ISO - Recipes for Patty Pan Squash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
I picked up a 2 lb package of yellow and green baby patty pan squash along with baby zucchini...what should I do with these. Raw, cooked?

Oh, I love those babies. :yum: My first thought was shred them and make a slaw. I've got slaw on my mind though, since I just made a broccoli/carrot slaw earlier today.

You could shred them, mix with beaten eggs, and make squash pancakes. Ina has a good recipe for zucchini pancakes, and I'm sure you could use the patty pan as well.

And like kgirl suggested, chunk them up and lightly sauté with some onions and garlic, and maybe a little thyme. Oh, the possibilities...!

I would cut the tops off scoop out the innards and stuff them.

Chop the meaty portion of the innards, saute them with some onion, sausage, herbs etc... Mix them with breadcrumbs cheese an egg and pile it back into the shells and bake them at 375 for 30 minutes or so, until the squash is tender and the filling is hot.

Maybe just half them along with some chunks of onion
and BACON lardons :heart:
in a medium-hot pan a little olive oil and some of that rendered grease, maybe some minced garlic too,
saute to a crisp tender and you've got me in the palm of your hand:wub:

Oh, I love those babies. :yum: My first thought was shred them and make a slaw. I've got slaw on my mind though, since I just made a broccoli/carrot slaw earlier today.

You could shred them, mix with beaten eggs, and make squash pancakes. Ina has a good recipe for zucchini pancakes, and I'm sure you could use the patty pan as well.

And like kgirl suggested, chunk them up and lightly sauté with some onions and garlic, and maybe a little thyme. Oh, the possibilities...!

Thank you for the ideas.

I tried them raw as a nibble and they are a bit bitter. Will want to cook them, I'm sure. Shrek will need them cooked to be able to eat them.

Any more ideas folks?

I would cut the tops off scoop out the innards and stuff them.

Chop the meaty portion of the innards, saute them with some onion, sausage, herbs etc... Mix them with breadcrumbs cheese an egg and pile it back into the shells and bake them at 375 for 30 minutes or so, until the squash is tender and the filling is hot.

Sounds good. They are quite little...about two inches across.

No clue what "patty pans" means, but for zucchini and yellow summer squash, I prefer grilling or broiling. Just split lengthwise, brush with melted butter or a good olive oil; season as desired - I like some of the herb mixtures I buy from Savory Spice Shop, but salt and pepper or lemon pepper works too; then grill on high to med high just so the edges are brown but the squash is still firm. It's easy to overcook it and make it mushy.

If they are too big for a single split, then I may quarter them instead, but I prefer smaller squash, no longer than about 6 inches.

Last edited:
I like them cut up in a small casserole along with butter, S&P, a diced tomato, and a small can of diced green chili's. Top with grated cheese mixed with Panko bread crumbs, and bake at 375 degrees.

7061335_f520.jpg

You could sub them for the mirliton in a maque choux or roast them with sliced fennel and grape tomatoes.

These are the most challenging of the squash we grow. I like them when they are really tiny (about 1 inch across) and chop them raw and add them to a salad. When they are larger, I usually cut the top off, scoop out the seeds and treat them as if they were peppers--stuffing them with my favorite stuffing. I do usually nuke them for about 5 minutes before stuffing them. They are very bland in flavour, and a cross between a winter and summer squash. They keep very well. Once they have a "hard" skin, they are turned into to chicken feed.

So Pf, did you and Shrek have your Patty pans yet?

Yes, we just finished our dinner. I sliced to 1/4 inch thickness and sauteed them in butter with onion, mushrooms and garlic. They got a bit of carmelisation and turned out excellent. There is a small bit left over that will be chopped for a shared omelet in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom