"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO Vanilla Beans for Christmas Vanilla Gifts?

I just wanted to let everyone who is interested in buying some vanilla beans that I placed an order with this company and I was VERY pleased with the service that I received. http://www.saffron.com/

I placed my order Sat 9-8 and this morning Fri 9-14 my vanilla was delivered to my door.

I got 1/2 pound of vanilla beans for $24.79 shipped.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
Master Chef

What kind of beans are they?

Old 09-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
What kind of beans are they?
Tahitian Vanilla Beans

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
Old 09-14-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyR View Post
Tahitian Vanilla Beans
That's a good price if shipping is included. I'm sure your vanilla will be marvelous!
Old 09-14-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
Cook

Wow... that's one heckuva site! Thanks for posting the link. I know where I'm buying my vanilla beans next time.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
That's a good price if shipping is included. I'm sure your vanilla will be marvelous!
Shipping is not included, Tahitian Vanilla Beans 1/2 lb - Gourmet Pack is $15.50...the company is in California and UPS shipping was a $9.28....which added up to $24.79 shipped.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
Wow... that's one heckuva site! Thanks for posting the link. I know where I'm buying my vanilla beans next time.
I thought so to and you’re welcome. I can't believe that I paid $150.00 for 1/2 pound of vanilla beans at Whole Foods in Houston for Christmas gifts last year.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Shipping is not included, Tahitian Vanilla Beans 1/2 lb - Gourmet Pack is $15.50...the company is in California and UPS shipping was a $9.28....which added up to $24.79 shipped.

$25 shipped is a nice price!
Old 09-14-2007, 03:45 PM   #9
Cook

Quote:
I thought so to and you’re welcome. I can't believe that I paid $150.00 for 1/2 pound of vanilla beans at Whole Foods in Houston for Christmas gifts last year.
I know!! I don't do vanilla beans for gifts, but I do make a quite a bit of candy around the holidays and on and off throughout the year so it's easy to go through them. Last time I bought some I paid about $8 per bean and thought it was a good price.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
I know!! I don't do vanilla beans for gifts, but I do make a quite a bit of candy around the holidays and on and off throughout the year so it's easy to go through them. Last time I bought some I paid about $8 per bean and thought it was a good price.
That kind of markup of an item should be illegal!!!

I plan to make several liters of vanilla extract and give the extract, recipe for the extract and a few beans so they can make their own as Christmas gifts this year.

Now I just have to come up with a creative idea on what to put the extract in.

I have a Birds-eye pepperbush that I've had for years. It has blooms, green and red peppers on it all the time…all year long. I use what I want and let the rest go to seed. There is no way I could ever use them all. When the bush starts to get too big I just take my scissors and I give it a hair cut.

Several of my friends have admired the bush on several occasions so I got the idea last year to make some hot! pepper jelly that I gave for Christmas gifts.

I found a small container at the Dollar store that was shaped like a frog and held about 1-1/2 cups of jelly. I ran them through the dishwasher to sterilize them…then I used paraffin to seal the container and glue gunned a tiny decretive cellophane packet to the lid of the jelly jar with some seeds in it from the pepper bush. My friends and family loved it and now they have their own pepperbush as well.

I just hope I can find something as cute for the vanilla as I did for the jelly last year.