"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
Executive Chef

ISO saffron suggestions (rice?)

I had meant to try saffron in my cooking a couple years ago, but somehow I got sidetracked. I have 0.02 oz. Trader Joe's Spanish saffron (threads). I'm worried about that all spices gradually use their potency and flavor with time, and I think I should use my saffron ASAP.

Can anybody give me some simple starter recipes using saffron? Maybe just plain saffron rice? Or maybe a bit more complex than that, but I'll prefer a recipe that doesn't require a lot of buying ingredients. I want to start out simple.

Your ideas? TIA

Old 02-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Head Chef

It's great in rice or couscous - the best way to use it is to soak it in hot water or broth first, then use that as part of your liquid measurement.

Saffron is also great in seafood and chicken recipes, paella, etc. I use it when making steamed mussels with butter, shallots, garlic, and dry white wine.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Head Chef

It's at its best in paella, especially if you use the right rice. Bomba is probably best. But other medium grain rices work, like arborio that's easier to find. .

A paella doesn't take many ingredients. You've probably already got most of it, paprika, garlic and tomatoes. Sort of a backward rissoto. Cook the garlic, tomato, whatever greens you want, and shrimp of chicken with paprika and saffron to make a stock and reduce it to concentrate the flavor, and then add the rice and simmer untouched and uncovered until all the free stock is absorbed. That absorption is what proper paella rices are good at. (Over an open wood fire, is nice too. Gives it a touch of smoke.) You cook it over a burner or fire, because you want the important crispy layer on the bottom. Nothing fancy. The dish began as a meal to fix in the field with whatever small meat wasn't fast enough to escape.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Risotto Milanese.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I have my own paella recipe that used to be great except that it relied on a package rice ingredient, Uncle Ben's brown rice. I've never been able to reproduce the recipe since UB terminated the product, although my many guests said they loved it. It didn't use saffron. (That's one reason I hate brand ingredients. If they withdraw it then your recipe is killed.)

Is there just a simple saffron rice recipe that anybody could recommend? That might be a good starting point for me to appreciate saffron without complicating and confounding ingredients.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Parmesan & Saffron Risotto

6-8 C Chicken Stock
4 Tb Butter, divided
1 C Onion - minced
1 C Arborio Rice
C White Wine
tsp Saffron Threads
1 C Parmesan Cheese

Heat the stock to a simmer and maintain at that temperature during the cooking process.

In a saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and sweat the onions for about 10 minutes over low heat.

Add the rice and stir to coat the rice with the melted butter. Cook for a few minutes.

Add the wine and reduce until almost dry.

Add a cup of the stock and stir frequently while boiling gently.

When the stock is almost absorbed, add another half cup and continue to cook, stirring frequently.

Continue adding the stock a half-cup at a time and cooking for about 20 to 25 minutes.

In the last 10 minutes, add the saffron and stir in.

When the rice is tender and creamy, add 2T of butter and the cheese.

Mix in and serve.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Thanks Andy, that's getting close. I have all that stuff except the specific rice. Does it require Arborio or can I substitute another rice? I favor long grain rice...

I had thought you should soak your saffron in water or some other liquid for use...

Is there a basic saffron rice or is your suggested recipe it?
Old 02-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

since saffron id delicate as well as expensive, using it in simple dishes that have other delicate ingredients is the way to go.

besides paella, saffron scalliops comes to mind. or saffron scrambled eggs.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Yeah but I already bought it and I'm worrying that it will lose its taste before I use it. Price really isn't that important now, and TJ's has good prices anyway. Probably didn't cost over $20-$30... (That's a joke, it was probably about $4-$5. Looks like enough for about 3-5 dishes.)

I'm tempted to try Andy's recipe. I could add shrimp to that and make it a one dish recipe, right? Maybe throw in some peas and carrots? Carrots sooner and peas towards the end maybe? Saute the shrimp and set aside before starting the risotto, then return them to the dish midway?
Old 02-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, if it already lost it's taste, then it wouldn't be any better in any recipe.

i've gotta stop trying to be helpful and just be a wise ass.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rice