"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 11-03-2007, 11:16 AM   #21
I'm big on the eggs idea myself. He needs protein and its gross to suck up pureed meat thru a straw. Soft boiled eggs, scrambled, you name it and that can be your protein for a while.

Potatoes can be nice and mushy so those work for starches. Probably avoid rice for the first bit as it can get lodged in the pockets where the teeth were. Soft pastas will work though.

Tomato sauce on the pastas for a veggie, and he can likely manage mandarin orange slices nicely too. Any veggie that is roasted will likely be soft enough too.

Milkshakes are tough to drink at first because the suction often causes bleeding. Owie owie owie. They are great after a day or so though. Try just plain old yogurt at first. Lots of good nutrients in there.

Good luck!

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #22
Executive Chef
He shouldn't need to eat through a straw if he isn't bed ridden. He could eat the pureed food with a spoon. I'm not saying that it will make it more appetising but won't make him feel quite so bad about his situation.

Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #23
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
He shouldn't need to eat through a straw if he isn't bed ridden. He could eat the pureed food with a spoon. I'm not saying that it will make it more appetising but won't make him feel quite so bad about his situation.
Soft Polenta, also no sucking thrue a straw at first as it could suck out that very important blood clot protecting the raw nerves in the tooth sockets losing those before they heal will cause some really intense pain so he needs to swallow not suck ,cigarretes can also cause that problem so if you smoke try not to suck.Straws are a no no after pulling teeth
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:34 PM   #24
Master Chef
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Great post Charlie; guess you Rushyans? never heard of Italian Wedding Soup. If you ever get to NYC and if you are an ex-Rusky you might want to check out Brighton Beach in Brooklyn. They got some great food ingredients, and some interesting night clubs.

Me? Russian? No way. I am from Ukraine. No I never had Italian wedding soup. Maybe one of this days. Is it good? Should try to make one of this days.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:51 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Charlie, Italian Wedding Soup is delicious.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Iíve been putting this off. I need new teeth. Degenerative bone disease. I hate things that associate themselves as diseases. Makes me feel like its communicable and I should be in quarantine. Or perhaps I forgot deoderant this morning. I ainít no whiner. I am a guy and I do not take well to pain. I guess that makes me a whiner. I am also a slacker. Rationalizing my predicament today, I say , the last time I saved up for new teeth, my furnace needed an unplanned immediate replacement. In November. So thatís where the money in the coffee can under the mattress went, and itís taken several years to save up again. We enjoyed several vacations in the interim so the excuse is moot. Of course, today, I develop pain because 2 teeth, one upper L, one lower right want to play tennis volley serves across my tongue, and while the teeth are wiggly/wobbly, they are jutting on some nearby nerves. Hence, itís all a PITA going straight to my brain.

Truth be told, I never said this here. I have been having teeth drop out after short bursts of looseness and just some assoiciated pain which is relieved as the tooth falls out or I wiggle it around enough to pull it. I can see via dental xrays bone loss over time and essentially quit going to a dentist only for them to say, yep, we need to pull this one or that one. Luckily, I never developed any infections as the teeth got looser. I have always grown a beard/ mustache, so my mouth changes are not necessarily observable to others, unless you are presenting at an office meeting and a tooth spontaneously decides to expel itself while talking. I suppose itís like guys who do comb overs when they are bald, I just grow a bigger walrus across my upper lip. Learn to smile with your mouth shut and seldom offer the full happy grin you want to give. Over the last five years, I am down to 6 teeth.

Yes, I eat steak, corn on the cobs, I slice it off with a sharp kinife, Ribs, I cook until the ribs are so tender they fall off the bones. I used to like a little give to them, but hey, I guess a little irony & you get what it is in this instance. Are they is or are they isnít meant to be finger licking good. There is almost nothing I can not eat, or make do. I can up to this point, chew, but I no longer have teeth for cutting , hence a sharp knife and pre cut into very thin slices. Things that have dropped off over time, which I like, Most nuts, Hard salami, raw carrots, celery, pretzels, beef jerky, al dente is a term I avoid in cooking. Surprising things I would not think about until attempts. Cold Chicken (salad) spaghetti noodles unless chopped, fine teeth cutting and the noodles do not know when to stop, other pasta is just fine, pop corn Hulls, tomato skins, cucumber peels, the fat end of asparagus. I compensate, Rationalize? Soft pickles, so what if they didnít get crisp. Cut a burger into 6ths so it is bite size, rather than in half; Absolutely Mince jalapenos, raw onions, I forget what I suck the flavor out of, and not actually eat the food itself, Happy if a restaurant has Onion Strings/ guitar strings/ whatever rather than Rings to go w/ a burger; too crisp French fries, order the alternative fruit, well thereís a calorie savings unless itís pineapple. probably quite a few things. Plain M&Mís and guacamole are still pretty much good. One of my favorite summer salads is taco salad, now minus the crisp tortilla. Soft shell tacos, well I like those anyway. I eat more salads without adding lettuce this summer. Sometimes lettuce works and sometimes not, whether crisp or soft such as spinach or butter lettuce. I never know, So I mostly make a salad w/o. In Sept I need to plant a 2nd crop of arugula. That always works.

IF one has an allergy, one should know what to eat or not. I Neffer know if I might be able to eat some things today or not.

THE WORST IS I Seldom can eat BACON. Certainly not crisp, and sometimes not floppy bacons either. ARGHHH. I made a BLT the other day. Sometimes you just gotta suffer thru and then I had some Ice Cream to sooth my gums after. Double scooped. Toot Sweet.

There are several DC threads about eating / soft diets. Iím not exactly looking for food advice. Of course, this is much appreciated too.

What bothers me is Ė IS THERE really a 6 week wait to heal before they fit you with new teeth. That is, if I have the few remaining teeth pulled. The two teeth playing mumbly peg in my mouth will re-adjust in a day or two. ( I hope.) The soonest appt I could get with my dentist about new teeth is a month from now. This could be a bit of a stretch.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
I'm sorry you're having to go through this, Whiska. I had to have my jaw wired shut for 6 weeks after breaking it in a car accident. It really does take a long time for bone to heal. I also had a broken tooth removed last winter and had to wait a few months before we could work on replacing it.

Is there a temporary appliance they might be able to put in till your jaw heals?
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Oh, Whiska, so sorry. Can you consider dental implants? Breaks my heart when a true foodie can't eat

I know we have others here who have similar difficulties, Princess Fiona will have some good advice.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
(((Hugs Whiska))) and good luck with dentist, etc.
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #30
Head Chef
Can do an " Immediate Denture" which is placed at the same time the teeth are extracted. But would need to be relined a few months down the road when the healing has completed. Immediates are ok, cause it allows you not to go around without teeth, but rarely fit well, and in many cases, are not as functional as the final set of dentures ( which ideally a person would get about 6 months after the extractions).

Unfortunately, in most circumstances, the denture provides a fraction of the chewing ability as natural teeth ( or implants). Although some people adapt much better than others.

Also, the dentures could affect the way things taste and amount of saliva produced.

Dental Implants are as close to having your natural teeth back, but come with a heavy price and a long wait. In addition, must have decent bone and no major health issues.

Mini Implants are another option, typically 4 mini's on the bottom which support a full lower denture ( they snap on) and 6 mini's on top ( snap on, and sometimes allow for the palate to be removed from the denture). But like conventional implants, no major medical issues and need bone.

Although after 4 -6 weeks it looks like the gums/ bone has healed ( which would allow for more accurate impression, and therefore, more accurate fitting dentures, it could take 6 months to a year for the bone to fill up the sockets of the recently extracted teeth. Also, bone in everyone is constantly changing, so relines will usually need to be performed from time to time.

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote