"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #91
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
So you don't use any red sauce at all? No ricotta?
The meat sauce I mentioned is a red sauce. So the lasagna sauce is a tomato sauce with meat mixed with bechamel. A true bechamel would be a meat sauce with tomato and cream.

No, I do not use ricotta. I don't like ricotta so I adopted and adapted Luca Lazzari's recipe for a Bolognese-style lasagna without ricotta. According to Luca, most lasagna in Italy does not include ricotta.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #92
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
According to Luca, most lasagna in Italy does not include ricotta.
From my experience, I believe this to be true....

Old 01-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #93
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The meat sauce I mentioned is a red sauce. So the lasagna sauce is a tomato sauce with meat mixed with bechamel. A true bechamel would be a meat sauce with tomato and cream.

No, I do not use ricotta. I don't like ricotta so I adopted and adapted Luca Lazzari's recipe for a Bolognese-style lasagna without ricotta. According to Luca, most lasagna in Italy does not include ricotta.

I hate ricotta cheese. It why I don't order it when I go out to eat.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #94
Executive Chef

We have a brand of ricotta around here called Lamagna. It is so outstanding I love to eat it right out of the carton. I've never tasted a ricotta that good. My step daughter does not like ricotta, so when I made lasagne I only put a small amount it. I could easily make it without it. I just thought your Bolognese-style lasagne sounded good and wondered what else was in it, Andy.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #95
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
We have a brand of ricotta around here called Lamagna. It is so outstanding I love to eat it right out of the carton. I've never tasted a ricotta that good. My step daughter does not like ricotta, so when I made lasagne I only put a small amount it. I could easily make it without it. I just thought your Bolognese-style lasagne sounded good and wondered what else was in it, Andy.

Carol, here is the recipe I referred to. I changed it to use half Italian sausage and half ground beef. Also, I use half parm and half mozz.

I make this in my recipe rotation now and we love it.

Luca’s meat lasagna easy recipe – Franca’s style
Old 01-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #96
Sous Chef

Quote:

I make a sort of Bolognese sauce. I mix bechamel with a meat (sausage and ground beef) sauce and layer that with the noodles and a combination of parm and mozz.
Andy - When you say "sausage" do you mean ground pork, or some sort of pre-seasoned sausage meat. I see this mentioned a lot and I am never sure what is meant. I see what is labeled sausage meat in some grocery stores but all it is is ground pork.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #97
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
Andy - When you say "sausage" do you mean ground pork, or some sort of pre-seasoned sausage meat. I see this mentioned a lot and I am never sure what is meant. I see what is labeled sausage meat in some grocery stores but all it is is ground pork.

I use sweet Italian sausage removed from the casings.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #98
Executive Chef

Quote:
Carol, here is the recipe I referred to. I changed it to use half Italian sausage and half ground beef. Also, I use half parm and half mozz.

I make this in my recipe rotation now and we love it.

Luca’s meat lasagna easy recipe – Franca’s style

There seems to be no seasoning other than salt, but I imagine all the other ingredients add to the flavor. I will try that recipe.

I have one more question. LOL I was googling recipes for bechamel and I see that some are just a white sauce and others include cheese and/or eggs. For example, I think I would really like this Vegetable Lasagne. The bechemel includes cheese and eggs. Is that common?

Vegetable Lasagna With A Thick Bechamel Sauce Recipe - Food.com - 251309
Old 01-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #99
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
There seems to be no seasoning other than salt, but I imagine all the other ingredients add to the flavor. I will try that recipe.

I have one more question. LOL I was googling recipes for bechamel and I see that some are just a white sauce and others include cheese and/or eggs. For example, I think I would really like this Vegetable Lasagne. The bechemel includes cheese and eggs. Is that common?

Vegetable Lasagna With A Thick Bechamel Sauce Recipe - Food.com - 251309
Bechamel is white sauce. Fat, flour, milk and some salt and pepper. Anything else is not part of Bechamel regardless of what someone on the internet says.

That doesn't make that a bad recipe.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #100
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Bechamel is white sauce. Fat, flour, milk and some salt and pepper. Anything else is not part of Bechamel regardless of what someone on the internet says.

That doesn't make that a bad recipe.
What I question for that béchamel sauce is the use of skim dairy products. It makes for a weak sauce in my book. I want my cream sauces to be rich. If the writer is using them for dietary reasons such as calories, what is the sense? It is already calling for one stick of butter.

Tags
cook, cooking, italian