ISO: Tomatillo recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone out there have recipes using the Tomatillo? I have eaten them in the green salsa, but I wondered what else you could put them in. I bought 4 of them the other day and added them to my cerviche.
:huh:

Fast Pork & Tomatillo Stew

Tomatillos are a basic ingredient in chile verde. Here's a very simple and delicious recipe:

1 pound lean pork, cut in 1-inch chunks
2 tablespoons olive oil
water
1/2 pound tomatillos
2 jalapeno chiles, minced (remove seeds if you're a wimp)
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
Cilantro sprigs
Tortillas or cooked rice

Cook pork in olive oil and 1/4 cup water uncovered over medium heat until tender, about 30 minutes.

While pork is cooking, remove papery skins from tomatillos. Cut in quarters, place in saucepan, add enough water to cover, and bring to boil. Cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Cool and drain.

Combine cooked tomatillos, jalapeno, onion, garlic, and lime juice in food processor or blender and pulse on and off until combined. Add chopped cilantro. Pulse again until just combined. Season to taste with salt.

When pork is cooked through and tender, drain any remaining water. Add tomatillo mixture and bring to boil. Add back beans and simmer to blend flavors, about 3 minutes.

Garnish with cilantro sprigs. Serve with tortillas or over rice.

When I make cheese or chicken enchilladas for my family I make two sauces a red for them and a green for me and for my son-in-law. I love that slight tartness and tang of the tomatillos. Here is the sauce, it is good over chiles rellenos,as well and I even use a little in my tacos...
You will need:
2-cans of tomatillos (14 oz, each)
1- 7-oz. can diced green chiles, mild or hot your choice
1/3-c. veggie oil
2-med. white onions, chopped
1-c. chicken broth
3-Tab. fresh lime juice
2-tea. dry oregano
1-tea. cumin
salt to taste
cikantro for garnish
Heat oil in a 4 qt. pan over med-high heat. Add onion and cook til soft. Add chiles, tomatillos,chicken broth, lime juice, oregano and cumin. stir well, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered stirring occasionally for about 25 min. Whirl in f/p til smooth then season with salt to taste, pour over you food of choice, heat, top with sour cream and chopped cilantro and enjoy.
kadesma :)

Thanks for the recipes. I'm going to try them. I love chicken enchiladas which here in South TX we make with green sauce. The Pork Stew sounds wonderful, and btw, jalepenos, cilantro & lime are must have items here.

FryBoy said:
Tomatillos are a basic ingredient in chile verde. Here's a very simple and delicious recipe:

1 pound lean pork, cut in 1-inch chunks
2 tablespoons olive oil
water
1/2 pound tomatillos
2 jalapeno chiles, minced (remove seeds if you're a wimp)
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
Cilantro sprigs
Tortillas or cooked rice

Cook pork in olive oil and 1/4 cup water uncovered over medium heat until tender, about 30 minutes.

While pork is cooking, remove papery skins from tomatillos. Cut in quarters, place in saucepan, add enough water to cover, and bring to boil. Cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Cool and drain.

Combine cooked tomatillos, jalapeno, onion, garlic, and lime juice in food processor or blender and pulse on and off until combined. Add chopped cilantro. Pulse again until just combined. Season to taste with salt.

When pork is cooked through and tender, drain any remaining water. Add tomatillo mixture and bring to boil. Add back beans and simmer to blend flavors, about 3 minutes.

Garnish with cilantro sprigs. Serve with tortillas or over rice.

I pretty much do the same thing except I add diced potatoes with the pork.

I'll have to try the black beans in the verde instead of on the side.

I'd also like to add, try different cuts of pork. The recipe that fryboy has here is perfect for pork tenderloin. I have a recipe on my website where I use pork tri tip, but don't be afraid to buy those "boneless pork ribs" when they are on sale for like $1.50 per lb.

Back
Top Bottom