"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-15-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
Sous Chef
 
SurvivorGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada Eh! {Muahaha! ;)}
Posts: 861
ISO substitute for mirin

I want to make sushi tonight, but I don't have any mirin (you put it on the rice apparently). does anyone know a sub?
I've heard of white wine and a little sugar, would this work? if not, got any ideas?
thx all!!

__________________

__________________
It's laisez-faire, I don't even give a care.
Let's make Friday part of the weekend and give every new baby a chocolate eclair.

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
ironchef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The SPAM eating capital of the world.
Posts: 3,558
What recipe are you using? Mirin is not used in normal sushi rice.
__________________

__________________
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
Head Chef
 
Caine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: CHINATOWN
Posts: 2,314
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Mirin is a sweetened rice wine, so yes, that would work. Only thing is, unless you've had mirin before, how would you know how much sugar to put in?

Tell you what. You can use sweet sherry if you have it, or you can use dry sherry or white wine, adding 1/2 the amount of sugar or clear corn syrup (i.e. add 1/2 cup sugar or corn syrup to 1 cup wine).
__________________
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
1 tbsp of vinegar and one of sugar (dissolved in the vinegar) for 2 cups of sushi rice works. You have to paddle (stir!) this solution into the rice.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
Sous Chef
 
SurvivorGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada Eh! {Muahaha! ;)}
Posts: 861
Recipes : Vegetable Sushi : Food Network
this was the one that I was going to follow (loosely or whatever)
don't have any sherry on hand, so may just try the white wine and sugar idea.
__________________
It's laisez-faire, I don't even give a care.
Let's make Friday part of the weekend and give every new baby a chocolate eclair.

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
Sous Chef
 
SurvivorGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada Eh! {Muahaha! ;)}
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
1 tbsp of vinegar and one of sugar (dissolved in the vinegar) for 2 cups of sushi rice works. You have to paddle (stir!) this solution into the rice.
I may try this instead of the wine...thx!!
__________________
It's laisez-faire, I don't even give a care.
Let's make Friday part of the weekend and give every new baby a chocolate eclair.

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
ironchef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The SPAM eating capital of the world.
Posts: 3,558
I thought about it, and your recipe is probably calling for mirin in place of the sugar and rice vinegar. You realize that if you use white wine or something else the taste of the sushi rice is going to be off right? And mirin is much sweeter than the rice vinegar/sugar that you add to the rice to mix. Just get the rice vinegar. If you try and sub it for white wine it's not going to taste like sushi.
__________________
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:53 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
ironchef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The SPAM eating capital of the world.
Posts: 3,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivorGirl
Recipes : Vegetable Sushi : Food Network
this was the one that I was going to follow (loosely or whatever)
don't have any sherry on hand, so may just try the white wine and sugar idea.
Ah, it's a vegetable maki sushi, and not even a correct one at that. Why am I not surprised it's by Ina Garten. In the case of this particular recipe, go ahead and use the white wine or whatever you want. It won't make a difference because the recipe does not call for traditional sushi rice anyway.
__________________
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
Sous Chef
 
SurvivorGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada Eh! {Muahaha! ;)}
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
I thought about it, and your recipe is probably calling for mirin in place of the sugar and rice vinegar. You realize that if you use white wine or something else the taste of the sushi rice is going to be off right? And mirin is much sweeter than the rice vinegar/sugar that you add to the rice to mix. Just get the rice vinegar. If you try and sub it for white wine it's not going to taste like sushi.
what's odd is in the show she used rice wine vinigar instead of mirin so I'm just going to use rice wine vinagar afterall.
thx for the advice and whatnot!
__________________
It's laisez-faire, I don't even give a care.
Let's make Friday part of the weekend and give every new baby a chocolate eclair.

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
Sous Chef
 
SurvivorGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada Eh! {Muahaha! ;)}
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Ah, it's a vegetable maki sushi, and not even a correct one at that. Why am I not surprised it's by Ina Garten. In the case of this particular recipe, go ahead and use the white wine or whatever you want. It won't make a difference because the recipe does not call for traditional sushi rice anyway.
it's ok if it's not traditional (for me). I really just want to try the method of making it. hopefully the flavour will work.
__________________

__________________
It's laisez-faire, I don't even give a care.
Let's make Friday part of the weekend and give every new baby a chocolate eclair.

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.