ISO something to do with cardamom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poppinfresh

Senior Cook
Freddy's had all their spices 75% off this past week. So I bought every spice I was low on, would be low on, or hadn't used before. The only one I got that I don't know anything about is cardamom.

I've never bought it before since it's expensive (usually), and haven't really come across any recipes that use it. I've done a little research on it and saw that it's mostly used in Indian cuisine....I'm not really on an Indian kick right now.

Anyone have some really cool ideas what to do with it using more traditional food products?

I am pretty sure there is a recipe for a cake or biscuits that uses cardamom pods. I'll have a look.

Cardomom is usually paired with cumin in Indian cuisine, so you could always just try adding it to a meat or vegetable dish. Just keep the dish simple so you can get a better fix on the flavours of the spices. It isn't one of my favourite flavours I have to admit.

A couple of years ago I had sweet potatoes with cardamom at Thanksgiving. As I was a guest I have no recipe.

It gave the sweet potatoes a very distinctive flavor which you may/may not appreciate.

Have fun experimenting.

Could always just boil your rice with a few cardamom seeds. Gives the rice a nice flavor (cloves work well too).

before anyone thinks I`ve finally lost my mind, I urge you Try this before deciding.

you`ll need a coffee grinder full of the recommended amount of coffee beans, add a pod of cardamon, a pinch of rock salt, and a pinch of Coco powder (the bitter sort).
and then grind as normal and make your coffee exactly as you would normally.

it Honestly tastes Great and is even better done in a pot over a campfire.

Cardomon is great in a lemon cake, would love to try it in a lime cake. I believe my tickinering with this stemmed froem a recipe for Swedish cardomon cake.

I have it crushed to infuse a cup of milk, sometimes with honey, as a bedtime drink. I've done that in hot chocolate too. Its also lovely in rice pudding.

I've not tried this, but it looks delicious....Simply Recipes: Cardamom Honey Chicken Recipe

Do not be put off by its prevalace in Indidian cuisine, it is versitile and as good in other uses as it is in curries. It is a subtle and delightful taste which infses the food with a delectable fragrant quality.

Ooh, I missed YTs suggestion, I have had this coffee and yes, it is superb!

Cardamom is used heavily in Indian desserts. You may not be an afficinado of Indian desserts, but there are numerous other ways you can use cardamom if you like the taste of it. It has almost a minty, earthy taste to it and to me it's not as pungent as cinnamon (again maybe it's my taste buds but to me it's more subtle and refined taste)

First: Cardamom should never be ground ahead of time and kept for long periods. It is best ground fresh right before use

I like to put a tsp of cardamom with my coffee. I add it to my coffe filter along with ground coffee and as the coffee brews it gets a hint of cardamom taste which is really different but again knockout flavor especially when I have guests over and they keep guessing what's that subtle flavor in the coffee

I also like to add it to my apple crisp along with cinnamon in the topping that I prepare. The taste is subtle and adds an extra dimension to the dish

I also add it to my sweet potatoe casserole topping. I make this every year during Thanksgiving (including this) and I always use cardamom instead of cinnamon. Sweet Potatoes and cardamom marry extremely well together. Give it a try

You can use it in rice (the entire pod). Add some butter and when it's hot temper with whole cumin seeds and whole cardamom pods. They will get larger and the butter will be filled with the cumin and cardamom aroma. You can then add you washed rice and cook it. It will be rather aromatic

In India we use cardamom in almost all desserts we make - Kheer which is our rice pudding, kulfi (our version of gelato), gulab jamun (similar to super rich donuts) and all types of halwa and burfis.

There are a lot of swedish recipes that also use cardamom in baking things like cookies and coffee cakes.

apparently it`s also good in Tea too. the Indians call it "Ilichi wala chah" at least that`s what it sounds like, and basically it means "Cardamon with Tea" or thereabouts. feel free to correct me if I`m too far off the mark.

Hi YT yes how can I forget Chai but apparently I did because I dont drink chai much.

Anyway yes Indian chai (tea made with lots of milk) uses cardamom as it's main ingredient. I actually grind mine fresh when I have guests and it's what all Indian's expect when they visit anyone. You can eliminate ginger, mint etc but have to have cardamom in it .

Chai is the quintessential drink in India and amongst Indians even outside of India. A lot of conversations and snacks are consumed during chai time ;)

I love cardamon. I have my mom's old recipe for cardamon currant quick bread that's Swedish in origin. The Swedes and Danes use it in many of their sweet dough recipes. I always put it my Swedish tea ring.
Then I use it lots in my Indian cooking. They use it more in their savory recips rather than sweet recipes.

You can use it to make Hot chocolate drinks. Just add a pinch of cardamom and nutmeg for a rich, nutty flavor.

before anyone thinks I`ve finally lost my mind, I urge you Try this before decid

you`ll need a coffee grinder full of the recommended amount of coffee beans, add a pod of cardamon, a pinch of rock salt, and a pinch of Coco powder (the bitter sort).
and then grind as normal and make your coffee exactly as you would normally.

i love espresso and we have cardamon so will try this mmmmm

As for what to do with cardamon, i made a recipe from the show "Food Safari", i can't access it at work unfortunately, but can tell u how to get there. My bf LOVEDDDDD them, they are an indian sweet with coconut.

In google search for "food safari indian" it will let you link to the Food Safari page via SBS's website. Just search for the Indian sweet from Season 1 and u have a really quick sweets recipe with Cardamon. Sorry I couldn't help more, will try and post the link when i am at home. I think they even show videos on each recipe or some of them at least.

I made a chicken dish - using cardamom pods - called Saleeg. Really nice. i found the recipe on allrecipes.com. My sister also uses it in her pumpkin pie.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up doing a few things with it (cookies, bread, some sort of funky Indian dish).

Ultimately, I've come to the conclusion that it's alright as a spice, but I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep or break out in tears if I discovered my spice cabinet didn't have any in it. And certainly not for what it costs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom