"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO traditional English but vegetarian recipes?

(First post, and I'm quite a beginner at cooking…)

Does anyone know of a good collection of recipes of food that is or was common among the English upper classes, both of the nursery/public school and the French cook varieties, but all vegetarian?

If it substitutes tofu for meat and the like, that would be fine, but many books and websites seem to be either full of modern fusion food or otherwise of old-style grim healthfood.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Mmmm,
That's quite a wide brief but maybe you should take a look at ' The Cranks recipe book ' which was published due to the great popularity of the highly thought of "Cranks restaurant"
Vegetarianism as we think of it today is a fairly modern concept in the long history of British cooking I would suggest, as it was considered a 'bit wacky' or for those of an artistic nature ( a bit wacky again ) until as late as the early 60's in some quarters. Soya 'meat' was the most common substitute for meat as it looked like minced meat.
' A Victorian Kitchen ' is also worth a look if you can find a copy as there are recipes for those of a delicate disposition or those recovering from an illness so require a ' light ' diet. We find this amusing now but it was a different mind-set back then.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Yes, that's exactly the problem I have. I'm not interested in recipes for or by ideologists of vegetarianism or raw food or for the ill and feeble. So, no special cuisine, but the same food you'd typically be served at an English upper-class dinner (or, if fancier, dinner party) and in addition the sort up in the nursery and at your boarding school. Just, uh, no meat or fish. Yes, I realise the difficulty. :-)

(Still, the Cranks recipe book is already on its way to me - looking forward.)
Old 01-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barly View Post
Does anyone know of a good collection of recipes of food that is or was common among the English upper classes, both of the nursery/public school and the French cook varieties, but all vegetarian?

If it substitutes tofu for meat and the like, that would be fine, but many books and websites seem to be either full of modern fusion food or otherwise of old-style grim healthfood.
Have you looked at this?Best of British veggie | delicious. Magazine food articles & advice

Some of those recipes might be a little daunting for a new cook and many rely on pastry crusts: but I think with the now available pie crust dough in supermarkets it would make them easier.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
Head Chef

And here's another web site:
Traditional British Food: British Vegetarian Recipes

That site has Bubble and Squeak----- one of my VERY favorite British foods, but probably not served at a fancy dinner.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Oh Cave, you'd be surprised. It comes under the 'Nanny knows best' way of thinking along with bread and butter pudding and spotted Dick. ( Ask Mad Cook if you think I'm joshing you )

Old 01-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
Master Chef

If you use dairy products how about some cheese cauliflower or cabbage with milk.

I also get a kick out of Rinktum Tiddy with toast soldiers!

I would also consider a cottage or shepherds pie, just leave out the shepherd!
Old 01-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #8
Head Chef

Let's not forget that terrific favorite Marmite! It's one of those love it or hate it things------ and I love it!

"Marmite is traditionally eaten as a savoury spread on bread, toast, savoury biscuits or crackers, and other similar baked products. Owing to its concentrated taste it is usually spread thinly with butter or margarine.[12] Marmite can also be made into a savoury hot drink by adding one teaspoon to a mug of hot water much like Bovril."

YUM!!!!!
Old 01-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I must tell a wee story here. When I did a maternity leave classroom ass. stint at our local very rural school in Scotland the cook made a Shepherds pie for lunch. Very popular choice except for one 5yr old newcomer who would, under no circumstances touch it. He was not at all happy for the rest of the day. However, the next day his mum reveled all. He threw himself into his Daddy's arms that evening crying " Daddy, Daddy, I thought they had cooked you"....... His daddy was a Shepherd. Poor little soul had gone all that time worrying, poor wee lad. As adults we sometimes just don't get it do we?

Old 01-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I also get a kick out of Rinktum Tiddy with toast soldiers!
I used to eat Rinktum Ditty a lot for lunch. Why did I stop? Really don't know, but I'm about to start up again.

(The spelling is varied--- one spelling is Rinktum Ditty)

Rinktum Ditty Recipe - Food.com - 128933

Tags
vegetarian