ISO what is most unusual meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Katie E said:
I never found it to be particularly expensive and, unfortunately, can't get it in my area any more.

It's been called the poor man's lobster and one of the ways I prepared it was to steam it for a few minutes and, then, put it under the broiler to just brown it a bit. I served it with garlic butter for dipping. Yum.

So it’s not expensive? Interesting, and what you just described sounds incredible! I’ll have to look around and see if I can find some!

Jeekinz said:
Foie Gras is pretty high on my list. Who came up with that anyway? I mean, I can see eating different animal parts, but foie gras has to go through a process.

OMG! :shock:

I knew Foie Gras was duck liver, but I never knew the particulars about it. It’s a fatty duck liver that achieves it’s excess fat by a process of force feeding the ducks and geese. I had no idea........

Interestingly enough, Foie Gras was banned in Chicago earlier this year. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a bill in 2004 that will ban the production and sale of Foie Gras in California by 2012. It’s illegal to produce Foie Gras in Britain according to their animal welfare laws (although it can be imported), and the RSPCA is calling for a complete ban of it.

Wow......I had always though it was just liver. :huh:

I'd say zebra is very unusual. No tbecause it is rearor available mostly in Africa, but because for the typoe of animal it is and the life it is living you'd think meat should be very tough, in fact zebra has very tender meat, as the metter of fact stakes are out of this world. Just ask anybody who went on saffari and hind and then ate zebra.

My dh is from Turkey (he is Armenian, however) and the Armenians in Turkey make a dish called "Khash". It's quite unique and requires some getting used to, however, if you can get past the initial prejudices against, it can be tasty.

Khash

4 calves' hooves
6 lamb tongues
2 lbs. calve's tripe (stomach)
2 garlic cloves
Salt, pepper, paprika

Soak feet in boiling water to loosen the shoe, then take off the shoe from each foot. Singe all hairs and scrape off the rest with the edge of a knife. Wash everything very thoroughly. Soak the feet and stomach in water over-night. Each ingredient has to be cooked separately at first.
In a big kettle start cooking the feet with the garlic.
Cut stomach into one inch squares, cook 10 minutes, drain the water. Add fresh water and cook 15 minutes more. Then add to the feet and cook together for 2 hours. When meat separates from foot bones, remove all bones. Also take off scum when formed.
Cook tongues in water until skins can be pulled off easily. Cut up into small pieces. When the feet and stomach is half cooked add the pieces of tongue, and the salt and pepper.
When khash is cooked take off some of its fat into a small frying pan add the paprika and cook a few seconds until paprika is melted, then pour back into the khash. Serve the meat with its own broth in soup plates. Add lemon juice or vinegar when eating. Serves 6

Wow, I wonder how Khash tastes? I’d try it!

I knew a guy long ago from the Philippines, and he told me about a holiday delicacy they used to prepare. It involved stuffing pig’s lungs with the ground up heart, other offal meat, blood, and rice, then they sewed it to together and cooked it.

I couldn’t find that recipe on the net, but I did find one for Blood Pudding or Sausage.
It looks innocent enough.....you could probably take a bite of this and not know what it was.

sausage.jpg

Oops, it asked for meal and thought it was meat, sorry.

As far as Khash goes. Cow's feet that are sold here are pretty clean. I do not use any of the other goofy ingredients as the Armenians in the former Soviet Union do not either. Cow feet and shank meat. In the end it taste like realy really heavy soup. i love it. Now if you ask Ukrainians they will tell you not to stop there and put the stuff in refrigerator. Imagine eating jello that tasts like soup yum. I love it. But I do throw away the cow feet, brrr, yuk, I only keep shank meat, though I would love the tongues too, but it is too expensive, I'm just not have that kind of money. Strongly recomend.

keltin said:
OMG! :shock:

I knew Foie Gras was duck liver, but I never knew the particulars about it. It’s a fatty duck liver that achieves it’s excess fat by a process of force feeding the ducks and geese. I had no idea........

Interestingly enough, Foie Gras was banned in Chicago earlier this year. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a bill in 2004 that will ban the production and sale of Foie Gras in California by 2012. It’s illegal to produce Foie Gras in Britain according to their animal welfare laws (although it can be imported), and the RSPCA is calling for a complete ban of it.

