"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-23-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
Sous Chef

ISO Snacks...

Does anyone have any good ideas for (afterschool or whatever) snacks? I keep drawing a blank, I'll stand in my kitchen for the longest time just sorta staring at the fridge wondering what the hey to have!

preferably something that wouldn't take long to prepare, and something that wouldn't need to be made ahead of time (i.e. popsicles) becuase I never get around to making those types of things thinking...'yeah this will be great for tomorrow'.

anyway, any suggestions would be good. thx!!

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
Head Chef

We would always have apples with peanut butter; cereal; graham crackers with frosting; popcorn.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
Sous Chef

sandwich wraps...easy and healthy.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I'm with Angie on the snacks. Some others that we have . . . baby carrots w/your fav dressing (i.e., Ranch, Blue Cheese), smoothies don't take very long to pop in frozen fruit & over-ripened bananas, cheese & crackers w/fruit. I'm gettin' hungry! Hope this gives you a few more ideas!
Old 05-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

How about a homemade "trail mix" Using your favorite nuts, dried fruits, maybe a crunchy cereal. And oh! maybe some tiny chocolate morsels. Think of all the possiblities. Make a big batch and zip lock. It will be waiting for you when you get home.

Enjoy!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Frozen grapes !
Old 05-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

One my kids all love and now the grandkids are enjoying it as well. Take a taco sized flour tortilla,cover almost to the edge with your favorite kind of cheese broken into tiny pieces ( it melts faster) zap it til cheese is melted and runny, about 35 seconds.roll like a cigar put on folded paper towel so it doesn't run and enjoy..Be careful they get pretty hot My favorite cheese for this is pepper jack..

kadesma
Old 05-23-2007, 07:23 PM   #8
Master Chef

When our teenage grandson was still here, he most always brought friends home with him, as the other "mothers' were working. They'd come in the door after football practice asking "G-ma" what there was to eat. Boys that age can't be satisfied with raw vegies and dip. They might eat some on the side, but they want bulk!
Chips, sodas, lemonade and chocolate milk were a must, but that was just a start. When I had balogna, ham or sliced turkey from the deli, 3 boys would easily go through a whole loaf of bread. They loved the frozen Totino's Pizza Rolls , and I always kept cheap frozen pizzas on hand. Sometimes I'd spread flour tortillas with re-fried beans and grated cheese, pop them in the oven until the cheese was melted, and cut them in bite size pieces.
My husband always has venison salami made from part of his deer kill, and the boys could go through half a stick of that, a half pound of American cheese and a box of Ritz crackers in no time.
The ubiquitous blue box of macaroni and cheese was always a hit, especially if I cut up a a couple of hot dogs in it.

I did get them to eat a few healthier things...such as bananas, white seedles grapes, and chunks of melon, especially in the summer, after football practice. Surprisingly, most of them also liked cottage cheese, with just salt & pepper.

That sure was a good time.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
One my kids all love and now the grandkids are enjoying it as well. Take a taco sized flour tortilla,cover almost to the edge with your favorite kind of cheese broken into tiny pieces ( it melts faster) zap it til cheese is melted and runny, about 35 seconds.roll like a cigar put on folded paper towel so it doesn't run and enjoy..Be careful they get pretty hot My favorite cheese for this is pepper jack..

kadesma
Yeah, I'm not the only one making these! If you have thin deli meat you can also put a slice on it too. The pepper jack would certainly perk them up.

My younger son got hooked on pot pies. He puts it on a microwave safe plate face down and removes the tin. Then he microwaves it for about 3 minutes on medium power. It's funny how they turn out flat. But they are good for a quick bite.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma

kadesma
They say great minds run in the same channels. You posted yours while I was composing mine.