"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

ISO savory rhubarb ideas...

Okay--I'm not a big fan of rhubarb...it's okay, but...however, I have a lovely piece of salmon I want to grill tomorrow...I'm thinking rhubarb salsa...similar to what I do with cranberries. Or maybe a sauce using some fresh herbs...for some reason sage and rosemary come to mind. I've never experimented using rhubarb in a savory sauce...ideas anyone?

Old 05-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Head Chef

I only use it for pie or jam but the idea of making it savory as a sauce or salsa is intriguing ... I think it would go well with sage or Rosemary if you simmered it down so the rhubarb became soft. I'll be interested in seeing other responses you get ...

Old 05-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I did a search...one recipe used cardamon, mustard seeds, garlic, and corriander (fresh). Not sure how that would go with salmon. Another used ginger, star of anise, and a jalepano pepper...I an thinking a little soy and maybe some rice vinegar...Another was for duck and used sage, but I'm not sure about sage and salmon. And, I'm not sure about dill and rhubarb...I guess if we don't like it with the salmon, we can eat it on something else...I make a very nice cherry sauce for salmon...but I don't think substituting the rhubarb for the cherries will work. Since rhubarb is tart and cranberries are tart--I thought I could modify how I make cranberry salsa by using the rhubarb instead. Maybe if I add the grated fresh ginger and the star of anise, and make it like I do the cranberry, that would be enough, using cilantro as the herb...

I'm having a hard time "marrying" rhubarb with an herb/spices. I am hoping one of the professional chefs on the list can help with this.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I've had a rhubarb compote with grilled t bones. it was incredibly good.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Two recipes I found that sounded good (and I want to try with chicken, but decided we'd have the salmon tomorrow instead) were these:

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/440229/The-Nordic-Diet-chicken-with-baked-rhubarb

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Lemon-Rhubarb-Chicken-237100

Since the rhubarb grows in the yard...figured I'd like to try something different with it.

What kind of "flavors" did the compote have?
Old 05-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
Executive Chef

CW, my first thought for a rhubarb compote or relish for salmon was that lemon and onions would work well. I googled "salmon rhubarb" and found some recipes with onion, rhubarb and lemon, some use white wine. I would keep it simple as far as herbs go, maybe some tarragon? I wouldn't want to over power the salmon.

I checked out the chicken recipes you linked, they sound good too.

Now You've got me thinking about savory uses for rhubarb. We grow it and love it. Going to have to try some of these recipes. Good luck with the salmon!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Tarragon is the other herb I've been toying with...I have that in the herb garden...