"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #31
Executive Chef

I love meatballs with lots of filler. My ex had a Zia who would bring us home made meatballs to work at the bar when I lived in Italy. She loaded them with garlic, Romano cheese and eggs and simmered them in tomato sauce. They had a very spongy texture and melted in your mouth. The best I have ever tasted and I could never reproduce them..

Old 01-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post

Did you post a recipe of this? I'd like to try it!

With love,
~Cat
Sure, Cat, it's just a 32 oz jar of Welch's grape jelly, and 3 bottles of Heinz Chili sauce. You mix the sauce together, throw in your frozen meatballs (I used 64 ounces) , cook together until it's heated through, then pour into your crock pot and keep warm. You can do the whole thing in your crock pot, or on the stove. Cut back on the measurements if you want.

Aunt Bea had a great idea, these are normally served with toothpicks, but she suggested spearing them with pretzel sticks, so the toothpicks don't show up all over the house!

And obviously, this is not Italian, but has been a very popular recipe since the 1950‘s and around here, it disappears quickly!

Old 01-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Sure, Cat, it's just a 32 oz jar of Welch's grape jelly, and 3 bottles of Heinz Chili sauce. You mix the sauce together, throw in your frozen meatballs (I used 64 ounces) , cook together until it's heated through, then pour into your crock pot and keep warm...

This is really good. You can also use sliced kielbasa, Lil Smokies or cocktail franks.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:11 PM   #34
Proud American

Oh this sounds so good! I love grape jelly, jam, or anything of grapes. Thank you both!

With love, ~Cat
Old 01-08-2014, 12:21 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

This is really good. You can also use sliced kielbasa, Lil Smokies or cocktail franks.
Yes! DH announced that his potluck was the same day as mine, the day before the potlucks so I had him get some Little Smokies and threw those into the sauce along with the meatballs. He got the little crock pot to take to work.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:18 AM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Do most people like ground beef in their sauce? Laki makes hers with hamburger and Carl's mom does also. Mamma uses the Italian sausage and veal in hers and that's where I got that idea.

With love,
~Cat
I like it very much - would be a suggestion for my last meal if I'm going to be executed
It has to cook long enough until the ground beef is tender..
But you might give ground pork a try, if it's the beef you don't like.

Or go for a nice carbonara ;o)
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:41 AM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Do most people like ground beef in their sauce? Laki makes hers with hamburger and Carl's mom does also. Mamma uses the Italian sausage and veal in hers and that's where I got that idea.

With love,
~Cat
We're on our third generation of making sauce with the family recipe that uses ground chuck as the meat. It started when my MIL (of Slovak descent) fine-tuned her recipe, taught it to Himself. who then taught me. I've tweaked it over the years and now our daughter makes it every once in a great while. It was one of the "Mom must make" foods when we were in OH for Christmas. Oh, and the recipe is also included in a neighborhood cookbook one of the neighbor's put together from all of our best-loved foods.

The best part about cooking though is that YOU get to put in whatever YOU like best! If a recipe calls for one ingredient that you really don't like, feel free to try a different ingredient. Either you love it...or you decide to never add that ingredient again!
Old 01-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

I like to use either ground pork or Italian sausage (loose) in meat sauce.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
So I should look for Lidia Bastianich books?

Yeah, like I don't have enough to do on this enforced vacation.
PF I don't know if you watch her show, but she came to this country as a DP (Displaced Person). The Catholic Charities brought them to this country after they fled communism in northern Italy. Throughout her series she has shared her story and shows pictures of when she was a little girl during WWII. He mother now lives with her and often appears on her show. Her son is partners with Mario Batalli and a wine expert. Her daughter studied European Art History and often appears on her show also.

In her books she often shares her stories and how the dishes she makes are part of her life. She tells why a certain ingredient came into being in place of the obvious. Aside from the recipes, makes for some very interesting reading.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I lost control of watching food shows when Shrek retired.

Tags
cook, cooking, italian