ISO - Yams, heavy cream recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

studentcook

Assistant Cook
I bought some Yams and I have a lot of extra heavy whipping cream left over from the mashed potatoes recipe I tried a few minutes ago. I have been looking on Google but I don't see any simple way to use these two together. I was wondering what you all think I can do with them.

Normally I guess I would just bake the Yams and eat them with butter but I have no idea what to do with this extra heavy whipping cream. I could just toss it but I thought that I should at least ask here first. It is about to spoil too so that is why I am kinda rushing.

I found this about two uses of heavy whipping cream:
2 Uses for Heavy Whipping Cream | eHow.com

I read on another thread that I could just freeze it and when I find some kind of way to use it then thaw it and use it. Taste will not be the same but will still be "ok"...

You could make a Yam pie as you would sweet potato pie and serve it with cream. You could also add the cream to the yams like mashed potato. Mashed yams are delicious. You could cube the yams and steam them then serve with a creamy curry sauce. How much cream do you have?

here's an idea. Steam the cubed yam. Then fry one large chopped onion and about 2 tsps of crushed garlic with some curry powder or paste. As much as you like, not sure how strong you like curry. Add a can of chopped tomatoes, season with salt and pepper. Add about half a tsp of ground cinnamon and a dash of ground coriander seeds. Add the yams, simmer for 5-10 mins and lastly stir in the cream. Serve with basmati or regular rice or even some naan bread.
You can change the spices as you like, this is just off the top of my head, I don't use recipes, just taste as I go along.

Last edited:
I'm a milk lover. When I had extra heavy cream I just drank it. Sinfully luxurious!

Pour the cream into a chilled mixing bowl and wisk until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until yams are done.

Cube the yams, 1", add to a saute pan with 1/4 cup water and a pinch of salt. Cover and steam over med-high heat until water evaporates and yams are tender. You might need to add water if the yams aren't done. Reduce heat to medium. Add 1/2 stick of butter, 1-2 Tbsp of light brown sugar and a splash or two of bourbon. Cook until glaze is thickened. Serve topped with whipped cream!:yum:

If you're like Paula Dean, use as much butter as you like.:rolleyes:

How much cream do you have?
About ¾ of a quart.
I'm a milk lover. When I had extra heavy cream I just drank it. Sinfully luxurious!
Oh my! I have never thought of that. I am definitely about to try that.

I love the sound of both your recipes, CraigC and snip13! I will try Craig’s first and then I might just buy more cream to try the other one since it sounds so yummy. What sort of meat would you say goes best with that recipe you thought up?

Usually with poultry or roast pork. Have you ever made creamed spinach? That would be a good side for a nice ribeye.

I also make glazed carrots the same way, but skip the whipped cream.

Last edited:
About ¾ of a quart.

Oh my! I have never thought of that. I am definitely about to try that.

I love the sound of both your recipes, CraigC and snip13! I will try Craig’s first and then I might just buy more cream to try the other one since it sounds so yummy. What sort of meat would you say goes best with that recipe you thought up?

I make it without meat most times but cubed lamb or beef would work well.
My daughter calls me the curry queen, she says I'll curry cornflakes if I could :LOL:
If you use meat add the yams once the meat is tender and the cream just a few minutes before serving. Yams will turn to mush if you add at the same time.

If you use meat add the yams once the meat is tender and the cream just a few minutes before serving. Yams will turn to mush if you add at the same time.

I think we were being asked what meat would we serve the yams as a side dish with. I can't remember ever putting yams in a meat dish. Maybe in Norman's tuber hash and/or a Moroccan lamb tajine, but I'm not sure and too lazy to look it up right now.

I think we were being asked what meat would we serve the yams as a side dish with. I can't remember ever putting yams in a meat dish. Maybe in Norman's tuber hash and/or a Moroccan lamb tajine, but I'm not sure and too lazy to look it up right now.

Perhaps. In South Africa we use Yams, pumpkin, sweet potatoes and other squash in meat curries and stews.

I also make glazed carrots the same way, but skip the whipped cream.
With the exact same ingredients? Hmm, I might try that too. I’m not really a carrot person though.

@CraigC - I tried your recipe last night. (the one w/ bourbon, etc.) It wasn’t bad. I couldn’t get the cream to turn entirely to whipped cream. I don’t know if I didn’t whip them long enough, but I whipped them with the whisker for five minutes straight. Both of my hands and arms started to ache very quickly. But there was some whipped cream at the top and liquid at the bottom. I put it in the freezer. I was thinking that when I finish eating all the whipped cream that I did produce then I could just try and whip the cream at the bottom again and hopefully it turns to whipped cream...

It was an ok recipe though. I didn’t have an brown sugar so I used evaporated cane sugar instead. I will brown sugar as instructed next time because I get the feeling that it would have tasted better if brown sugar would have been used.

I can feel my arteries clenching up just thinking about that.
Yeah, I tried that but it did not taste very good to me at all. But you know, whole milk has more fat in it than heavy whipping cream and I drink that straight all the time. (I love raw milk straight from the cow/sheep/goat!)

I make it without meat most times but cubed lamb or beef would work well.
I had to look up “cubing” to learn how to do it. I used this though:
Cubing Fruits and Vegetables Article - Allrecipes.com

Jeez, it is kinda hard to get down and perform “correctly”.

Perhaps. In South Africa we use Yams, pumpkin, sweet potatoes and other squash in meat curries and stews.
Yes, I was asking about what meats to actually eat with the Yams. Sorry, I should have put your name, Snip 13.

With the curry, do you put yams, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, and squash all into the same curry or stew OR were you just saying that you all have different curries & stews with different yams, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, and squash put in separately. I ask because I bought some seasonal squashes that we only get once a year here in Hawai’i and I will be looking for some delicious recipes to use them in. And I do love super spicy curries/stews! (I’ll post a separate thread for them though.)

But you know, whole milk has more fat in it than heavy whipping cream and I drink that straight all the time. (I love raw milk straight from the cow/sheep/goat!)
Hmmm... I'm not sure how you figure that.

One cup of store bought whole milk has 8 grams of fat and 150 calories. Raw milk has just slightly more milk fat.

By comparison, one cup of heavy whipping cream has 88 grams of fat (11 times moe than whole milk) and 820 calories.

Last edited:
With the exact same ingredients? Hmm, I might try that too. I’m not really a carrot person though.

@CraigC - I tried your recipe last night. (the one w/ bourbon, etc.) It wasn’t bad. I couldn’t get the cream to turn entirely to whipped cream. I don’t know if I didn’t whip them long enough, but I whipped them with the whisker for five minutes straight. Both of my hands and arms started to ache very quickly. But there was some whipped cream at the top and liquid at the bottom. I put it in the freezer. I was thinking that when I finish eating all the whipped cream that I did produce then I could just try and whip the cream at the bottom again and hopefully it turns to whipped cream...

It was an ok recipe though. I didn’t have an brown sugar so I used evaporated cane sugar instead. I will brown sugar as instructed next time because I get the feeling that it would have tasted better if brown sugar would have been used.

Yeah, I tried that but it did not taste very good to me at all. But you know, whole milk has more fat in it than heavy whipping cream and I drink that straight all the time. (I love raw milk straight from the cow/sheep/goat!)

I had to look up “cubing” to learn how to do it. I used this though:
Cubing Fruits and Vegetables Article - Allrecipes.com

Jeez, it is kinda hard to get down and perform “correctly”.

Yes, I was asking about what meats to actually eat with the Yams. Sorry, I should have put your name, Snip 13.

With the curry, do you put yams, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, and squash all into the same curry or stew OR were you just saying that you all have different curries & stews with different yams, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, and squash put in separately. I ask because I bought some seasonal squashes that we only get once a year here in Hawai’i and I will be looking for some delicious recipes to use them in. And I do love super spicy curries/stews! (I’ll post a separate thread for them though.)

Hi There :)
Yes we do add the yams or squash into the dish with meat. Lamb is my favourite. Make it like you do stew. You can look under my profile, then under threads I started. My bunny chow recipe is a good curry to add yams etc to. If you can't find it just let me know and I'll help you :)
As for the cubed meat.. I just cut the stewing lamb or beef into chunks about the same size as the yams. Makes it visually apealing and easy to eat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom