"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-01-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Smile ISO Recipes that use garlic

In the spirit of 2 other threads I created on another board I just have to ask this. What are your favourite recipes for cooking with garlic? Now I bought some I need some ideas on what to do with it! Thanks!

Old 02-01-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

It would be easier and less time consuming to tell you what I DON'T put garlic in....seriously!!

But just to mention a few things....others will give you ideas too!

Soups..Stews..Gumbos and all of the sub-topics under those three subjects.

Really...just get your recipe books...find something you like that has garlic and go for it!

A recipe....Peel and slice a couple of toes..."Warm" some EVOO...add the garlic for several minutes or more...add some salt..fresh ground pepper...and dip(french) bread in it....The key word being "warm".. not hot!

Enjoy

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
One of our favorites here is to smear a whole bunch of roasted garlic under the skin of a whole chicken, then roast the chicken. Of course, we've done the same thing with skin-on pieces of chicken.

Roasted garlic has a wonderful sweet character and I've even been known to eat a whole clove of roasted garlic just for the great taste.

I also like to spread roasted garlic on thinly sliced baguette as an appetizer.

I thought garlic was one of the food groups.

I have a great recipe for beef short ribs with 40, yes 40, cloves of garlic. Tasty.

I could go on and on.

And as Uncle Bob said, it would be easier to tell you what we DON'T put garlic on/in.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I love Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic. I recently did a Brisket with 40 cloves of garlic. I'm going to try Toast with 40 cloves of galic. Just joking! I too love garlic, grow my own, and it makes it's way into most dishes.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Katie...

What must I do to persuade you to share your recipe of Short ribs with 40 cloves of ga-lic with me?? Will you make me drive to Kaintuck?

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
Master Chef

Garlic is used as a seasoning in mainly savory dishes - basically anything other than confections or deserts like cakes, pies, candies, puddings, Jello, etc. when you want the flavor. Like Uncle Bob said - it's easier to list what not to put garlic in.

Garlic can be used in rubs for smoking meats, in soups, stews, braises, in roasting, casseroles, sauces, BBQ sauce, with vegetables, in some breads (onion and garlic bagels are one of my favorites), used in marinades, oil infusions, vinaigrettes, slivers can be stuffed into pork roasts or a leg of lamb, a paste can be used on or under the skin of chicken or turkey, in meatloaf, meatballs, sausages, chili, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, potato salad, pasta, to make garlic bread ... and the list just goes on and on and on like the Energizer Bunny.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:43 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I LOVE garlic mashed potatoes. Definitely going to do that soon.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:26 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I made a version of this years ago.
Astray Recipes: Garlic flan
Old 02-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Oh man NYBrit. You can use the garlic in just about anything you desire.
I use it on chicken, pork, spaghetti sauce, stews, roasts etc...
Old 02-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #10
Head Chef

Is there anything you CAN'T use garlic with? I couldn't cook for a week without it.

Easy one I use a lot..

Lightly saute a couple of minced cloves in 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil. Remove the garlic, pan fry a couple of light fish fillets in the flavored oil (I like Tilapia for this but pick your fav. Tilapia cooks in about 2 minutes without having to turn it.). Spoon the sauted garlic over the cooked filets and serve with lemon.

or...

Saute minced garlic in olive oil for about a minute on med heat. Add sliced mushrooms, cook to about 2-3 minutes tossing regularly. Deglaze with white wine, and reduce for a few minutes. I don't have any exact quantities or times for this... I just do it by feel.