ISO Soylent Green recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The noisy neighbors next door. Oh! NOT people, oops.
Their noisy truck, then.
Purrs,
Joyce

Not really sure I understand the question. That would be like asking, if you were going to make chicken, but without using chicken, what ingredients would you use? It just does not make any sense.

Well what I meant was a recipe to make something that looked like Soylent Green, perhaps even tasted like Soylent Green, but was suitable for vegetarians! It would be a great thing to sell to raise awareness of the rising population and global food shortage, but really I just wanted a fun and creative thread. :)

Yaaaaaaaagggh! Then I guess that would be the main ingredient? LOL!
Purrs,
Joyce

Hmmmm. Let me think. I know from personal experience that human skin is somewhat acidic and so has a sour componant (ever hit you thumb with a hammer and stick it in your mouth?:LOL:). Other than that, we eat foods similar to what pigs and bears eat, and have muscle tissue much like most other mammals. Extrapolating from that information, I'd say we would taste much like bear, or pork, but with a bit of white vinager added to the mix. We'd be tasty with sweet & sour sauce.:ROFLMAO:

Being able to extrapolate is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

So, for a veggie version;
Grind up a combination of gluten and soy TVP, add soy sauce and ground portabella mushrooms. Mix in garlic and onion, along with shredded carrot and some salt, with a bit of white vinager. Add lots of shredded spinach. Add unflavored gelatine. Throw all into a blender, with enough water to make it move, and blend until a smooth emulsion is formed. Pump into non-animal sausage casings. Simmer until cooked through (about 170 degree F. internal temp.)

That should do it. Vary the ingredient amounts to your taste and sell as Soylent green, after obtaining permission from the auther as to avoid copywite infringement.

Now how's that for an honest shot at creating a recipe?;)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I think I would start placing garbanzo beans, spinach, garlic, salt, eggs, bread crumbs or crushed saltines, sesame seeds into a food processor. Churn into a thick paste and form into patties.

Take spinach wraps and bake until crispy. Run those through the processor making green crumbs. Coat the patties with the crumbs and pan fry.

Might be good, might be terrible....:ROFLMAO:

humans are supposed to taste like pigs, aka "long pig" to cannibals, so i don't think that vegetarian is the way to go.

i'd go with ground pork, and add the herbs and spices of the common ingredients to the nationality of the person, er, meat.

Wasn't it green? I seem to remember green squares coming down the conveyour belt. It reminds me of the nori we use to wrap sushi in.

there were more than one variety of "Soylents" in the movie.
Only the Green flavor was human!

So for my Soylent Red, I would include the essence of red algae, with a
light seasoning of salt, vitamins and minerals and a bit of sugar. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom