"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
Sous Chef

ISO substitute for Light Corn Syrup

Yes, Any ideas would be appreciated as I cannot find it here. Could Maple syrup be a substitute for example. I can get Sirop d'Agave if that helps.
Thanks Guys

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
Master Chef

I would use the agave syrup as it has a more neutral flavor than does maple syrup. Of course, it depends what recipe you're using the syrup in. for instance, pecan pie made with maple instead of corn syrup is simply wonderful. But I wouldn't use it to sweeten, say, cherry compote.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Thanks Chief,
It's actually for a gingerbread with stout ( Guinness) recipe but I have come across this conundrum before and want to knock it on the head once and for all

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I've had Agave syrup on Torrejas in Cuba. (cuban version of French Toast) and man oh man is it ever sweet. You should probably use less than an equal amount of corn syrup. This may help.
Tips for Substituting Agave in Baked Goods | The Kitchn
Old 01-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
Master Chef

Using real maple syrup as a sub for corn syrup would be REALLLLLY expensive not to mention very different in flavor.

Corn syrup is very neutral
Old 01-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Corn syrup does something chemically in some recipes and I'm not sure exactly what, maybe to do with how it does or does not crystallize. Imitation maple syrup is usually flavored cane syrup and would work if the maple flavor is OK for the recipe. Ginger bread might be one of those recipes. And I think it would depend on how much syrup is called for in the recipe if the maple flavor has much impact on taste. You could probably make up a substitute with water and sugar if you want no distinct flavor.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
Corn syrup does something chemically in some recipes and I'm not sure exactly what, maybe to do with how it does or does not crystallize. Imitation maple syrup is usually flavored cane syrup and would work if the maple flavor is OK for the recipe. Ginger bread might be one of those recipes. And I think it would depend on how much syrup is called for in the recipe if the maple flavor has much impact on taste. You could probably make up a substitute with water and sugar if you want no distinct flavor.

I think you are right about the corn syrup being needed for some recipes, but Ic an't recall why ...

Artificial maple syrup is flavored corn syrup. Real cane syrup like Steens is pricey and can be hard to find.

Since its for gingerbread, honey might work.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Some fudge recipes call for corn syrup and I'm pretty sure they don't work with substitutes. I seem to remember reading that it helped prevent crystallization.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #9
Head Chef

<LI class=b_algo>Homemade Corn Syrup Substitute Simple Syrup ) Recipe ...

www.food.com › Recipes
  • Rating: 5/5 ·
  • 33 reviews ·
  • 20 mins ·
  • 774.9 cal
Oct 28, 2003 · Posted by request. Times are estimates. ... NOTE: for those who think this is healthier than high fructose corn syrup.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
The type of sugar in corn syrup, fructose, remains suspended in the syrup solution, whereas cane and beat sugars to indeed crystallize. Corn syrup will allow products like ice cream, fudge, and soft candies to remain creamy and smooth. Fudge made simply with cane and beet sugar are grainy in texture. This effect shouldn't be a problem in cookies.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corn, corn syrup, substitute, syrup