ISO sausage gravy REC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
With all the breakfast ideas, how about you lay down some of those sausage gravy ideas for me? You know, for biscuits and gravy!

Angie It is real simple brown off a pound of your favorite sausage (breakfast) and pour off excess grease then add a little flour and stir well let it cook for a few to git rid of the raw flour taste then add whole milk a little at a time till you git the thickness you want season with salt and pepper to taste let cook for a few and ladle over your fav biscuit
sit back and enjoy

Angie It is real simple brown off a pound of your favorite sausage (breakfast) and pour off excess grease then add a little flour and stir well let it cook for a few to git rid of the raw flour taste then add whole milk a little at a time till you git the thickness you want season with salt and pepper to taste let cook for a few and ladle over your fav biscuit
sit back and enjoy

Yes Sir! That is the one. Some add more black peppper, but this is the one! Nice! :clap:

Yep! When I was first shown how to make sausage gravy I couldn't believe that's how simple it was. Just a dusting of flour on the top and enough milk to sort of "float" things.

Thanks guys! Me and gravy don't get along real well (cooking, that is..eating, we're fine)!

You can use the same method for country fried steak...that gravy goes well with the steak and some mashed potatoes :-p

Angie - when they say "add flour and cook until the flour taste is gone" you need to whisk fairly constantly for at LEAST 3 minutes, no less. That's a big part of making a gravy like this.

Once you start to add the milk whisk constantly and add milk a little at a time (maybe 1/2 cup at a time or so), ALMOST fully incorporating each addition before adding the next.

Yep - you've got the recipe ... crumbled sausage fried up with some onion (optional) - drain all but 2-3 tablespoons drippings (depending on how much gravy you want to make) sprinkle on about 1 heaping tablespoon AP flour for each tablespoon drippings, and use WHOLE MILK - not that white milk-colored stuff (otherwise you just might as well use water - they are equally tasteless) .... and salt and ground black pepper.

If you run out of biscuits - its great on toast, cornbread or rice. Yes, you can eat sausage gravy and rice for breakfast. Right, Uncle Bob?

Last edited:
It will work. That recipe is so simple and forgiving ya can't mess it up, unless, however, you want to try to make it HEALTHY. If someone wants to come up with a diet or even worse, vegan, recipe for the stuff, let them eat it. This stuff is high carb, stick to your artery food, and doggone good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom