ISO spaetzle recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The OutDoor Chef

Washing Up
Does anyone have a descent Stredel recipe?

It's a German Dough that you use to sop up the juices from beef / pork / what ever?

Please don't send me to All recipes, they are a joke site and some of the recipes on the site are really bland in flavor.

I'm not sure you mean strudel. What it sounds like you're describing is spaetzle, which is a dough-like side dish that is eaten as you describe.
Thank you everyone.

Katie, Yes that's it Lidia from Lidia's Italy was making it today on the cooking channel. And I love German food.

Glad I could help. I was pretty certain spaetzle was what you had in mind. I'm sure what Lydia prepared was delicious. I love spaetzle and make it, not as often as I should. I forget about it and usually only make it in the colder months and serve with German/Bavarian dishes.

There is a special kitchen implement and technique for making spaetzel. But, you can also use yor imagination and come up with other ways to get the batter streaming in your broth...

Yes, a very large-holed strainer/colander will work in place of a spaetzle maker. Also the large holes in the sides of a box grater work, but you have to be extra careful that you don't add some of yourself to the spaetzle.:ohmy:

I had two recipes, and it seems the one I like the most is from Joy of Cooking. I really don't remember what was wrong with the one that came with the little grater thingie I bought. I think that all the measurements were metric, which in and of itself would be a problem, but also that it was too dry. The "Joy" recipe was much closer to what husband remembered his mom making and what I remembered as a child living in Germany. Almost fluffy rather than like paste pellots.

I had two recipes, and it seems the one I like the most is from Joy of Cooking. I really don't remember what was wrong with the one that came with the little grater thingie I bought. I think that all the measurements were metric, which in and of itself would be a problem, but also that it was too dry. The "Joy" recipe was much closer to what husband remembered his mom making and what I remembered as a child living in Germany. Almost fluffy rather than like paste pellots.
My brother in law was over in Germany for a few years serving with the Canadian Military. He and my sister exposed me to the joys of spaetzel. I was lucky enough to come across a never used, spaetzel maker, at a church yard sale. I love it. Thanks to this thread, I will dig it out and make it again soon.
And, The Joy Of Cooking recipe it will be.

Last edited:
When I lived in Germany, we had one of those tools...wish I'd thought to bring one home. I roll my dough out and cut it into almond size pieces. We usually added it to soups...

my 'std' recipe
350 grams / 12.35 ounces by weight AP flour
1 cup water with 3 large eggs beaten into water
heavy pinch of salt

here's the best tool I've found for the job - lost count of how many I bought&tossed...

Attachments

• spplate3.jpg
    spplate3.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 185
I make this from time to time. I bought a spaetzle maker at a kitchen store for less than $10. It may have been in the kitchen section of a Home Goods or Marshall's. The batter is fairly loose so it'll flow through the holes.

Spaetzle

2 Egg Yolks
½ Egg
C Milk
½ Lb Flour
Pinch Nutmeg
½ tsp Salt
Pinch Black Pepper
½ C Oil
TT Salt & Pepper
4 Tb Unsalted Butter
1 Tb Parsley, minced

In a small bowl, beat together the egg yolks, egg and milk.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.

Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix by hand until well blended. Do not over mix at this stage. Cover the bowl and refrigerate. Allow the batter to rest for at least 1 hour.

Bring salted water to a boil. Place a spaetzle maker on top of the pot. Place the batter into the spaetzle maker and form the spaetzle. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until al dente.

Transfer cooked spaetzle to a bowl of ice water to shock. When cool to the touch, drain well. Stir in half the oil. (At this point you can cover and refrigerate up to 2 days).

Heat a sauté pan over high heat. Add the remaining ¼ cup of oil and the boiled spaetzle. Sauté until golden.

Season to taste with salt and pepper. Finish with butter and sprinkle with parsley.

my 'std' recipe
heavy pinch of salt

here's the best tool I've found for the job - lost count of how many I bought&tossed...
I've had good luck with Kuechenprofi products. I think about one half your recipe should be adequate for 2 people.

I've had good luck with Kuechenprofi products. I think about one half your recipe should be adequate for 2 people.
for two, yes - no quibble with that (g)

I make the full batch, spread out the left over on a flat pan, freeze, break up the clumps and (freezer) store in a plastic bag. I like mine 're-fried' so the bag makes a convenient 'how much you want?' approach.....

my 'std' recipe
heavy pinch of salt

Yep, dcSaute, this is the same one I use and the wording on the box just cracks me up every time I use it.:LOL::LOL:

I don't know the language, but I'd be interested in knowing what it really says.

>>wording on the box

well, most of it is just the usual marketing hype. if there's something specific, let me know. stainless steel (Edel...) rustfree (rostfrei...) etc

the Spaetzle-Axx label is a bit more convoluted. just as US has 'abbreviations' - written or verbal - for things, so do the Germans.

for USA a "pro" is a professional. in German, it's a "profi"
USA it's been a "cell phone" - in Germany/Europe it started as "Handy" and currently mostly called a "Mobile"

the -Axx is shorthand for "assistant" - but yeah, does set the English speaker back, eh?

Hmmm. It seems to me that I ad pinch (and I do mean only a pinch, not even a quarter tsp) of baking powder to lighten it all. It isn't any any recipes, I don't think. Remember, I only make this once a year or so.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom