ISO recipes with Golden syrup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
I've seen Lyle's Golden Syrup but have not bought it yet , wondering if it is worth the purchase. I don't want to use it once or twice and it sits on the shelf for ages. I have googled for recipes especially at the Lyle's site. Just wondered if anyone here used the product.

LadyCook61

I've seen Lyle's Golden Syrup but have not bought it yet , wondering if it is worth the purchase. I don't want to use it once or twice and it sits on the shelf for ages. I have googled for recipes especially at the Lyle's site. Just wondered if anyone here used the product.

LadyCook61

Being raised on the stuff, best friends family was from England and I met her at 6 years old. It was a staple in her/their home. It's been in mine ever since and wouldn't be without it. I've posted several times on it's uses, but for me, mostly I love it on home made white sandwich bread with peanut butter. Again, raised on it that way. I don't care how long mine sits in the kitchen store, I enjoy just knowing it's there, with it's little sister, Treacle.

Being raised on the stuff, best friends family was from England and I met her at 6 years old. It was a staple in her/their home. It's been in mine ever since and wouldn't be without it. I've posted several times on it's uses, but for me, mostly I love it on home made white sandwich bread with peanut butter. Again, raised on it that way. I don't care how long mine sits in the kitchen store, I enjoy just knowing it's there, with it's little sister, Treacle.

I just bought a jar of the golden syrup at Wegman's. I didn't see the Treacle there. The syrup is expensive , $4.99 , hubby was not happy about it. I told him I have to try it before I die ;) and besides he would benefit too when I make things with it.

My husband (from England), likes golden syrup, though we don't buy it very often. I think he used it over cereal, but I think it would be good on pancakes, crepes, waffles. It reminds me of a sweet corn syrup.

We use it for many puddings - you could use it to make a syrup pudding. We also use it to flavour porridge instead of sugar. This our favourite recipe for British flapjacks (like a cake)

Special Flapjacks
Ingredients

315g / 10oz Margarine
4 tbsp golden syrup
185g / 6oz demerara sugar
250g / 8oz oats
250g / 8oz self raising flour
250g / 8oz dried fruit

Method

1 Heat the oven to 190°C / 375 °F / Gas Mark 5. Grease the baking tin

2 Melt the margarine, syrup and sugar together in a saucepan. Allow to cool a little

3 Add the oats, self-raising flour and dried fruit.

4 Pour into the tray and bake for 20-25 minutes

5 Cut up when cold!

Last edited by a moderator:
LC, we used to have a lovely member of DC from Scotland, Ishbel. Do a search for her recipes - I think she used golden syrup in a lot of her baked goodies.

Oh Bilby, I forgot about treacle tart. That is a definite goody - I have a recipe if you want one lady cook.

Alix, thanks for taking the font marks out of my recipe.

Oh Bilby, I forgot about treacle tart. That is a definite goody - I have a recipe if you want one lady cook.

Alix, thanks for taking the font marks out of my recipe.

I don't have treacle , but if you have a recipe using golden syrup, please post it. :)

We use it for many puddings - you could use it to make a syrup pudding. We also use it to flavour porridge instead of sugar. This our favourite recipe for British flapjacks (like a cake)

Special Flapjacks
Ingredients

315g / 10oz Margarine
4 tbsp golden syrup
185g / 6oz demerara sugar
250g / 8oz oats
250g / 8oz self raising flour
250g / 8oz dried fruit

Method

1 Heat the oven to 190°C / 375 °F / Gas Mark 5. Grease the baking tin

2 Melt the margarine, syrup and sugar together in a saucepan. Allow to cool a little

3 Add the oats, self-raising flour and dried fruit.

4 Pour into the tray and bake for 20-25 minutes

5 Cut up when cold!

thank you miniman.
LadyCook

Here you are:

Treacle Tart​

Ingredients:

225g plain flour
Pinch of salt
100g margarine
2-3 tablespoons of cold waiter

For the filling
8 tablespoons of golden syrup
2 teaspoons of grated lemon rind
50g fresh while bread crumbs

Method:
  • Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
  • Cut the margarine into small pieces and rub in until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs
  • Sprinkle over the water and mix to form dough. Knead very lightly.
  • Roll our three-quarters of the pastry on lightly floured surface and use to line a 9 inch oven proof pie plate. Leave to chill in the refrigerator while preparing the rifling.
  • Gently heat the syrup and mix in the lemon rind and bread crumbs. Pour into the pastry shell.
  • Roll out the remaining pastry and cut into thin strips to form a lattice pattern on top of the tart.
  • Bake in a moderately hot oven for about 30 minutes and serve with a custard sauce (or vanilla ice-cream!)

Last edited:
LadyCook, wherever you see a recipe calling for treacle, you can often substitute Golden Syrup. Less malty than treacle, it has same consistency and similar sweetness. Some recipes call for a combination of both treacle and Golden Syrup but you can usually get by with using all of one or the other.

LadyCook, wherever you see a recipe calling for treacle, you can often substitute Golden Syrup. Less malty than treacle, it has same consistency and similar sweetness. Some recipes call for a combination of both treacle and Golden Syrup but you can usually get by with using all of one or the other.
thanks for the information . :)

LadyCook

Here you are:

Treacle Tart​

Ingredients:

225g plain flour
Pinch of salt
100g margarine
2-3 tablespoons of cold waiter

For the filling
8 tablespoons of golden syrup
2 teaspoons of grated lemon rind
50g fresh while bread crumbs

Method:
  • Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
  • Cut the margarine into small pieces and rub in until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs
  • Sprinkle over the water and mix to form dough. Knead very lightly.
  • Roll our three-quarters of the pastry on lightly floured surface and use to line a 9 inch oven proof pie plate. Leave to chill in the refrigerator while preparing the rifling.
  • Gently heat the syrup and mix in the lemon rind and bread crumbs. Pour into the pastry shell.
  • Roll out the remaining pastry and cut into thin strips to form a lattice pattern on top of the tart.
  • Bake in a moderately hot oven for about 30 minutes and serve with a custard sauce (or vanilla ice-cream!)

thank you for the delicious sounding recipe !
LadyCook

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom