ISO Scacciata Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcyMist

Sous Chef
I am looking for a basic, one layer TNT scacciata recipe. Anybody have one that isn't too labor intense? I surfed, but I really would like to find a TNT recipe if anyone has. I absolutely LOVE scacciata!!!!!

The Scacciata that I know is two layered, with the crust both on the bottom and top. I haven't made it myself, but this recipe comes very close to what I know. If you can get a ready made bread dough, should be quite easy to make.
Hope this one helps...

INGREDIENTS:
About 800 g (2lb) fresh bread dough (either make your own or buy it from your baker)
250 g (1/2lb) mild Caciocavallo or Provolone (mild), shredded
100 g (3,5oz) fresh lard or good quality evoo
75 g (2,5oz) salted anchovy filets, rinsed, pat dried
3 ripe plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, sliced
An onion, thinly sliced
10 black olives, pitted and chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

PREPARATION:
Preheat your oven to 190C°/375°F.
Briefly knead the dough and divide it into two pieces, one somewhat larger than the other.
Roll the larger one out and use it to line a pie pan/flat round form of about 25cm/10in. diameter. Arrange the cheese over the dough, followed by the tomatoes, anchovies, and olives.
Lay the sliced onion to cover the surface, sprinkle with half the lard/oil, and season lightly with salt and pepper.
Roll out the second piece of dough and use it to cover the pie,sealing the edges with a fork so they stick.
Lightly coat top of the pie with the remaining lard/oil, make a few holes in the crust with a fork to let the steam escape, and bake the scacciata for about 40 minutes. Serve it hot.

That isn't anything like the recipe that I have had before, BUT it definitely looks good. TY very much I will be trying it out soon.

Can you describe what type of pie you had as "Scacciata"? This is a traditional Sicilian recipe, but it is not unusual that a recipe is hugely modified into something else abroad, or the name gets adopted to something else. If you can explain what kind of your "scacciata" a bit more in detail, that may help finding what you are looking for...

Hmmm it is mostly a tomato sauce on one layer, with mushrooms, ground beef and a small amount of cheese. It is eaten cold. Not sure about spices and can't remember what else might be in it. I know I have a lousy memory. :)

Back
Top Bottom