"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #101
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

I use sweet Italian sausage removed from the casings.
OK great, thanks Andy.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:27 AM   #102
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It is only about a 1.5 hours drive from here. Head back up there again before you go back to Ohio. Unless you have relatives here, the chance of you ever coming back this way is doubtful............
Addie, HOW fast are you or your driver going? Boston to Rockland is about 180 miles! It's about 4 hours or so from our house, so it would be even longer if we picked you up too. We were there years ago, and I'm not even sure we would recognize which restaurant it was - if it's even there anymore. We will have family back here when we move, but when we come back we'll just want to visit and eat locally if we go out at all.

As far as the cheese goes, the flavor was very light but I think it was Parm. Even if I don't duplicate the recipe exactly I'm sure we'd like whatever I created.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:33 AM   #103
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
The recipe I saw was for a basic red sauce lasagne, then half way through the baking you add the bechamel on top and continue baking.
My post was referring to two different pans of lasagna. My red sauce lasagna is just red sauce. The seafood lasagna had a creamy white sauce. Does that explain it?
Old 01-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #104
Assistant Cook

Yes CarolPa. We put the béchamel sauce on lasagne, but not only on the top. After put the red sauce, you do putting the white sauce.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #105
Master Chef

Quote:
I have one more question. LOL I was googling recipes for bechamel and I see that some are just a white sauce and others include cheese and/or eggs. For example, I think I would really like this Vegetable Lasagne. The bechemel includes cheese and eggs. Is that common?

Vegetable Lasagna With A Thick Bechamel Sauce Recipe - Food.com - 251309
If it contains cheese or eggs its not béchamel sauce.

Béchamel sauce is white sauce, made from butter and flour and milk. Seasoned with salt and pepper and often nutmeg.

If you add cheese, it's called Mornay Sauce. If you add eggs it's something else.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #106
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
My post was referring to two different pans of lasagna. My red sauce lasagna is just red sauce. The seafood lasagna had a creamy white sauce. Does that explain it?
I think I understand your process with the 2 different types of lasagne. I was noting that the recipe I saw in the cookbook was a complete red sauce lasagne, and the bechamel was just an added layer on top. Others have said that they combine the red sauce and the bechemel, or they use a layer of red sauce and then a layer of bechemel as they assemble the lasagne. I guess there are many ways to do it depending on what one prefers.

I have made bechamel for other recipes, just the flour, butter, milk but never saw it with cheese added unless I was making mac and cheese.

And Addie, I make it with skim milk because that's what I buy day to day. Sometimes I might buy a small bottle of whole milk for a certain recipe.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #107
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...I have made bechamel for other recipes, just the flour, butter, milk but never saw it with cheese...
Bechamel is one of the five mother sauces of traditional French cooking. It's fat, flour and milk. If you add cheese, the bechamel becomes a mornay sauce. So, bechamel = white sauce and mornay = cheese sauce.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #108
Master Chef

The way my former half-italian boyfriend told me to do the Lasagna is red sauce with ground beef (a bolognese-kind), and then alternately bechamel, red, bechamel... and always end with the bechamel...
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #109
Assistant Cook

Hi Cara. I'm completely Italian (so sorry for my bad English). That isn't a correct order. Onto the pasta, let's put the red sauce (bolognese) and after the bechamel sauce. Then pasta, red sauce and bechamel sauce and so on.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #110
Executive Chef

Where it's going, it's all going to be mixed together anyway, so I don't think it really matters what order you put it on.

Tags
cook, cooking, italian