"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-04-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
Master Chef

ISO Potato Pancake recipes?

i love to make tater pancakes of all sorts and wanted to see if any of you guys wanted to share your favorite recipes for them. i'd really appreciate it. thanks!

Old 09-04-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
Everymom

Hey luvs, my recipe is really just out of my head. I grate the potatoes with my food processor, (usually 2 per person) then I salt and pepper to taste, toss in an egg for every 4 potatoes used, and put in enough flour to hold things together. I mix all this with my hands, and when it starts to hold together I roll it into balls and pat them flat and fry them in oil. Sometimes, I use a bit less flour and spoon the mixture into the hot oil. Hope that helps you.

Old 09-04-2005, 01:59 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Another good way to make them is with some chunky garlic mashed potatoes with a bit of chives in them.

Form them into thickish (1") patties and fry in some butter on medium until browned then turn over.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
Head Chef

We add lots of onions!
Old 09-04-2005, 05:04 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

luvs,

sometimes when I have left over garlic mashed potatoes, and left over roast beef or pork, I dice up an onion and several cloves of garlic and the meat, then saute them in some butter and a little evoo, I take a hand full of the potatoes, make a well in the center, put in a small amount of the meat onion mix and enclose it. I then make a pattie, roll it in flour, dip it in egg, then dip into fine bread crumbs and fry them in some evoo and butter til light brown..I been thinking of adding some cheese in there, but, haven't had a chance to try it. Just another idea for you
kadesma
Old 09-05-2005, 12:54 PM   #6
Master Chef

thanks, guys!
Old 09-06-2005, 08:47 PM   #7
Cook

Send a message via AIM to beaulana2
I add corn to my recipe
Old 09-06-2005, 11:18 PM   #8
Sous Chef

My grandmother made them almost like Alix except she added some onion and would never use a blender (didn't have a home food processor back then) because she thought that they didn't taste the same.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:27 PM   #9
Everymom

I agree with your Gramma purrfectlydivine! My mom used to use a meat grinder to grind up the potatoes for pancakes and when she switched to using her blender we were all unimpressed with the result. I think the larger chunks of potato (not that grated potato is so large) definitely mean better flavour.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:26 PM   #10
Senior Cook

We always grated the potatoes and onions then add egg and a little flour. They were called Platski and were served with sour creme, jelly, or just butter. In the fall all the churches serve these at their Bazaars along with homemade pierogie. They are wonderful. There was always a contest for the best "shaun" which is homemade horseradish in red or white.