ISO rasp freezer jam recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
Raspberries are everywhere in the NW and they are so delicious. I'm looking for a raspberry freezer jam recipe, something with not too much sugar (I'd rather taste the berries than the sugar). Also, do you know how long can I store the jam in the freezer? I'm thinking about making a bunch of it so we can have it through out the year. Thanks to all!

[font=arial,helvetica]Making Freezer Jam[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica]Raspberries, strawberries and blackberries work well in uncooked freezer jam recipes. You must store uncooked jams in the refrigerator or freezer. You can hold them for several weeks in a refrigerator and up to a year in the freezer. If you keep them at room temperature they will mold or ferment in a short time. Once you open the container, keep refrigerated and use the jam within a few days.

Sort and wash fully ripe fruit. Drain. Remove caps and stems from berries and crush. If you have fruit frozen, the preliminary steps for preparation have already been done. The label you put on the container of fruit should state how much fruit and sugar you added to the fresh fruit before freezing. Subtract the sugar added from that called for in the freezer jam recipe.

The basic recipe for uncooked jam is three cups crushed berries, about one and 1/2 quarts of berries, five cups sugar, one package powdered pectin and one cup cold water.

To Make the Jam: Measure three cups of prepared fruit into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar, mix well, and let stand for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Dissolve powdered pectin in one cup cold water in a saucepan and bring to a boil and boil for one minute. Add pectin solution to the fruit and sugar mixture. Stir vigorously for two minutes.

Pour the jam into clean freezer containers or canning jars, leaving one-half inch headspace. Cover the containers and let stand for 24 hours, or until the jam has set and become firm. This quantity makes about seven half-pint jars or freezer containers.

When jam comes out of the freezer, thaw overnight in the refrigerator. If the jam is too firm, you can soften it by stirring. If it tends to separate, stirring will blend it again. If freezer jam is too soft bring the jam to a boil in a saucepan on top of the range for one minute and it will thicken as it cools.

[/font]

Wash, stem and crush strawberries. Slice and grind fruit through food processor. Measure 3 1/4 level cups crushed strawberries and 1/4 cup lemon juice in a 4 quart kettle and stir well. Sift in slowly 1 package fruit pectin, stirring vigorously. Set aside 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1 cup light corn syrup. Mix well. Measure 4 1/2 level cups sugar into dry bowl. Gradually stir this into the crushed fruit. Warm to 100 degrees, no hotter, to hasten sugar dissolving. Store in jelly glasses or suitable freezer containers with tight lids. Store in freezer, unless jam will be used in 2 to 3 weeks, then store in refrigerator. Makes 7 cups.

Corazon, here's a recipe I posted for strawberry jam awhile back. I've used it for other fruits, too, so I'm sure raspberries would work fine. You'll taste the fruit above all else in it. I've also frozen it in canning/freezer jars for several months--I like to stock up for the year, too!

This is my favorite jam recipe--it yields a very pure, fruity, taste. It's so easy, and even though it's cooked, you don't need to worry about the whole canning process.

Fresh Strawberry Jam

4 c halved strawberries
1 c sugar
2 tsp fresh lemon juice

Combine strawberries and sugar in saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 1 hour or until thick, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and stir in lemon juice. Cool to room temperature.

Makes 2 cups.
Store in a plastic or glass container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. I've also frozen for several months.

Here's what I used this last weekend to make my Granny's freezer jam:

26c raspberries (basically 1 flat)
11 c sugar
4 c corn syrup
1 c lemon juice
8 packs pectin

Mix thoroughly and warm a little, just enough for the sugar to melt and let sit for at lease 1.5 hours to set. Make sure jam is completely cool before putting into containers. Made this for FIL and he said it wasn't too sweet. You can always adjust the sugar and lemon juice to your tastes.

fyi- I didn't have the complete instructions when I made this and brought my jam to a boil. Didn't ruin the jam though, still set up really nice.

While raspberries can obviously be made into freezer jam, I would choose not to in favour of a traditional cooked jam. These little pearls just seem to expand their flavour profile when cooked where as the strawberry unless a home grown FULLY ripe variety like "Tristar" or any day neutral cultivar seem to muddy when cooked.

Back
Top Bottom