ISO Potato Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mmm, potate salad is one thing that is very hard to mess up.

Mayonaise is a necessary component. Other than that, anything goes. Dill, basil, sage, chives, oregano, thyme, rosemary... All are wonderful. Green onions are nice, if very finesly minced. You could even get daring and do a minty, fruity potato salad. Mix a bit of your favorite fruit preserves into the mayo, along with some mustard for a little punch. Really tasty!

Ingredients:
Potatoes
Roast beef slices (200g) - this can found in any supermarket deli
Gherkins
Canned peas (these can be mint flavoured if you like - works just fine)
Mayonnaise
Salt

This is by far my favorite potato salad. Dice everything up and mix together with the mayo. Add salt to taste. Let it sit inside a fridge for a day before eating.

Last edited by a moderator:
My potato salad had potatoes, hard boiled eggs, celery and onion, celery seed and a special sauce that my grandma used to make. She called it manas (pronounced like mayonnaise). We use it for scalloped spinach too.

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 heaping Tbs flour
2-3 Tbs butter
prepared mustard
1/2 cup vinegar
1 cup milk

In a sauce pan whisk the eggs, sugar and salt together, place on stove on medium heat, add butter (I usually chop up the butter a bit to help it melt quicker) and flour continuing to whisk. Squirt some mustard (this is never measured just put a little in, you can add more later if you want) While whisking add the vinegar and stir well then add the milk. Raise the heat and bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat and continue cooking until thick stirring constantly.

Pour this over your potatoes and mix well, add some regular mayonnaise and serve warm or cold. I always liked it warm but it is just as good cold. Now I want to make some but I'm out of potatoes!

As Uncle Bob said, the secret is the potatoes. I use russian blues, red, and yukon gold potatoes. I grow those in my garden and pull them when they would be sold as "new potatoes." I boil them with the skins on (but I'm thinking I'll start roasting them <g>. The skins are thin when the potatoes are this size). I dice them and my dressing is basically an oil and vinegar dressing with parsley, chives, dill, salt and pepper (the herbs are fresh). Yes, there are radishes, green onions, hard boiled egg slices, green pepper, and cucumber in the salad. Sometimes zucchini, sometimes baby beets, sometimes green beans or peas...

I don't have a recipe for this--it is to taste and what goes in (besides the potatoes) depends on what is ready for picking in the garden.

I have added homemade curry powder to the vinagrette, I've also added Italian seasonings. It depends on what's available besides the spuds and where I am going with the salad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom