ISO Soft foods for no teeth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When shopping around for implants , be careful , and read the fine print ( and ask questions), just like you would with any major purchase.

A dental implant is just the component ( screw) that is being surgically placed in the bone. In addition ( depending on treatment plan) you will need some kind of additional components which attach to the implant and make it functional:

1) special attachments for a denture to snap on with
-or
2) abutment ( like a post) , and the crown itself

So I see many advertisements that quote a price for the Implant ($399 - $800) , but leave out the prices for the other components which without them, the implants are basically useless.

The abutment + crown could cost as much or more than the implant itself.

Thanks Larry! I already shot him down about implants. He either wears his dentures or goes without. I'm not paying out of pocket and we know it would be me, not Medicare paying for it. I make decent money, but not that decent.

I know people who have gone to Belize or similar for dental work. There are American certified dentists there, it costs much less and you can take a vacation at the same time. May be something to look into.

Whiska, I know what you're going through. As a young man, I had a habit of grinding my back teeth on one side. Over the years, this resulted in a host of health issues. The grinding caused periodontal disease and degenerative bone loss, and eventually the teeth on that side loosened and fell out.

For years I tried ignoring the problem and chewing on the other side. But I had a lot of pain where I had the missing teeth. I avoided going to the dentist because I was afraid of what the prognosis would be. Eventually, I couldn't stand it anymore and went to a dentist who prescribed partial dentures. I wore those for a few years. Hated it, though, because they never fit quite right.

Then, about 15 or so years ago, I moved across town and wanted to find a dentist that was closer to home. I had my first visit, and the doctor told me that even though I was missing quite a bit of bone in the affected area, I might still be a candidate for implants because they had good success with bone grafts.

After several visits, I decided to go through with the procedure. He removed the couple of teeth that were left on that side, then grafted in new "bone" tissue (made from cadavers... :ohmy:). I had to wait a few months for that to take. Once it healed, he put in the implant screws. Eventually, I had top and bottom bars installed with dental appliances (like partial dentures) that snap over the top. The entire process took something like 6 months to complete.

The result was nothing short of amazing. I can now easily chew on that side and it looks and feels like real teeth. No longer am I afraid to smile.

Now I won't tell you it was inexpensive. The entire process cost as much as a new car and, not being independently wealthy, I had to take out a loan to pay for it. But people who have known me for a long time say that I seem like a much happier person these days. The truth is, I've always been happy on the inside. But it wasn't until I got my new teeth that I was able to express it on the outside. The money was well worth it, in my opinion.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited:
$1300 EACH! Hell's teeth! Thank goodness for the National Health Service. We complain about it and we have to pay a portion of the cost but at least we don't have to take out a mortgage to pay for health care.

Don't lose heart though. I have fond memories as a little girl of my favourite uncle who wore dentures but took them out to eat. It fascinated me that he could eat anything with his gums including toast. Years of practice, I suppose.

I think the hot peppers may indeed be an age thing. I can't be doing with anything with chillis in it these days regardless of a mouthful of natural choppers.
They cover implants in GB? Wow!

Here in Quebec we have provincial health care, but dental only for kids 7 and younger.

I had once an abscess in my gum. I was told that I had to go to my dentist, since it was in my mouth. He looked at it and prescribed an antibiotic and salt water rinses. I was (am) really p.o.ed that I had to pay for that just because it was in my mouth.

I was wondering why this thread popped back up in my CP ... So sorry Whiska! How terrible. I hope you find a solution that works for you. Sending you positive thoughts and prayers.

Thanks for your supportive words and ideas. I think each one of your comments is valuable. I had no idea there is more than one of you who has/ had similar experiences. We are all so up beat around here . I was hesitant. It’s a good thing I asked. And the {hugs} feel good too. I never talk about it at home, because it’s either do something about it or don’t discuss. And since is slowly progressive, it is indeed time to cut bait and go fish.

Well I will have to do some reading about implants. Don’t know if this is possible in this instance. I sent off for copy of my previous dental xrays so my dentist can make a comparison. I suspect they will show a lot of change. I quit going to the dentist as all they wanted to do was pull teeth, and who needs that. They fall out quite readily on their own without external encouragement.

It’s not exactly “soup weather”. Still, I am off to the farmer’s market Saturday to look for veggies that will cook up nice and soft, and retain a semblance of flavor. And there’s cold borscht and blender whizzed gazpacho to consider. I am glad I like Mexican flavors, as a lot of dishes can be made softer to chew. I can’t really let stuff like this slow me down. :)

They cover implants in GB? Wow!

Here in Quebec we have provincial health care, but dental only for kids 7 and younger.

I had once an abscess in my gum. I was told that I had to go to my dentist, since it was in my mouth. He looked at it and prescribed an antibiotic and salt water rinses. I was (am) really p.o.ed that I had to pay for that just because it was in my mouth.
"They cover implants in GB?" -Not completely. If they use an NHS dentist, adults pay a capped proportion of the cost of dentistry (but not other medical treatment). Obviously cosmetic dentistry isn't covered but if there was a medical reason for implants, eg they were the only way that you could eat, the system would cough up. However, it is becoming difficult in some areas to find an NHS dentist so some people have to travel if they don't want/can't afford to go privately. I had a broken molar earlier this year and needed the root digging out. I've been going privately to my dentist (my choice) for 30 years. He gave me the option of paying £400 to have it done privately including sedation or I could have it done by another dentist in the practice, as a NHS patient, and pay a maximum of £150 but only have a local anaesthetic. A big difference but I'm a dental wimp so I went for the private treatment.

Children over here get free dental treatment up to the age of 18, or 19 if in full-time education. Adults get it free if they are pregnant or mother of a child under 12 months or under certain circumstances if they are long term patients in an NHS hospital or in receipt of certain types of Income Support payments.

As I say, we complain about the NHS but at least no-one dies because they can't afford medical treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my friends had pig bone implanted in her jaw, with a similar experience to what Steve had. She's been really pleased with the results. It took a long time, but well worth it.

Hope you get your smile back, Whiska!

I know people who have gone to Belize or similar for dental work. There are American certified dentists there, it costs much less and you can take a vacation at the same time. May be something to look into.

Ya know what, GG, you make a very good point. Mexico has excellent dentists, and they are 1/4 the price of US dentists.

I broke a couple teeth (needed a crown and lost a filling, something to do with popcorn) and had I planned in advance, I would have gotten the work done there. But I didn't want to give up the snorkeling time.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic

Belize?! Holy Moly. I remember when people from Erie would travel to North Carolina.
Which when you think about it... :ermm:
:LOL:

Off to see what brought back one of Angie's threads. They were never pleasant to read :shock:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/iso-soft-foods-for-no-teeth-39634-5.html#post1294071

Belize?! Holy Moly. I remember when people from Erie would travel to North Carolina.
Which when you think about it... :ermm:
:LOL:

Off to see what brought back one of Angie's threads. They were never pleasant to read :shock:

Huh? I'm lost here, Pac....

Off topic here, but scrolling back through this thread I noticed Uncle Bob's post on the first page. Like BT, we haven't heard from him in a while either. I wonder what they're up to, and if they're all right. I worry a bit about friends, even if I only know them from DC.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Off topic here, but scrolling back through this thread I noticed Uncle Bob's post on the first page. Like BT, we haven't heard from him in a while either. I wonder what they're up to, and if they're all right. I worry a bit about friends, even if I only know them from DC.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
+1 same here

Ya know what, GG, you make a very good point. Mexico has excellent dentists, and they are 1/4 the price of US dentists.

I broke a couple teeth (needed a crown and lost a filling, something to do with popcorn) and had I planned in advance, I would have gotten the work done there. But I didn't want to give up the snorkeling time.
My hairdresser had her teeth cosmetically sorted out while on holiday in Turkey and seems quite pleased with the result. She said it was very professional and a fraction of the price she would have paid at home

Back
Top Bottom