"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-07-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO reliable/easy Eggplant Parm recipe

I'm looking for an easy recipe for Eggplant Parm. I made it the other day ended up setting off the fire alarm, burning some and under cooking the rest. Any good easy recipes?

Old 10-07-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hi, cupcake. Here's an easy and tasty one I've made. Instead of plain breadcrumbs I use panko crumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs), which makes the eggplant nice and crispy. I love eggplant Parmesan and it's on our menu for next week. Hope yours turns out well.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Hi, cupcake. Here's an easy and tasty one I've made. Instead of plain breadcrumbs I use panko crumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs), which makes the eggplant nice and crispy. I love eggplant Parmesan and it's on our menu for next week. Hope yours turns out well.
I agree. Panko bread crumbs are great for frying eggplant. If you can't get panko, try dipping your eggplant slices in cornstarch instead of flour, then beaten egg, then regular bread crumbs. The cornstarch keeps them crispy and prevents a lot of oil from being absorbed into the slices. Fry them quickly and you won't wind up with soggy eggplant. You may have to dump and change the oil before adding the second batch but it's worth it. I make eggplant parmesan often and I love it. Suggestion: I add a couple slices of chopped prosciutto to the layers before baking. Makes a world of difference. I never use dried basil, only fresh because the flavor is lost in drying basil. There is really no comparison. Try the panko too.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thank you! I'm going to try these.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I always salt eggplant and let it sit for 30 minutes before I cook it. The eggplant is a lot firmer and doesn't 'sog up' as much.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

How much salt do you use?
Old 10-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
Master Chef

Oh, oh dear Cupcake - why why why torture yourself with the old & oily/greasy method of frying your eggplant slices?? Haven't bothered with that for years now. Keep it healthy AND tasty by baking your slices. Couldn't be EASIER , less GREASY, or TASTIER.

Slice your eggplant without peeling about 1" thick. Place on a olive-oiled baking sheet, lightly brush slices via a pastry brush with extra-virgin olive oil, & sprinkle with your choice & amount of seasoning - salt, crushed red pepper flakes, dried oregano or Italian seasoning, granulated garlic, etc. Bake in a hot oven (around 450 degrees) until just starting to tender (about 15 minutes or so - check slices with a fork). Flip slices, reseason, & continue baking until tender.

Then use these slices to layer in your favorite eggplant parmesan recipe. I usually put sauce in the bottom of a casserole, then a layer of eggplant, then another layer of sauce, then a layer of mixed grated cheeses (parmesan & mozzarella), then more sauce, more eggplant, more cheese, etc. Finish up with sauce, cheese, & a light topping of breadcrumbs dotted with butter.

Bake at 350 degrees until everything is heated through & bubbly.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
Head Chef

Hey, Breezy, I'm lazy and don't have the patience to fry eggplant for parm, so I bake them. They ARE much easier and less greasy that way, but I must disagree with you on the flavor. When my brother fries the eggplant, it's even more delicious!

Lee
Old 10-10-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakesprinkle View Post
How much salt do you use?
I use coarse salt and a lot of it. Pour a handful over the slices, both sides. Let them sit in a collander for half an hour and rinse them in a pan of cold water and pat them dry.

-----

As far as baked or fried? I baked eggplant for moussaka on Saturday, just as Breezy described and had battered and fried eggplant with tzatziki on Sunday. You really can't lose either way!!!
Old 10-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #10
Cook

If you're looking for easy and reliable, you could make an eggplant parm casserole...