ISO recipe for basil dressing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolgirl

Senior Cook
For the first time ever I have fresh basil. I would like just a basic recipe for making dressing for salads. Also, any suggestions of using it for anything else. This is all new to me and I am anxious to use it. Thanks

Here's one that looks good...
CREAMY BASIL DRESSING Recipe

I adore fresh basil. There are so many ways you can use it. A Caprese salad comes to mind. Get the best, ripest tomatoes you can find and some fresh mozzarella cheese. Slice tomatoes and cheese and layer alternately on a plate. Julienne the basil and sprinkle it over. Drizzle with some olive oil (the best you can find) and salt and pepper.

Here's a summer salad recipe that has fresh basil in it. It's my own invention and my family loves it.

SPAGHETTI SALAD

Feeds 4 (more or less)

1 1/2 cups each:
Fresh or Frozen broccoli cuts
Fresh or Frozen green beans
Fresh or Frozen peas
2 medium ripe tomatoes
4 or 5 green onions, white and green parts
15 or so leaves fresh basil

1 package Good Seasons dressing mix
red wine vinegar
olive oil

1 lb. angel hair or thin spaghetti

Fill large pot with 4 qts. water, add 1 TB. salt and bring to a boil. Break spaghetti
into thirds and add to water. Cook according to directions. Test before draining.
When done to your liking, drain immediately and rinse with cold water to cool it down to
just warmish.

Fill second sauce pot with an inch of water. Bring to a boil. Add frozen vegetables.
Bring back to boil and cook 5 minutes or so until a fork easily pierces one
of the larger broccoli cut. Remove from stove, drain and run cold water
over for 30 seconds or so to stop the cooking. Drain well and put in bowl.

Chop up tomatoes, green onions and basil and add to cooked vegetables. Pour half
a bottle of the prepared dressing over all and mix well.

Now add the cooked spaghetti and the rest of the dressing or to taste. You may need to add
a little plain vinegar if not tart enough.

Add some black pepper if you like and serve! It's best when it's just made.

Personally, I don't think there is any better option for fresh basil than pesto! A couple of cloves of garlic, some pine nuts or walnuts, Parmesan cheese and olive oil, all pureed together with a bunch of fresh basil....yum!
It can be used on pasta, but I like it as a potato topper, or as a stuffing in roast pork.
Another classic use for fresh basil is on a Marguerita Pizza, which is a basic pizza dough with tomato sauce, topped with "medallions" of mozzarella, fresh basil leaves and sliced tomato. Absolutely amazing!
Pretty much anything involving pork, tomatoes or mushrooms will be great with basil.

When you talk about mozzarella are you talking about the cheese that you get in a container or can you use the shredded or the grated mozzeralla? I have never bought the kind in a container.Guess I'm just not up on a lot of things about cooking.

Just make a lite vinaigrette and add lots of chopped basil. I agree with ErikC pesto is the way to go and you can freeze it in small packs. I like to toss it in with pasta, broccoli, shrimp or scallops and calamata olives, makes a great quick supper.
C

The fresh mozzarella is something you will find in the better cheeses area. Ask a clerk, if you can't find it. It's usually in a clear plastic tub (like a margarine tub). Usually there are two sizes - small balls about the size of a walnut, and bigger ones, about the size of a lemon. They will be covered with water. It's really delicious and fresh tasting.
And don't apologize for not being "up on a lot of things about cooking". You are trying something new and that's great. Everyone here will be glad to help and answer your questions. Don't hesitate to ask!

Laury, I tried the creamy basil dressing that you posted. It was very good, but I couldn't get my dh to try it. He said its too green, I said you sound just like the kids (their grown). He wouldn't touch it but it seem like the more I ate the better it tasted! I tried it on a salad and when I ran out of the salad, I ate it on some southern fried potatoes and it was good on there too. I think I am going to try with less basil, it called for a cup so it was quite a bit.

I'm so glad you liked it even if DH didn't. At least now you know you like basil and can try some of the other recipes suggested. The Spaghetti Salad recipe I sent has basil in it but most of the "green" stuff is vegetables, so maybe DH will try it. Good luck with your experimenting!

Back
Top Bottom