ISO what to do with gin...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I so don't drink gin...however, a friend who is moving emptied her liquor cabinet and gave me all the bottles, including a partial bottle of gin. I so don't drink gin, nor do I know anyone who drinks gin...I am thinking I could use this in a marinade for something (maybe add juniper berries)...but what? Inspiration?

I don't do a lot of cooking with booze either--too expensive here. And I definitely would never buy gin...long story about gin and tonics when I was in university, won't ever let gin cross my lips again.

I find that the best use of gin is as a marinade for olives.
It's interesting that a quick Google turns up no recipes using gin other than cocktails.

Try deglazing the pan with it, after you make a steak or chop. Turn the heat off before you pour it in--unless you want flambe. I would use an ounce or so, stir it to loosen the fond, throw a pat of butter in and pour over the steak.

I love gin. If I wasn't worried that people would think I was an alchoholic, I would dab it behind my ears for cologne, it smells so good.

One site suggests gin as a substitute for rice wine. That might make for some interesting dishes. I will have to try that.

One caveat with gin. There are lots of gins, and all have distinctive flavors. Gin is essentially flavored alcohol. Flavors range from crisp and spicy through summery and to cucumber. I would taste the bottle and go from there.

I'm not sure what recipe you can use for the gin, though i've had some great meals inspired by a Gin & Tonic!

To me, Sapphire is a fairly fruity gin that I would consider a summer drink. I can see it as an interesting ingredient in a fruit salad marinade

The good stuff.
Jim Rome constantly talks up that gin. From what I've heard, it is sacrileges to even use it in a mixed drink.
Oh--so for drinking, does one put it in the freezer like good vodka, schnapps, etc., so it is chilled and drink it straight up? Maybe my mistake was the tonic...:mellow:

I've tried putting gin in the freezer, and I've tried premixing martini's and freezing, and for some reason they do not seem to come out well.

Agree. Gin doesn't seem to do as well straight out of the freezer as vodka.

That's what I was thinking. I'm sure they would appreciate a good bottle of gin.

I don't do a lot of cooking with booze. You might try some marinades using gin in place of tequila in a tequila lime marinade recipe. I'm sure there are others.

This one looks good. Tequila Lime Chicken Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

I seldomly disagree with you, but as a fan of both gin and tequila I will assure you they can't be subbed. There are lots if tequila/lime recipes out there, often with tomatoes. Gin tastes so totally different that it won't work.

Infuse the gun with cucumbers or cukes and mint and give it away as a gift.

To whom should I give it--no one I know drinks gin...except, I guess, this friend who is moving...I'm leaning toward a fruit-salad...not this weekend, but sometime...I just don't like gin...had one bad experience and that put me off gin for LIFE.

Sapphire and Rangphur (sp?) are my gins of choice. Gin isn't fruity, it's herbaceous. And sometimes vegetal (Hendricks has cucumber).

They do great in the freezer.

Infused gin can be delicious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom