"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Andy's link talks about that. I would bet it would make great coconut shrimp!
Now that is a great idea!

Old 06-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
Head Chef

I made coconut butter by whirring unsweetened, unprocessed coconut shreds in my food processor until it thickened (took a bit, 10 min or so). I think I ate most of it by the spoonful. =P But did use it in smoothies, oatmeal, etc.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Is coconut butter the same as the solid blocks of coconut cream I buy for using in curries?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Is coconut butter the same as the solid blocks of coconut cream I buy for using in curries?
Not sure, have never seen a solid block before. I use "coconut milk" from a can when making curries. Do you remember the brand name of what you use? I wanna Google it to see what it looks like.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I don't think it is the same as the solid block. If you took it out of the jar it would not stay the same shape unless it was chilled.

Still looking for someone with TNT recipes...maybe no one has used this before.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #16
Sous Chef

What you have is wonderful, stir a big spoonful into any dish containing chilli and it will mellow out the flavor beautifully. It's wonderful with fish curry, stir a little into the stock to thicken after your fish is cooked . it makes it so velvety OR if you want, take a vanilla ice-cream recipe and substitute 1/3 of the cream with your coconut butter, soften and blend. Proceed as normal, taste and add a little more if you wish.Add fresh grated coconut if possible or dessicated coconut for extra effect Serve with warm lime sauce. Enjoy

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Thanks Menumaker. For the ice cream, would I use coconut extract along with the coconut butter, or vanilla? I am excited about trying coconut ice cream. I never would have thought to add it to chili. That is very interesting.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #18
Sous Chef

As you wish chopper. Coconut and vanilla is a marriage made in heaven. Go with what you like. I would go with vanilla essence as it seems to emphasize the coconut, but make a small batch and adapt as you want. Coconut in Thai cooking is quite usual in in the milder curries. Don't mistake 'mild' for bland. They are truly elegant.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
Not sure, have never seen a solid block before. I use "coconut milk" from a can when making curries. Do you remember the brand name of what you use? I wanna Google it to see what it looks like.
Various brands - I don't stick with any particular one but Blue Dragon comes to mind
Old 06-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Thanks Menumaker. For the ice cream, would I use coconut extract along with the coconut butter, or vanilla? I am excited about trying coconut ice cream. I never would have thought to add it to chili. That is very interesting.
Hey Chopper, your coconut butter is the same as coconut oil, it is solid at room temp. If you leave it out in the summer it will turn to oil quickly.

I use it in my breakfast oatmeal, instead of butter. I have subbed it for butter or oil in cookies and brownies. I like a virgin coconut oil as it gives that coconut flavor to things. Yum!

I'll have to look at the Maranatha, I use their almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower butter...now that one is fun tasting!

Tags
butter, coconut