"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #11
Head Chef

This is a good base. Has good reviews and I have followed it before. Than you can add stuff to it if you want. It's very good

Simple Potato Salad - Allrecipes

Old 06-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
When I made potato salad last night I realized I didn't have any pickle relish or yellow mustard so I just used white vinegar - after it sat for about an hour the vinegar settled down and it was pretty good. I used:

red potatoes, big chunks, skin still on

mayo
grated hardboiled eggs
white onion
green pepper
white vinegar
dried dill
salt
white pepper
black pepper

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:07 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
When I made potato salad last night I realized I didn't have any pickle relish or yellow mustard so I just used white vinegar - after it sat for about an hour the vinegar settled down and it was pretty good. I used:

red potatoes, big chunks, skin still on

mayo
grated hardboiled eggs
white onion
green pepper
white vinegar
dried dill
salt
white pepper
black pepper
Elf,
I use almost everything you do except the green peppers. DH's aunt use to make potatoe salad he use to adore..Her secret was to, while the potatoes were still warm to dress with evoo and vinegar, let sit about 30-40 min then continue on..She made the best salad, it was always gone in a flash..

kadesma
Old 06-25-2007, 03:20 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, I always dress my potato salad while it is warm - much more flavorful and I like the way it takes the edge off the onion and green pepper.

Oh, I might try a little evoo next time too - I don't like to use a huge amount of mayo so maybe the evoo will help spread things out a bit.

deeppitbbq - you couldn't have picked a finer dish to discuss!!!

Old 06-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Potato salad is a truly marvelous dish as you cannot screw it up.

My eldest tasted the Ranch Potato salad posted above and loved it. she asked for the recipe and wanted to make it right away. Then the calls started. Can I sub celery for the cuke? Can I leave out the celery seed, Can I add more this or less that?

I told her there are few rules for potato salad and just about anything goes, do what you like, make it your own. She did and loves it.

You could collect potato salad recipes for years and find no two alike. Everyone has their own twists. So experiment. Play with combinations, add weird stuff. Have fun with it. That's what I did to come up with the ranch potato salad. I've changed it twice since then and will probably change it again.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:22 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I LOVE lime and thyme in potato salad too. I made a cilantro/lime/purple potato salad for Father's Day That just wasn't a good color and I put a tad too much cilantro in it. I tried to do a German potato salad without the bacon but with the cilantro and lime - so, unfortunately, I DID mess up potato salad

Old 06-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Yes, I always dress my potato salad while it is warm - much more flavorful and I like the way it takes the edge off the onion and green pepper.

Oh, I might try a little evoo next time too - I don't like to use a huge amount of mayo so maybe the evoo will help spread things out a bit.

deeppitbbq - you couldn't have picked a finer dish to discuss!!!
Elf,
I don't have to use as much mayo when I use some evoo. Plus I like the taste so much I sometimes just dress potatoes, egg,onion,parsley,and some crumbled bacon and chopped dill pickles with evoo and vinegar, forget the mayo salt and pepper are a must tho!
kadesma
Old 06-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #18
Master Chef

my Mom's is DELICIOUS!!!!! several compliments.
she boils her potatoes unpeeled, peels & cubes them, then blends mayonnaise, mustard, evaporated milk, salt/pepper, also blends extra if we so choose extra....., boiled egg slices & paprika garnish, then we dine!!!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 10:05 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob

My secret ingredient is the potatos...
I knew there was something I forgot.

When it comes to PS, I never know what I'm going to end up with. Except, I don't care for eggs or pickle relish; and am not a big fan of mustard or celery. Comfort PS, for me is, chunks of boiled potatoes (preferrably red), mixed w mayo, s&p and peas served warm sprinkled with paprika.

I add just about anything to red - buttermilk, mayo, dill, sour cream/mayo combo, sun-dried tomato or basil pesto, or roasted sweet red peppers, green beans or asparagus, chopped onions or green onions/scallions or shallots, sliced black olives, shredded carrots, chopped marinated artichoke hearts. Sometimes it's more like a salad w/o the lettuce.

This PS is a little different (made with Perogies). I like the potato and cheddar or the potato and onion.

Welcome to Stauffers of Kissel Hill's Website
Old 06-25-2007, 10:36 PM   #20
Executive Chef

My potato salad consists of equal parts of onion,celery and dill relish I mix it together with mayo and some apple cider vinegar,salt & pepper and a bit of pickled japapeno juice is good also with vinegar)salt and pepper and let that mix set in fridge a day if I have time .Then I toss cold diced potatoes in a bit of Olive Oil and salt and then add my mix.Have always got great compliments.
If I add boiled eggs I just put slices around the edge of salad and mayby some sliced olives and of course some paprika and parsley for color.