ISO, ramekin ideas, please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicacarr

Senior Cook
I bought these little round ramakins (spelled incorrectly?), because i thought it would be fun to serve desserts and appetisers in them. However, I have never used them, because I have not a clue as to what recipes i can use for them. :blush:
May I have your ideas, please?
Thank you! :)

PA Baker posted this once and it is now my very very favorite!

Coffee Crème Brulee

4 egg yolks
1 c sugar, divided
1 ½ c heavy cream
1 Tbsp instant coffee
½ tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 300F.

In a medium sized bowl, beat egg yolks and 6 Tbsp sugar with a whisk for about 1 minute or until smooth. Reserve.

In a second medium sized bowl, add coffee and ¼ c cream. Whisk thoroughly until smooth, then add remaining cream and whisk until well blended. Add coffee cream mixture and vanilla to egg yolks. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold together.

Use a ladle to pour mixture into individual ramekins, ¾ of the way to the top.

Place ramekins into a roasting pan. Transfer to oven. Before closing oven door, pour water into pan, but not into the ramekins, until it reaches ½ way up the side of the ramekins.

Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the brulee giggles slightly when you shake the pan. Remove pan from oven and leave out on the counter, allowing the residual heat of the water to finish the cooking process.

When brulees have fully solidified and cooled down, sprinkle 1 ½ Tbsp sugar evenly over the top of each ramekin. Use a small blowtorch to caramelize the sugar, or place ramekins 1” below oven broiler until sugar caramelizes.

Ramekins can also be chilled after they have cooled down if not making immediately.

When I bought mine I imagined using them for soufflés and Crème Brulee but, alas, they're only used for pudding or, more often, to hold prepped or measured ingredients 'til needed.

Last edited:
I use them for some desserts, but here's another idea:

* After you mash your potatoes, whip them with the mixer, then put into a pastry bag with a nice piping tip. Swirl the potatoes into each ramekin and bake at 400 till the tops are golden.

Mostly, I use them for souffles, individual desserts (fruit salad, pudding, etc.). Depending on how large they are, you can make mini-pot pies (chicken/beef), mini upside down pizzas (put sauce, cheese, toppings of choice in the dishes & top with pie crust circles, add pie filling and puff pastry circles (hearts or stars) over the top, or make rice timbales.

Here is an easy one for Spinach and Parmesan Timbales (just as an example):

http://www.leitesculinaria.com/recipes/cookbook/spinach_timbales.html

Last edited:
Soufflees are really much easier than people give them credit for. We have souflee a lot because I can make relatively healthy ones and they are quick! Savory souflees to have mid week with a big salad include: cheese, shredded courgette and salmon with leek. Fish souffles work really well, imo, a tin of tuna with spring onion perhaps?

Any form of mousse....chocolate or fruit or perhaps salmon? I have also used them for small portions of smooth pate and brondade (spelling?)

Ramekins/any individual portion device...is particularly usful when dealing with expensive ingrediants, as you are exercising portion (ie cost!) control. But similarly, incorperating things that you can eat regularly with ut feeling that you are being over extravagant witll mean you get the pleasure of using them more.

Back
Top Bottom