ISO substitute for Light Corn Syrup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menumaker

Sous Chef
Yes, Any ideas would be appreciated as I cannot find it here. Could Maple syrup be a substitute for example. I can get Sirop d'Agave if that helps.
Thanks Guys ;)

I would use the agave syrup as it has a more neutral flavor than does maple syrup. Of course, it depends what recipe you're using the syrup in. for instance, pecan pie made with maple instead of corn syrup is simply wonderful. But I wouldn't use it to sweeten, say, cherry compote.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks Chief,
It's actually for a gingerbread with stout ( Guinness) recipe but I have come across this conundrum before and want to knock it on the head once and for all

Using real maple syrup as a sub for corn syrup would be REALLLLLY expensive not to mention very different in flavor.

Corn syrup is very neutral

Corn syrup does something chemically in some recipes and I'm not sure exactly what, maybe to do with how it does or does not crystallize. Imitation maple syrup is usually flavored cane syrup and would work if the maple flavor is OK for the recipe. Ginger bread might be one of those recipes. And I think it would depend on how much syrup is called for in the recipe if the maple flavor has much impact on taste. You could probably make up a substitute with water and sugar if you want no distinct flavor.

Corn syrup does something chemically in some recipes and I'm not sure exactly what, maybe to do with how it does or does not crystallize. Imitation maple syrup is usually flavored cane syrup and would work if the maple flavor is OK for the recipe. Ginger bread might be one of those recipes. And I think it would depend on how much syrup is called for in the recipe if the maple flavor has much impact on taste. You could probably make up a substitute with water and sugar if you want no distinct flavor.

I think you are right about the corn syrup being needed for some recipes, but Ic an't recall why ...

Artificial maple syrup is flavored corn syrup. Real cane syrup like Steens is pricey and can be hard to find.

Since its for gingerbread, honey might work.

Some fudge recipes call for corn syrup and I'm pretty sure they don't work with substitutes. I seem to remember reading that it helped prevent crystallization.

The type of sugar in corn syrup, fructose, remains suspended in the syrup solution, whereas cane and beat sugars to indeed crystallize. Corn syrup will allow products like ice cream, fudge, and soft candies to remain creamy and smooth. Fudge made simply with cane and beet sugar are grainy in texture. This effect shouldn't be a problem in cookies.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

>>corn syrup

go ye forth and think.
so okay, "thinking is an unusual thing" for the 128 character Tweeter crowd, but cooking does not fit into a Tweet.

sugar has a number of variant "forms" - sucrose, dextrose, glucose, and a whole host of "sub-classifications"

if you're working in areas where such differences matter, you need a serious educational bout of "what the h#ll is sugar?"

you can of course ignore the issue.

a willful ignorance will actually not change "the facts" but will like only result in:

"nuts, I did this, according to that, but it didn't work."

The type of sugar in corn syrup, fructose, remains suspended in the syrup solution, whereas cane and beat sugars to indeed crystallize. Corn syrup will allow products like ice cream, fudge, and soft candies to remain creamy and smooth. Fudge made simply with cane and beet sugar are grainy in texture. This effect shouldn't be a problem in cookies.

Fudge made with beat or cane sugar can be smooth and creamy. It's just tricky. I have made fudge with cocoa, sugar, and butter that was lovely. But, if I'm not really careful, it does sometimes crystallize.

Fudge made with beat or cane sugar can be smooth and creamy. It's just tricky. I have made fudge with cocoa, sugar, and butter that was lovely. But, if I'm not really careful, it does sometimes crystallize.

Tis true, good fudge can be made with cane and beet sugar. It does take more care in the making. The sides of the pan must be scraped into the syrup frequently. All sugars must be dissolved before the syrup, fat, and flavor is added. If there is any crystallized sugar (undissolved sugar, such as the dried sugar from the pan sides), it will act as a seed for sugar to continue crystallizing. Then, you have grainy fudge, candy, or whatever sweet confection you are making.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thank you everyone for your help. I think I can take it from here now and I'll let you know how I get on. I'm glad I ran it past you all. ;)

Corn syrup, molasses, or honey in cookies is a great addition, keeps them soft and fresh tasting for days!

Yes, Any ideas would be appreciated as I cannot find it here. Could Maple syrup be a substitute for example. I can get Sirop d'Agave if that helps.
Thanks Guys ;)
Can't help at the moment but IIRC you are originally British so, for future reference, "Kallo" light and dark corn syrups are now available in Tesco in the UK. Not sure if this helps.

Back
Top Bottom