"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
If you use meat add the yams once the meat is tender and the cream just a few minutes before serving. Yams will turn to mush if you add at the same time.
I think we were being asked what meat would we serve the yams as a side dish with. I can't remember ever putting yams in a meat dish. Maybe in Norman's tuber hash and/or a Moroccan lamb tajine, but I'm not sure and too lazy to look it up right now.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I think we were being asked what meat would we serve the yams as a side dish with. I can't remember ever putting yams in a meat dish. Maybe in Norman's tuber hash and/or a Moroccan lamb tajine, but I'm not sure and too lazy to look it up right now.
Perhaps. In South Africa we use Yams, pumpkin, sweet potatoes and other squash in meat curries and stews.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I also make glazed carrots the same way, but skip the whipped cream.
With the exact same ingredients? Hmm, I might try that too. I’m not really a carrot person though.

@CraigC - I tried your recipe last night. (the one w/ bourbon, etc.) It wasn’t bad. I couldn’t get the cream to turn entirely to whipped cream. I don’t know if I didn’t whip them long enough, but I whipped them with the whisker for five minutes straight. Both of my hands and arms started to ache very quickly. But there was some whipped cream at the top and liquid at the bottom. I put it in the freezer. I was thinking that when I finish eating all the whipped cream that I did produce then I could just try and whip the cream at the bottom again and hopefully it turns to whipped cream...

It was an ok recipe though. I didn’t have an brown sugar so I used evaporated cane sugar instead. I will brown sugar as instructed next time because I get the feeling that it would have tasted better if brown sugar would have been used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I can feel my arteries clenching up just thinking about that.
Yeah, I tried that but it did not taste very good to me at all. But you know, whole milk has more fat in it than heavy whipping cream and I drink that straight all the time. (I love raw milk straight from the cow/sheep/goat!)

Quote:
I make it without meat most times but cubed lamb or beef would work well.
I had to look up “cubing” to learn how to do it. I used this though:
Cubing Fruits and Vegetables Article - Allrecipes.com

Jeez, it is kinda hard to get down and perform “correctly”.

Quote:
Perhaps. In South Africa we use Yams, pumpkin, sweet potatoes and other squash in meat curries and stews.
Yes, I was asking about what meats to actually eat with the Yams. Sorry, I should have put your name, Snip 13.

With the curry, do you put yams, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, and squash all into the same curry or stew OR were you just saying that you all have different curries & stews with different yams, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, and squash put in separately. I ask because I bought some seasonal squashes that we only get once a year here in Hawai’i and I will be looking for some delicious recipes to use them in. And I do love super spicy curries/stews! (I’ll post a separate thread for them though.)
Old 11-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentcook View Post
But you know, whole milk has more fat in it than heavy whipping cream and I drink that straight all the time. (I love raw milk straight from the cow/sheep/goat!)
Hmmm... I'm not sure how you figure that.

One cup of store bought whole milk has 8 grams of fat and 150 calories. Raw milk has just slightly more milk fat.

By comparison, one cup of heavy whipping cream has 88 grams of fat (11 times moe than whole milk) and 820 calories.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Calories in Meadow Gold Old Style Heavy Whipping Cream - Nutrition Facts & Other Nutritional Information | LIVESTRONG.COM

Calories in Meadow Gold Whole Milk - Nutrition Facts & Other Nutritional Information | LIVESTRONG.COM

^ There you go. Those are the two exact products that I used.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
Wine Guy

Not exactly. Look again at the serving sizes. You are comparing one tablespoon of cream to one cup of milk.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Oh wow! You're right, I guess that's why it had such a strong taste.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentcook View Post
With the exact same ingredients? Hmm, I might try that too. I’m not really a carrot person though.

@CraigC - I tried your recipe last night. (the one w/ bourbon, etc.) It wasn’t bad. I couldn’t get the cream to turn entirely to whipped cream. I don’t know if I didn’t whip them long enough, but I whipped them with the whisker for five minutes straight. Both of my hands and arms started to ache very quickly. But there was some whipped cream at the top and liquid at the bottom. I put it in the freezer. I was thinking that when I finish eating all the whipped cream that I did produce then I could just try and whip the cream at the bottom again and hopefully it turns to whipped cream...

It was an ok recipe though. I didn’t have an brown sugar so I used evaporated cane sugar instead. I will brown sugar as instructed next time because I get the feeling that it would have tasted better if brown sugar would have been used.

Yeah, I tried that but it did not taste very good to me at all. But you know, whole milk has more fat in it than heavy whipping cream and I drink that straight all the time. (I love raw milk straight from the cow/sheep/goat!)

I had to look up “cubing” to learn how to do it. I used this though:
Cubing Fruits and Vegetables Article - Allrecipes.com

Jeez, it is kinda hard to get down and perform “correctly”.

Yes, I was asking about what meats to actually eat with the Yams. Sorry, I should have put your name, Snip 13.

With the curry, do you put yams, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, and squash all into the same curry or stew OR were you just saying that you all have different curries & stews with different yams, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, and squash put in separately. I ask because I bought some seasonal squashes that we only get once a year here in Hawai’i and I will be looking for some delicious recipes to use them in. And I do love super spicy curries/stews! (I’ll post a separate thread for them though.)
Hi There
Yes we do add the yams or squash into the dish with meat. Lamb is my favourite. Make it like you do stew. You can look under my profile, then under threads I started. My bunny chow recipe is a good curry to add yams etc to. If you can't find it just let me know and I'll help you
As for the cubed meat.. I just cut the stewing lamb or beef into chunks about the same size as the yams. Makes it visually apealing and easy to eat.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cream, recipe