"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-12-2006, 05:44 AM   #1
Sous Chef

ISO recipe for graham crackers

This site hasn't let me down yet, but I wonder how it will do on crackers!

How close can anybody come to making graham crackers? Can't get ahold of them over here (Greece) and sometimes I miss them like crazy (my idea of late-night comfort food is a handful of graham crackers broken into a cereal bowl and covered with cold milk ...).

(If anybody's feeling wildly inspired, would love to know how close one could get at home to making those Canadian crackers I also miss -- Stoned Wheat Thins.)

Old 06-12-2006, 07:03 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Here's a graham cracker recipe:

http://homecooking.about.com/library...blcookie70.htm

Old 06-12-2006, 05:38 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I don't have a recipe - but someone told me that Graham crackers are like British 'Digestive' biscuits...? If so, I've seen them in many Greek supermarkets.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:43 PM   #4
Everymom

In Canada graham crackers and Digestives are absolutely NOT the same at all. Graham crackers are much denser and darker. Flavour is almost a bit molassesy. (I can hear my English teacher rolling in her grave from that word.)
Old 06-12-2006, 07:38 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
This site hasn't let me down yet, but I wonder how it will do on crackers!

How close can anybody come to making graham crackers? Can't get ahold of them over here (Greece) and sometimes I miss them like crazy (my idea of late-night comfort food is a handful of graham crackers broken into a cereal bowl and covered with cold milk ...).

(If anybody's feeling wildly inspired, would love to know how close one could get at home to making those Canadian crackers I also miss -- Stoned Wheat Thins.)
Here is a very nice history and explanation of graham flour and graham crackers.

http://homecooking.about.com/cs/spec...d/a/graham.htm

It sounds like graham flour is a U.S. product which may be difficult to find in Europe and Eurasia.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:08 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Alix and Aurora
Thanks for the information. Very interesting.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Ishbel, you're right -- digestives ARE easily found here. But they're not the same thing. Still yummy in milk though ;-)

Alix, dunno about the Canadian comparisons. Wouldn't think "molassesy" (perfectly fine word!) although they're somewhat sweet.

Aurora, thanks -- I'll check your link out ASAP.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:11 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I like digestives with a piece of crumbly Caerphilly, Wensleydale or Cheshire cheese.... but that's a seldom-eaten treat for me nowadays!
Old 06-13-2006, 01:21 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

hi aryton,I live here in Canada I use graham cracker crumbs for pie crusts all the time,also grow up eating them buttered whole,very tasty. Anyway I have a company's coming cookbook recipe foe graham crackers,Ive never made it as the crackers are readily available here but I 've never know jean pares recipes to fail,there very straightforward. Let me know if you want it and I'll type it in for you. Leann
Old 06-18-2006, 04:49 PM   #10
Master Chef

Here's an easy one that people love and is SO very easy. Just make up a package of pudding mix (I particularly like butterscotch in this, but virtually any flavor will do). You'll probably want to do two packages or the big one. Then layer graham crackers on the bottom of a pyrex type cake pan -- either the square or the smallest rectangle. You can even do this in a loaf pan. Then layer the pudding, quite thin (you want it about double the thickness of the the crackers). Just keep going, topping with pudding. Cover and refridgerate overnight. Cut in squares -- the pudding will soak through the crackers, giving you a lovely-looking layered effect. Top with a scoop of ice cream or dollop of whipped cream. Minimum effort, great, pretty, result.