ISO: Recipe for Orange rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
In the town where my grandmother lived, there was a bakery like many small towns. My grandmother baked everything, but there was one thing she would buy from the bakery--orange rolls. Now, these were baked in an angel food pan. The dough had orange in it, the glaze was orange flavored but clear, and there were pecans on top. She would warm this in the oven and oh---. Unfortunately, the baker died and no one in his family thought to write the recipe down. I've tried many orange roll recipes, but the dough and glaze are never what I remember. Anyone?

In the town where my grandmother lived, there was a bakery like many small towns. My grandmother baked everything, but there was one thing she would buy from the bakery--orange rolls. Now, these were baked in an angel food pan. The dough had orange in it, the glaze was orange flavored but clear, and there were pecans on top. She would warm this in the oven and oh---. Unfortunately, the baker died and no one in his family thought to write the recipe down. I've tried many orange roll recipes, but the dough and glaze are never what I remember. Anyone?
I'm bumping this because we have had so many talented bakers join since I went searching for this recipe. Anyone? The dough was a sweet yeast bread dough--that part I can do, it is the glaze that defeats me. The "topping" was put in the bottom of the pan before the rolls--kinda like a monkey bread. Any of our new DCers have any thoughts on how this was done?

The recipes that I have seen seem to be basic sweet roll dough with grated orange zest added and then for a filling they seem to go with butter, granulated sugar and additional orange zest. Some use a little orange juice in the glaze, some use a little lemon extract.

I have also seen recipes that use butter and orange marmalade as the filling.

I would prefer the first,subtle orange flavor.

Many years ago a local restaurant served these in the bread basket and they were a huge hit!

I'm bumping this because we have had so many talented bakers join since I went searching for this recipe. Anyone? The dough was a sweet yeast bread dough--that part I can do, it is the glaze that defeats me. The "topping" was put in the bottom of the pan before the rolls--kinda like a monkey bread. Any of our new DCers have any thoughts on how this was done?
Could it have involved orange marmalade?

Something like this perhaps:-

1 heaped tbsp orange marmalade
200g/7oz icing sugar, sifted
1 orange, zest only, grated

I've used this on Chelsea buns

Well, if it is a clear glaze, maybe it was just marmelade brushed on and nothing else. Knot's Berry Farm makes a sweeter flavored marmelade than some brands so it may not even be recognized as a marmelade.

This was back in the '60s and '70s and I was a child--I didn't think to ask for the recipe! It was kinda like a monkey bread, but the topping was an orange glaze...it was so good.

CWS—it’s one of those kind of recipes is it? Orange Memory Rolls. Now that’s more like it. Sometimes things taste better because we remember how good they were the first times. I understand why you are looking to make it again.

My OMR’s involve a yellow chiffon type cake made by Dad’s cousin late 50’s early 60’s. It was so yellow. They grew chickens, so it probably had lots of eggs, and was so moist. The frosting I don’t remember the color, it set up and wasn’t heavy or sticky. It had caramel bits like a butter brickle. I have tried burnt sugar frosting, that’s not it. What else made it good, was Dad really liked it, he always had a 2nd slice which was a clue for us kids to mimic. And cousin encouraged 2nd servings even if she made other goodies. She made sure she made this cake when she knew we would visit. Otherwise, it was impolite to have 2nd helpings of sweets. She made it in a large loaf pan 10x12? Rather than angel cake pan like chiffon cakes I have had since. Elusive.

Personally I like Got Garlic’s idea for a glaze. I have some church cook books ( the spiral bound kind) from the early 60’s. I recall, there are some monkey bread rolls somewhere. I will give a look see tomorrow. I should go back to bed now.

That is a nice recipe aunt Bea. One of the reviews tells of using sweet roll dough instead of biscuits. I bet that would be great, and maybe like the OP remembers!:yum::)

Back
Top Bottom