"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-10-2006, 03:30 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
I recently added capers to tuna for a tuna sandwich. i was out of relish and the capers worked nicely.

Old 03-10-2006, 03:54 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Aside from Caponata, Salmon and Tuna that are already mentioned, capers are great with roasted bell peppers... very nice antipasto, also great for bruschetta...

Bake the whole peppers in the oven at 180C/350F for about 40minutes, turning them over once in the middle. Let them cool a little, when they are safe to touch but still very warm, peel off the outer skin, remove the seedy centre, then tear them into strips, dress them with caper and pine nuts. Drizzle some good evoo over, serve them chilled or at room temperature.

* We use salted capers, and rinse them well before adding them to our food, they are still salty enough after rinsing, without rinsing, way too salty!!

* for roasted peppers, you can roast some garlic cloves together, then mash it and mix with bell pepper and other things... additional flavour!

Old 03-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #23
Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Bake the whole peppers in the oven at 180C/350F for about 40minutes, turning them over once in the middle. Let them cool a little, when they are safe to touch but still very warm, peel off the outer skin, remove the seedy centre, then tear them into strips, dress them with caper and pine nuts. Drizzle some good evoo over, serve them chilled or at room temperature.
Sounds great! My mouth is watering thinking about that one... i love roasted peppers.

bknox- tuna sandwich! That sounds nice.. i bet it adds a nice, salty taste. I will have to try that.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:33 PM   #24
Senior Cook

I was kinda surprised nobody brought their main (well, in American standards) use up...Great if you want to take the easy route with using them...

Tartar sauce. All it is is mayo, capers, pickles, chives, parsley and (credit to Emeril for turning me on to this last ingredient for his take on tartar) stone ground mustard (Polish mustard works well too, but not everybody likes the bite Polish mustard has). Tastes SOOOOOO much better than the stuff out of a jar.

Course I failed/forgot to mention it too, but that's just a minor detail :P
Old 03-10-2006, 08:34 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Capers in mashed potatoes - I like the idea! Hey, how long can an open jar of capers stay good in the fridge? Do they ever go bad or stay okay forever because of the salt?
Old 03-10-2006, 08:45 PM   #26
Senior Cook

If they're brined in salt and vinegar...they'll last longer than you'd ever need them to.

If you get the larger berries which are typically packed in water or oil, there's a shelf life.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:16 PM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

The caper berries (large ones) that I have bought have been in a brine. I have never seen them in water or oil. I would love to find them in oil though.