ISO what is most unusual meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

incredigirl15

Assistant Cook
hi can any of u all tell me what is the most unusual but tasty [NON-VEG]foods/dishes ever made :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

incredigirl15 said:
hi can any of u all tell me what is the most unusual but tasty [NON-VEG]foods/dishes ever made :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

For every meat, there are hundred upon hundreds of ways to cook it. I think your best bet is to first isolate the meat you want to cook, then attack how to cook it.

Some of my favorite “unconventional” meats are:

Buffalo – you can often find this ground or in steaks at the meat counters of some super markets like Kroeger or Bruno’s

Shark – A nice large filet from the back near the dorsal fin. Shark meat, when cooked properly, is some of the best tasting fish I’ve ever had. It’s great fried.

Alligator – Some specialty meat stores carry it. The dark meat is very tasty.

Rabbit – Not that esoteric, but very good

Frogs legs – They taste a little like chicken, but with a slight and pleasant twang.

Escargot – Large snails, a bit chewy depending on how they are cook. Oddly enough, the remind me of good alligator meat.

For something easier to find and more conventional:

Black Angus Beef – A Black Angus Porterhouse or Rib-Eye on the grill is amazing.

Lamb – Chops or Ribs. I love these on the grill as well.

Veal – Chops or even steaks are excellent.

First decide how adventurous you are. Next, find out what you can get in your area. Then you can create the recipe for it!

As far as unusual preparations go, there's the Turducken, which is a chicken stuffed in a duck stuffed in a turkey (I hear it's ridiculously good). Or you could have some steak tartare (raw!).

Unusual meats I recommend include ostrich and alligator. And if you're in Europe, give horse a shot--Gordon Ramsay recommends it!

You know, that's a totally impossible question to answer, because different people/cultures find things commonplace that other people/cultures find strange/repulsive.

As anyone who watches "Bizarre Foods" &/or "No Reservations" on the Travel channel knows, there are cultures where wild pork penises are considered the best part of the pig. Same goes for all sorts of bugs & grubs.

I LOVE escargot (snails) & don't find them unusual at all, but to others they're an exotic gag-fest.

Your question is an impossible/trick one. Do you have a specific purpose in asking it, as in just curiosity or because you want to cook something unusual to you?

Last edited:
BreezyCooking said:
As anyone who watches "Bizarre Foods" &/or "No Reservations" on the Travel channel knows, there are cultures where wild pork penises are considered the best part of the pig. Same goes for all sorts of bugs & grubs.

:shock:

faint.jpg

In all honesty, it is not the uniqueness but the skill in preparation. THe perfectly roasted chicken with root vegetables and fresh sauteed greens is a wonderous meal. The rotissary chicken, over cooked, cold, gluey with starchy instant mashies overy wetted with margarine is vile. Perfect escargot are yummy, but 1 minute over done and they are bitter garlic rubberbands. Beautifully grilled sausasges with fine saurkraut and fresh corn and tomatoes is a brillant meal, but burn them, dry them out, dump kraut from a can, and over cook old horse corn ...faghettit yuk. So

plan your meal and choose a recipe you are comfortable making and make well. (Got a friend who practice thanksgiving twice before actually doing it...tasted great even on the first go thru but she wanted it to be perfect and it was by the third time when the inlaws came by! tada!!

incredigirl15 said:
The dish you think is unusual, I might think is everyday. You've asked a highly subjective question.

F'rinstance... I grew up eating beef tongue. My mom, my aunt and my Grandma all prepared it, and we thought it was delicious, and nothing out of the ordinary. When I mention that to some folks, they get totally grossed out.

Robo - that was my point in questioning the original poster - who is also new here, & sounds rather young - particularly due to the one-sentence post/query. Is she just looking to start a poll sort of dialogue? Or is she interested in putting together an "unusual" meal.

Frankly, since she hasn't chimed in here yet, I'm thinking this may have been just an "off the top of the head" kind of question. I could be wrong, but we'll have to wait for the OP to let us know.

international oddities

animal genetalia, octopus, and fois gras is a bit strange

look :- yes i am very young in my teens now i love cooking and wanted to try one of the most unusual dish ever cooked and wanna try making it.

thats all
am sorry if i posted it in a wrong place

Softened chicken cartilage. Had it at a pub in Tokyo, could not believe all the Japanese businessmen around were were crunching it down with such enjoyment!

Foie Gras is pretty high on my list. Who came up with that anyway? I mean, I can see eating different animal parts, but foie gras has to go through a process.

Katie E said:
Oh, keltin, I love monkfish. He's a gnarly lookin' critter but delicious.

I’ve never had it, but from what I’ve gathered it’s supposed to be pretty good and somewhat expensive (a delicacy perhaps?). I saw that Julia Childs worked with Monk Fish, and they used it on Top Chef, Season 1 (to feed KIDS of all people), so I imagine it’s regarded as a good and expensive cut? How can something so ugly be so treasured?

Still, I’d try it! :)

keltin said:
I’ve never had it, but from what I’ve gathered it’s supposed to be pretty good and somewhat expensive (a delicacy perhaps?). I saw that Julia Childs worked with Monk Fish, and they used it on Top Chef, Season 1 (to feed KIDS of all people), so I imagine it’s regarded as a good and expensive cut? How can something so ugly be so treasured?

Still, I’d try it! :)

I never found it to be particularly expensive and, unfortunately, can't get it in my area any more.

It's been called the poor man's lobster and one of the ways I prepared it was to steam it for a few minutes and, then, put it under the broiler to just brown it a bit. I served it with garlic butter for dipping. Yum.

Back
Top Bottom