Wow......I had always though it was just liver. :huh:
Don't be too alarmed. Ducks and geese naturally overeat in the fall to grow enough fat for their flight south. If you ever saw them being fed, you wouldn't call it "force!" They walk right up and love every minute!

I have not seen the procedure in the "feed lots," which I am sure is where they ram the stent down their necks to feed them, but if you saw the way "regular" grocery store chickens were raised, you would not eat them. I don't! :ermm: :ohmy:

ChefJune said:
Don't be too alarmed. Ducks and geese naturally overeat in the fall to grow enough fat for their flight south. If you ever saw them being fed, you wouldn't call it "force!" They walk right up and love every minute!

I have not seen the procedure in the "feed lots," which I am sure is where they ram the stent down their necks to feed them, but if you saw the way "regular" grocery store chickens were raised, you would not eat them. I don't! :ermm: :ohmy:

+1

It's called "the gavage", it's just a synthetic way of reproducing a natural process. It gets a bad rap, but yeah, the way commercial chickens are raised bothers me way more, not that I abstain from eating them, lol.

I guess my most unusual meal would have to be BBQ raccoon. I'm quite open about trying new things, but I didn't care for it...it tasted very greasy.

I also had coon in a gumbo once, when I lived on the bayou, but it was in tiny bits, and I didn't know what it was at the time. The gumbo was delicious.

I've had cricket before, it was served a lot like Takoyaki, with a cricket mixture of some kind encased in a fried shell. It was actually very delicious, although it tasted more like "fried" than like whatever cricket probably tastes like.

ChefJune said:

Yeah, the workers basically treated the ducks and geese like living nozzles, shoving tubes right down their throats while the poor buggers quacked and writhed. I'd be all for naturally-overfed duck and goose liver, but since that won't get the foie gras to the obscene size necessary to make a profit I doubt we'll see it happen.

here`s what some of my friends think id Very Unusual (strange) but I like a large bowl of Chips with plenty cheese in layers in between and then filled with gravy.

this is comfort food Supreme!

If your friends think that is strange then you need new friends :LOL: That is one of the most normal things I have ever heard you say :ROFLMAO:

I had to laugh when I read Keltin's list ... I've eaten all of them many times, plus prepared most of them. No one mentioned Ostrich and Imu.

You know, even when people do throw a question out there and don't follow up, I enjoy the give and take the rest of us have when we pick up on a thread.

As a child we ate a lot of organ meats. Beef tongue, heart. What we used to call "gizzards and lizards" (all of the innards that come with the chicken were saved up, then boiled, then mom would boild egg noodles in the broth that created, and then toss is a package of frozen mixed veggies. If my husband would eat it I still would love it). The one thing Daddy liked that Mom would only make for him was kidneys. They smell exactly like what they are.

GB said:
If your friends think that is strange then you need new friends :LOL: That is one of the most normal things I have ever heard you say :ROFLMAO:

But I eat it with Chopsticks! :ermm::w00t2:

YT2095 said:
here`s what some of my friends think id Very Unusual (strange) but I like a large bowl of Chips with plenty cheese in layers in between and then filled with gravy.

this is comfort food Supreme!

YT, we call that 'Cheese fries with gravy'

Some diners have it on their menus.

from slower Delaware come a fine fricase of "Marshrabbit" (muscrat by other name)

clean and skin the critters and hack into parts as you would a rabbit...haunch, breast, forelegs. soak in salted cold water 24 hours changing every 4 hours (except overnight)...soak in seasoned buttermilk 8 hours...
dredge in meal or flour and lightly fry, then braise in dutch oven over mirepoix, with thyme, salt and pepper, neutral broth (veal or chicken), 1/4 cup of wine or wine vinegar.

when fallin' off the bone done, mash veggies into broth and put through a food mill, add butter and flour to the pan, make a roux, add the broth, make a gravy, add the meat, serve over biscuits ... sides of limas or butter beans with pork or bacon, zucchini and tomatoes, whatever is fresh!

save the critter's skins for sale ... good country eatin'

Back
Top Bottom