ISO Starting a rum pot recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimi

Assistant Cook
A number of years ago I was given a starter "rum pot" which was non-alcoholic. Every two weeks you added fruit and sugar. The first week was a cup of cherries, 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of cherry juice, two weeks later you added 1 cup of pineapple and 1 cup of sugar and two weeks after that you added 1 cup sliced peaches and 1 cup of sugar. Adding fruit followed the same order over the years. This mixture was in a glass jar with a loose fitting lid. You could never let the mixture get under 3 cups. I would like to know how to start the "rum pot" from scratch as I no longer have my original mixture. Does any one know how to start this? The mixture was used to make what was called a Rum Pot cake.

Hi and Welcome to DC! :)
I have never heard of a Rum Pot before you mentioned so i can't help you but I'm sure someone will come along!

Well, Grandma was German and had a jar of Rumtopf (rum pot) every Christmas ... but only the adults got to eat it. I know Grandma would have never used rum or Brandy ... she would have never allowed it in the house. Now, I might be totally wrong - but doesn't the fruit naturally ferment over time even without added rum or brandy???

Anyway - here are some recipes that might help you get started:

rumtopf

non-alcoholic rumtopf

rum pot

non-alcoholic rum pot

Last edited:
A number of years ago I was given a starter "rum pot" which was non-alcoholic. Every two weeks you added fruit and sugar. The first week was a cup of cherries, 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of cherry juice, two weeks later you added 1 cup of pineapple and 1 cup of sugar and two weeks after that you added 1 cup sliced peaches and 1 cup of sugar. Adding fruit followed the same order over the years. This mixture was in a glass jar with a loose fitting lid. You could never let the mixture get under 3 cups. I would like to know how to start the "rum pot" from scratch as I no longer have my original mixture. Does any one know how to start this? The mixture was used to make what was called a Rum Pot cake.

Hi Kimi, welcome! Are you going to make a cake with it? Do you have a recipe for the cake. I'm really interested in this - I need to boost my German menu a bit.

Thanks Michael for the starting links to this idea.

that looks interesting, so u just keep adding fresh fruit to the old stuff?

Kimi, thanks for reminding me about Rumtoph! Its years since I had one and as summer is nearly upon us here, and berries will be plentiful ( and cheaper) I will have one ready for Christmas.:chef:

Thanks!!

Yes, you just keep adding fruit (every two weeks if needed) but I had gone as long as months before adding additional fruit. Depended on how often I made the cakes. I truly do not like fruit cake but this is somethingdifferent and has a wonderful flavor. I don't have the cake receipe in front of me but you use a boxed cake mix, and a pudding mix and the usual and about a cup or cup and a half of the fuit mix. It's awesome. I was fortunate enough to get a starter recipe for the rum pot last night so I am going to try it out and see how it goes.

So you can't just like eat the fruit with icecream or anything? it has to go in a cake?
im thinking bout this, sounds good lol
we have tried to make cherries in grappa before, my godfather made the best ones.

Oh this is sounding really good! thanks for that!
Its summer in a week...bring on the ice cream lol

I looked at a recipe from the link Michael posted before it said an airtight container, but kimi u said it was loose fitting. Does it matter?

I've always used a loose-fitting lid. The fermentation process causes gas to form and it needs some means to escape, if only slightly. I would guess that a tight-fitting lid would pop/blow off in time. I usually use a big old glass apothecary-type jar. That's always worked very well for me. I've kept the mixture around for years with no problem. However, gotta be careful where you store it. It's so full of sugar, ants LOVE IT. Just a word of caution along those lines.

My recipe is a bit different from those I've seen posted. I'll post it tomorrow. It's beddy-bye time here in the Heartland of the USA. I'll turn into a pumpkin if I don't get to bed soon.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom