"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO recipes for pet treats?

Hope this is not offensive to anyone. I don't know where to put this if anywhere, but I've been dying to bake for our tiny Chihuahua some homemade dog treats that she might actually eat. I've tried a few recipes in the past and I can't blame her. They smelled bland. Recipes anyone?

Old 02-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Head Chef

Try cheese perhaps as a topping. Doc the Snooty Bouvier just buries Milk Bones and will let good dog food sit all day, waiting for a bit of grated cheese to be mixed into it. At that point, he eats it all immediately. (He prefers good cheeses. Grana Padano, Fiore Sardi, etc.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyAngel View Post
Hope this is not offensive to anyone. I don't know where to put this if anywhere, but I've been dying to bake for our tiny Chihuahua some homemade dog treats that she might actually eat. I've tried a few recipes in the past and I can't blame her. They smelled bland. Recipes anyone?
I don't think anyone here will be offended by your question. Were all pet lovers. It doesn't matter what kind you have. They are our kids, basically have the attitude if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for us.

My dogs love anything that's home baked, basted with bacon grease. Pumpkin treats put's them over the moon. They lay under the oven door waiting until those cookies are done. My GR, actually lays in a comatose puddle of drool. He has no shame.

Here's a few links that helped me. I used some of the basics, then adapted them to suit my own dogs individual needs. At the time I took over my Shepard's geriatric diet. She was with us longer than the vet expected.

Rover's Recipes

Make Homemade Dog Treat Recipes for Your Dog

Best of luck.

Munky.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Executive Chef

The Gent is a Vet

Let me ask the Vet when he gets home, if he has clientel with recipes for treats for pooches and / or kit kats ... Maybe Princess Fiona -- she is a Cat Enthusiast ... ( he works in the next province 45 km - works with livestock predominately here in Spain --- a Government professional need )

I also see some other members with Canine Logos --- so quite possible.

Margi.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I would love some recipes for treats for cats. I doubt that Shreddy would eat them, but there will be other cats.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I have the Three Dog Bakery cookbook and the dogs all love the stuff I have made from there. Amazon.com: Three Dog Bakery Cookbook: Over 50 Recipes for All-Natural Treats for Your Dog (9780836269192): Mark Beckloff, Dan Dye: Books
Old 02-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Sous Chef

I save turkey and chicken carcasses in zip-loc bags in the freezer. When I have enough, I break them up a bit and put them in the pressure cooker until the bones soften, then put them thriugh the meat grinder on my mixer then mix them back into their broth. Then I add some fresh flax meal. Usually I just pour that into a tub, snap the lid on and refrigerate. Sadie, my Queensland heeler, loves the stuff. It sets up like a paté. It can be spooned onto a baking sheet and baked in a very slow oven, so that it hardens without burning, and becomes dog biscuits. I have also put the paté back through the meat grinder with a sausage tube on it, and extruded it onto my baking sheet, then cut into short pieces and baked. You could probably put it through a cookie press, too.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Beagle loves dehydrated peaches. I had some mediocre ones I tried to salvage by drying. I didn't care for them, she loved 'em.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I buy professionally made dog treats made by our Go Fetch! staff. They might be amenable to giving you their recipe. I know the dogs at work go for the cheesy bones.

The cats like any cheese that's more than $3 a pound. Funny, they are not fish eaters. They like chicken and I can't leave it on my plate with out it disappearing. Ham and corned beef are other favorites of theirs.

When I poach chicken, I do half without salt and spices. Chopped with cooked rice and egg, I make little treats for them by the teaspoonful. Keep refrigerated.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I buy professionally made dog treats made by our Go Fetch! staff. They might be amenable to giving you their recipe. I know the dogs at work go for the cheesy bones.

The cats like any cheese that's more than $3 a pound. Funny, they are not fish eaters. They like chicken and I can't leave it on my plate with out it disappearing. Ham and corned beef are other favorites of theirs.

When I poach chicken, I do half without salt and spices. Chopped with cooked rice and egg, I make little treats for them by the teaspoonful. Keep refrigerated.
I'll have to try giving Shreddy some expensive cheese. He and Sucha (female who died in 2007 at 15 y.o.) have/had no interest in fish, except for tuna and they both preferred the "tuna water".

The first time Sucha ever ate something off a plate on a table was to eat Quick Chocolate Cake TNT - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums. Really surprised me.