"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Wouldn't any good vegetarian cook book serve the purpose? It seems confusing that the recipe collection should be "English upper classes, both of the nursery/public school and the French cook varieties" ... vegetarian. Our Amazon shows thousands of vegetarian cookbooks available and most of our natural foods stores have fliers they hand out for free with recipes. A quick Google search for "Easy vegetarian recipes" brings up a good variety. I think it's great that you want to share the household chores load.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I assumed that you were doing research for an essay or something.

There are lots of books in English around on modern vegetarian cooking. I'm not veggie but others here are and might be able to suggest a few. India has a lot of vegetarians so why not look in that direction.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:31 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

No, it's really for practical purposes. Cooking for a five-year old, cooking dinner for a small family and cooking for the occasional dinner party.

Of course, there are lots of vegetarian cookery books and websites, too many to sort through in fact. But I don't understand why the choice of cuisine is questionable - if people were asking about tips for Chinese recipes, you wouldn't ask "wouldn't any good meat cook book serve the purpose?"
Old 01-22-2014, 06:06 AM   #24
Sous Chef

Sorry, but have I missed something? I haven't seen one post that has questioned your choice of cuisine which we have gleaned is vegetarian, only advising that your requirements are so wide (this I happen to see as a good and exciting thing ) you may well need to search through many books to find a good all round selection. What's not to like?

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:16 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

Yes, I agree - I'll simply look more widely and then pick what I like. (That's in addition to the valuable tips for concrete books and websites I've got in this thread so far!)
Old 01-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barly View Post
Of course, there are lots of vegetarian cookery books and websites, too many to sort through in fact.
Oh, I SEE. YOU can't be bothered to sort through so you'd like US to do it for you.

We don't mind helping but we don't want to be taken for a mug.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barly View Post
Yes, I agree - I'll simply look more widely and then pick what I like. (That's in addition to the valuable tips for concrete books and websites I've got in this thread so far!)
I'm glad we could help a little. The Internet is a wild and wooly place for just one person to venture into Although I love to 'venture' (and have an adventure) Google doesn't always sort like we'd like it to and you have to speak it's language. It's a 'art' only learned by experience.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #28
Master Chef

I wouldn't get hung up on recipes. I would just concentrate on cooking some vegetables that your family enjoys.

Toss a few potatoes into the oven to bake, maybe a squash. Fry up a few mushrooms to put over the potatoes, steam some carrots, make a salad and its dinner.

I would also encourage you to include your five year old son in the process, he is old enough to help out in the kitchen, in a few more years he can take a turn at preparing the family dinner once in a while so you and your wife can have a break.

Good luck!
Old 01-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When I was a vegetarian I cooked stuff like shepherd's pie and pasta sauce according to the regular recipe. I just cooked some beans, but not until they were soft. Then I would run them through the meat grinder and fry them up in vegetable oil and substituted that for the minced meat. It worked really well. I used just about any kind of dried beans: kidney beans, navy beans, chick peas,...
Old 01-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Oh, I SEE. YOU can't be bothered to sort through so you'd like US to do it for you.

We don't mind helping but we don't want to be taken for a mug.
I'm sorry if I gave that impression. There are 180'775 books in Amazon's cookery section, and I'm not going even to guess the number of websites. I didn't expect or want anybody in the forum even to have a look at them. But maybe somebody had come across something that would help me - after all, the point of a forum like this is the exchange of experiences and knowledge. (And everybody has to start at some time, as I do now.) That can be "oh, book X which I happen to have is just what you need" or "forget books, take a tomato and cook it".

Tags
vegetarian