use a meat grinder to grind up the potatoes for pancakes and when she switched to using her blender we were all unimpressed with the result. I think the larger chunks of potato (not that grated potato is so large) definitely mean better flavour.

We always grated the potatoes and onions then add egg and a little flour. They were called Platski and were served with sour creme, jelly, or just butter. In the fall all the churches serve these at their Bazaars along with homemade pierogie. They are wonderful. There was always a contest for the best "shaun" which is homemade horseradish in red or white.

Here's a recipe for a different kind of potato pancake. It looks like a breakfast pancake, but is oh so creamy and smooth inside. I saw it on Great Chefs one morning, and had to try it, It is soo worth it, and could be paired with anything, or fried into silver dollar sizes, and used instead of a cracker or blini for lots of yummy toppings for appetizers or fancy hor d'oeuvres (caviar, smoked salmon etc).

Potato Pancakes
1 pound potatoes
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 eggs, separated
2 tablespoons heavy (whipping) cream

To the above potato pancake recipe, I add some salt and white pepper to the potato mix. You can also add chives or other herbs and seasonings that you favor.

To prepare the pancake batter: Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until soft. Peel and put in a large bowl. Break up and mash with a wooden spoon. Mash in the flour. Mash in the egg yolks in two additions. Switch to a whisk and beat in the egg whites, again in two additions. Add the cream and whisk until the mixture is the consistency of pastry cream. Set aside.

Heat clarified butter or vegetable oil in a large sauté pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Drop the pancake batter by large spoonfuls into the hot butter; the pancakes should measure about 4 inches in diameter. Make a total of at least 4 pancakes; cook in batches if necessary. Cook until the edges of the pancakes show a little brown color, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add more butter as necessary so the pancake bottoms are immersed in butter. Turn each, and cook another 2 to 3 minutes, until done through.

Take off the heat. If you have extra pancakes, set aside to cool; then separate with waxed paper or parchment circles, wrap, and freeze for another use.

Last edited:
Hi Lisa - I think you just need to scroll down some - it does say that at the very top of the page. I'll let you see if it works - if it still doesn't I'll make the change to your recipe.

Click on edit and scroll down.

Thanks, kitchenelf! It turns out my page was taking awhile to load the rest of the scroll bar, so all I saw (in my typical impatience) was the delete option and a short scroll bar. 20 seconds more, and I would have seen the rest of the page load! I added my edit to the original message, and deleted the unnecesary one. Thanks again!! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom