ISO snail ideas ... quickly!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XeniA

Sous Chef
... because our little kilo of same have proven to be surprisingly animated. Last night they got very excited with all the rain in Athens and started to crawl hither, thither, and yon. Out of the basket we'd plunked them in, down onto the table, down the table legs, and at least 25 of them all over the floor (we're talking balcony here, not living room -- fear not). Put that lively crowd into the "good eating" basket and started to babysit the others on 5-minutes shifts. Every time one got antsy enough to crawl out of the basket, he got categorized as tasty.

When bedtime came we put a couple of aerated plastic bags over the "think they're dead?" crowd and left them for the night. In the morning we had a number who'd escaped, including one on the ceiling. Food fun for everyone!

And the dog whose house was nearby was no help. A sheepdog. We clearly needed a snaildog ...:huh:

The point? Lots of lively snails soon to be eaten, but I'm looking for ideas. Personally I like the French approach, and hubby's fine with the Greek, but surely some of you fine people "do" snails and have some ideas??

I just use the snails as a vehicle for the butter/garlic sauce and an excuse to eat lots of wonderful bread.

Never made them at home.

Ayrton, I'm sorry, but the only way I "do" snails is the smash and stomp method. They eat my hostas.

I've tried the French method once just to say I tried, but what;s the Greek method?

I had them once in a soup in the german Mosel area at a great little diner.
Off the top of my head it was a creamy stock with a little garlic, lots of parsley and porcini. White wine found it's way into it too if I remember correctly. I don't have the recipe though :(

I had them once in a wonderful puff pastry. I wish I knew how to repeat that recipe. WONDERFUL!!! Butter and garlic is the only other way I've tried them and they've always been cooked by someone else. Good luck and happy eating!

can you get your hands on or make chinese black bean sauce?

snails in black bean sauce are delicious. cook them in their (scrubbed clean)shells in the sauce. if they're small, you can just suck them out. larger ones may require a seafood fork.

of course there's the ol' butter and parsley, garlic optional, with a puff pastry cap. if you don't have a snail dish, then you can double or triple them up in small ramekins for baking the puff pastry.

mudbug said:
... the only way I "do" snails is the smash and stomp method ...

:LOL: LOL mudbug, that's kinda the way I "do" them in the garden too. Just figure if I try to adapt that to the kitchen the bits of shell might be kinda gross ...:sick:

mudbug said:
... what;s the Greek method?

In a sweet tomato sauce with lots of onion -- sauteed is what I'm picturing, but I'm still learning (hubby will be taking over on this one; I just help chase them around the house).

Buckytom, I can get ahold of black beans yes, but with difficulty. Black bean sauce, not so sure -- is it make-able? I agree sounds good -- last thing I had in black bean sauce were scallops and I still drool thinking about them!

The butter/garlic/parsley variations already appeal to me, and while I hadn't heard of the puff pastry addition, I'm sure that wouldn't hurt (does it ever?).

Hades, the soup sounds yummy too. Wish you did have a recipe!

Sparrowgrass, see what we get up to over here once summer canning season's over?!

:) Escargot Provencal
Saute some butter with fresh garlic,sliced scallions,diced tomato add snails.Finish off with a splash of white wine and salt & pepper.
Serve with some fresh crusty french bread.

What Hades said. We had snail soup at a German castle from the vineyard snails. It lives in my memory as perhaps the single best thing I have EVER eaten!!!

lemon, butter, white wine, and thyme.....Toss some caviar into the sauce, too.

Use a good quality bread for toasting.

Back
Top Bottom